Springfield XD Forum banner

Top 5 best 9mm pistols

495K views 139 replies 104 participants last post by  CPTKILLER 
#1 ·
In your opinion what do you think are the 5 best 9mm pistols of all time?

#127 ·
1) XD-M. Can't beat 20 rounds out of a 4 1/2 in barrel. Great trigger and adjustable grip size. The grip safety is just enough to make it safer than others. Loaded chamber indicator is a great feature.

2) Sig 226/229 You can use 18 round after market mags in both. Best 9's with external hammer. Solid contruction and feel great. Decocking lever is another plus.

3) Glock 17/19 Most utilitarian pistols around. These are the AK-47's of pistols. Interchangeable high capacity mags and the same 5 1/2 pound trigger pull on all of them. The Glock 26 is about the best mini 9 out there.

4) Beretta 92. Another wonderful 9. For me the most accurate. 18 round after market mags make it a great fighting pistol. I sent mine to Tooltech for night sights.

5) Browning HP. Used one for years. Used Brazilian 15 round mags. Great shooter and fought with it a bunch of times. Issued to me in 1970. Still have it. Always disliked the mag disconnect. Haven't carried it regularly for years. I carried the HP and a 1911 for about ten years - yes both at the same time.

I have all of the above. They all have night sights and no other do-dads. I feel adequately armed with any of them. Lately I have been partial to the Glock 19 and the XD-M9. I don't use a holster. I use a Clipdraw.

High capacity and good ammo choice make the 9's the best and most utilitarian self defense and target pistols for the one pistol person. For such persons that need only one pistol for carry and home defense I recommend the Glock 19. It is perfect for beginners and used by spec ops guys as well. The range of utility is very good.

One gun choice- the XD-M!

#128 ·
Sig 210
Hk vp70
S&w 5906
Ruger p85
Glock 17

Bet nobody posted that list. ;)

#131 ·
Here's 5 more "best" 9mm's

HK P9S
CZ 75B
HS2000
Walther p99
SW 940

#134 ·
Glock 17/19 (3rd gen or older)
Grip angle to severe. Doesn't point naturally and makes my arthritis hurt.
92 Beretta
Big and clunky.
CZ-75 (the older pre-B guns)
Excellent choice
FN Hi-Power
CZ75 is better. It also pinches the skin between my thumb and trigger finger. No gun is fun to shoot if you're bleeding.
SIG P226/P228 (W. German made guns)
P210 was/is a great gun. These jam for my son and me.
You can start and end with the original CZ75, though a hi-cap 1911 in 9x19 isn't bad (not as good as one in .38 Super, but this is only about 9x19s)

#137 ·
I still stick with these:

Glock 17/19 (3rd gen or older)
92 Beretta
CZ-75 (the older pre-B guns)
FN Hi-Power
SIG P226/P228 (W. German made guns)

Buy any of those and you cannot go wrong.
This is my list as well.

#138 ·
My five, in no order:

1. CZ 75. Fantastic ergonomics, very soft shooting, easy to be accurate with (despite a very pedestrian trigger). Just about everyone who shoots these can shoot accurately, right away. With a little trigger work, they become perfect duty weapons. Many of the clones are every bit as good.

2. Sig Sauer P226 Navy. My experiences with the P226 have been flawless, and this model brings a rail and a ridiculous finish to the party. Another 'OK' trigger, but everything else is great.

3. Beretta M9. Brilliant design. Reliable, resilient, and easy to shoot accurately. Sexy. Rugged enough for heavy use and abuse, and still cool enough to have been carried by John McClain and Murtaugh.

4. HK P7. Unique. Stupid accurate. Tough.

5. Caracal C. I'm being serious. I believe that (following the firing pin block fix), this is the best polymer pistol on the market. Glock reliability-through-simplicity, an out-of-the-box trigger almost equal to the PPQ's, versatile size (great for duty AND concealed carry), bore axis similar to the Ruger SR9. It's basically perfect. It has already passed both the German Police tests, and NATO tests.

Through working in the gun business, I've met a ton of wannabe operators, a lot of former servicemen who embellish what they did, and... a few guys who have been really deep in it. Here are some opinions from some serious guys, from in-house "best/favorite" conversation:

1. Actual former (Army) operator: M9. When asked why this was his choice, he said, "Because we (team) actually had to USE our sidearms." That was all the answer he gave.

2. Former Ranger/current contractor: "Handgun? Who cares? Give me an HK416."

3. Former private security contractor: "HK P7" (note: despite raving about the P7, he actually carried an HK USP 9 compact. The P7's weakness is capacity.)

Intentionally left off my list:
1. Browning Hi-Power. Certainly one of the most relevant designs in history, but the trigger is not great, and it has teeth. While I consider it one of the best collector pieces out there, it is no longer a superior sidearm.

2. Glock. 15 years ago, this would have made the list. I can't put it on today, given that the XD, XDm, M&P, P99, PPQ, SR9, HK P2000, HK P30, HK USP, FNH FNS 9, and other firearms are roughly equal to Glock, or arguably superior. While many people will disagree with some particulars I've mentioned in this breath, the bottom line is that Glock does not stand above its peers, anymore. It's just 'one of the guys'.

These are opinions, of course. You may disagree.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.