Springfield XD Forum banner

Top 5 best 9mm pistols

495K views 139 replies 104 participants last post by  CPTKILLER 
#1 ·
In your opinion what do you think are the 5 best 9mm pistols of all time?

#102 ·
Interesting reading!
Here are my top 5 and based on shooting them although I have a feeling that others would be on the list if I had the chance to shoot them, notably the Hi-Power and a HK P30 (felt great in the hand, but haven't shot it yet). Oh yeah, probably a Sig 226 which is on the wish list.

1. Beretta M-9, 92 variants. I have several of these guns, all of which have been stone cold reliable and are my most accurate pistols for me to shoot, especially the Elite II with it's heavy slide and Novak sights.

2. Beretta Storm Sub-Compact. I have to say I bought it for the looks and being a Beretta fan. Thought that I didn't like it at first due to the feel of the grips (3 backstraps did not change much for me). Started taking it to fun gun competitions since I carry this most of the time and it has climbed all the way to 2nd on my list. The more I shoot it, the more I like it. Also I now like the way it feels! Smooth trigger, definite reset, very accurate for a 3" barrel gun.

3. Glock 19. This one was tough as I don't shoot it as well as my other guns. That being said I love the simplicity of it, the durability, and the trigger reset is the most pronounced, with the least amount of take-up before it breaks. This gun also carries very well due to the weight and smooth slide/grip (no safeties/levers/etc) I can't put my finger on it, but it is a fun gun to shoot!

4. Ruger P-95 (What you say??) Well I bought one of these for next to nothing at a local pawn shop because if felt good in my hand (I have big hands, hence the love for the 92) and this thing has been unstoppable. At one time I was putting close to 1000 rounds every week or two through it and it still looks brand new when I tear it down. Almost everyone I have had shoot it shoots it better than their new pistol they brought to the range that day. Made the list due to the cost $250 and the durability. I think it is a very under-rated gun. Hardly ever shoot it anymore, but it is still my nightstand gun.

5. FNP-9. I have only shot this gun once, but really like the way it felt and the accuracy for me the first time shooting it. Looked it over pretty close and seemed to be pretty well built.

For what it is worth, I currently own an M&P 9c, Hi-point, lots of Berettas, the Ruger, a G19, and an XD9 in 9mm. For some reason the XD and M&P have not lit my fire as of yet. The M&P does seem really well built though. Be interesting to see what my Fiance thinks as I believe the XD is her favorite as she shoots it best.

#107 ·
I am a relatively new shooter, but I have been fortunate enough to shoot several 9mm pistols. That being said, my top 5 9mm are as follows:

1) CZ Sp-01 Shadow Custom :)
2) Browning High Power :)
3) Beretta PX 4 Storm full size
4) H&K P30L
5) XDM 4.5

PS: Planning to check out the Sig Sauer P226 Tac Ops today after work

#109 ·
Only based on those I have fired...

1. HK USPc (oozes quality IMO and I shoot it very well)
2. Glock 26 (I like the baby Glock but really don't care for the G17, go figure)
3. CZ-75b (my first handgun, the ergos are really great)
4. CZ-P01 (good ergos, like the 75b in a smaller package)
5. HS2000 (best bang for buck)

I never took a liking to the Beretta though I recognize that they're one of the iconic 9mm's.

Never shot a Sig or Browning Hi Power :sad:

#112 ·
I've shot the Glock ,Xd's in different 9mm sizes,walther PPS, and a couple 1911 9mm's just to name a few. They are all great guns in there own right and some I liked better than others, but if I had to have just one 9mm and only one that I have personally owned/ shot and not just heard talked about on the net. It would be the CZ75 B hands down. There is not one thing I do not like about that gun from straight out of the box. I am not one bit suprised why you see one of the 75 series pistols listed in so many members top picks.

#114 ·
I've shot the Glock ,Xd's in different 9mm sizes,walther PPS, and a couple 1911 9mm's just to name a few. They are all great guns in there own right and some I liked better than others, but if I had to have just one 9mm and only one that I have personally owned/ shot and not just heard talked about on the net. It would be the CZ75 B hands down. There is not one thing I do not like about that gun from straight out of the box. I am not one bit suprised why you see one of the 75 series pistols listed in so many members top picks.
I'm the same way. I've read everywhere how great the ergonomics on the PPQ is, and owning one I would have to agree that it is excellent, but my CZ 75s still feel better in my hand. The PPQ trigger is better than the CZ DA pull, but the CZ SA pull wins. Overall, I still prefer the CZ.

#115 ·
Wow, top 5? A bit difficult. I've shot a lot of guns, in many different calibers. Here goes.

1. Walther P99/PPQ/PPS. Best triggers in the business, great ergos.
2.CZ75b/P01/SP01-Outstanding accuracy, grip, though the stock sights are less than desirable.
3.H&K P7. Love the squeeze cocker, great accuracy, good trigger.
4.H&K USP--Good trigger, great accuracy, a bit overpriced though.
5. Browning Hi-Power.

Honorable Mention--Sig P226/229, Sig P250, Ruger Sr9 and LC9, Beretta PX4 Storm, 92/M9, S&W M&P, FNP/X.

You're probably wondering why there's no glock or xd mentioned. Simple. The small square trigger chafes my sausage size finger. Granted I'm 6'4" 235lbs.

#117 ·
1. Ruger SR40
2. Bersa Thunder
3. Smith and Wesson model 10
4. Desert Eagle .50
5. Any Jennings
Someone can't read or your sarcasm stinks on ice..:(
Can you say 9mm?:roll:

Of what I've owned and shot lately..

1. SA EMP
2. Dan Wesson Guardian
4. H&K P7, gets hot pretty quickly
3. Sig P228/229, I prefer the DAK trigger
5. Glock 19

Can't comment on guns I've never shot..:-|
XD/XDm stock triggers suck, and yes, I have owned those...

#119 ·
Glocks over XDs, only if thats the last gun on earth...jk...I like them both

1) Glock 17/ 19
2) Sig P226
3) Beretta 92FS
4) H&K USP
5 Springfield XD

Hat tip to Ruger, hate to leave them out. A lot of gun for the money. If you're wondering why I made the XD #5 on the list, no reason in particular. Had list them somehow. I carry the Glock 17.

#121 ·
Based on owning past and present:

1. Sig 229
2. Glock 17 Gen 4
3. Beretta 92F
4. Browning Hi-power

Hi-power felt the best but mine was a jam-o-matic. Sold it back in 1988. Only own 2 nines now, the Glock and a KelTec P11. There is no way what so ever the Keltec will belong on anyone's "Best" list. It is just a cheap pocket gun.

#123 ·
^ Madness.

Sig Sauer 226 has to be on the list due to it's method of lock. Seems the majority of new pistols introduced borrow from it.

I'd put the P-08 Luger Tied with the Walther P-38, the Luger for being first and the Walther for being a step up.

The Hi Power, hmmm....it should really be number one as it was probably the most influential semiautomatic handgun to ever be designed.

Round it out with the CZ-75 in second and the Glock 17

probably like this

1. Hi Power

2. CZ-75

3. Sig Sauer P226

4. Glock 17

5. Walther P-38/Luger P-08

#124 ·
The 5 best 9mm pistols of all time, think about it

Dylan...
Dylan...
Dylan...
Dylan and
Dylan, cuz i spit hot fire!

#126 ·
1. Browing Hi-Power, when you shoot one, you will know why.

2. Glock, they are proven and used around the world because they can take just about anything.

3. Sig 226, time tested and combat proven.

4. M-9, like the Glock, combat tested and constantly updated, easy to shoot and accurate.

5. CZ 75, Almost like a modified Hi-power, accurate, easy to handle and control.
I'll agree with this with an added honorary mention of the Pistole Parabellum 1908 Luger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.