Springfield XD Forum banner

Top 5 best 9mm pistols

495K views 139 replies 104 participants last post by  CPTKILLER 
#1 ·
In your opinion what do you think are the 5 best 9mm pistols of all time?

#78 ·
Haven't had much cause to shoot many hand gun models. Just the ones I own and have rented at the range.

So my list is pretty limited in scope.

XDm/XD's = My first and favorite 9mm
Beretta 92 = Shot it in the USMC. Hated it then, but I didn't have a frame of reference. I've since realized it was a very fine weapon, I just had a crappy beat up, abused military model. And it still fired every round I put thru it.
Glock 17/19 = I've only shot the range rentals. No idea what round count but they were inaccurate(in my hands at least) and I did not like the triggers at all.

And... That's it for 9mm's I've had a chance to shoot. I did get a chance to shoot a Beretta Cougar in .40 cal from a buddy. I was a horrible shot with it.

But I enjoy reading(and rereading every 6 months) this thread and I've put several new models on my "must try list"

Namely:

Browning Hi-Power
CZ-75B (I was actually considering getting this one before I bought into the XD's)
FNP-9
Glock 17 or 19

Thanks everyone for all the good info.

#83 ·
In no particular order...

Sig P210
HK P7
Glock 17
Lugar P08
Hi-Power

#85 ·
In my experience:

Browning Hi Power #1
SA XD 9 Service #2
Beretta 92 #3
SIG P226 #4
S&W Model 39 #5

Historically, as I see it:

Browning Hi Power #1
Glock 17 #2
Walther P38 #3
Luger P08 #4
S&W Models 39 & 59 #5

I'll note that I have a hard time not including the Beretta 92, SIG P226 & P228, and H&K USP in the historical list.

#88 ·
Btw to the guy who said the makrov, it's not a 9x19 parrabellum it's a 9x18mm which at least from what i can tell from my cz82 is outdated badly im looking at selling it. But I just don't know if you pressed the wrong key or not but wanted to get that out there.
Charles

#89 ·
Btw to the guy who said the makrov, it's not a 9x19 parrabellum it's a 9x18mm which at least from what i can tell from my cz82 is outdated badly im looking at selling it. But I just don't know if you pressed the wrong key or not but wanted to get that out there.
Charles
You can trim 9x19 down a mm and use it for 9mak if you can't find any mak brass.

#91 ·
1: HK P7 series
2: Sig P210
3: Glock series
4: Sphinx series
5: CZ series

I have shot many 9 MMs and these are my favorites. As a certified firearms instructor and a Range Master you get to fire all kinds of weapons. Isn't it great to be in a country that you can own and shoot these works of art?

#92 ·
The average person cannot afford a SIG P210.

If you ask me, part of the "best" title goes to affordability and service life. A 3 thousand dollar pistol hardly qualifies.

There is no doubt that the Sphinx and P210 are well made, but they don't have the service record of 9mms like the P226, Hi-Power or even the 92F Beretta.

A Bentley might also be a finely made car, but the ES Lexus will get you there in plenty of style, for much less money and less headaches.

- brickboy240

#93 ·
Zombie Thread!

#97 ·
Yep....the P226, 92 Beretta, Hi-Power, CZ-75 and Glock 17 get the nod for me.

Pick one of those and you really cannot go wrong. All have long track records as reliable and dependable sidearms.

- brickboy240

#101 ·
THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY INSOMNIA.
Tallied up the votes so far.
These are the most popular:
1) Sig P226-30
2) Browning Hi-Power-28
3) Berreta M9/92-27
4) Glock 17-27
5) Glock 19-24
6) XD-15
7) XD(m)-12
If you disagree with my #'s feel free to do your own count.
Didn't tally honorable mentions or violators of OP's original mission (e.g. .45's & M1 Garand).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.