Springfield XD Forum banner

Top 5 best 9mm pistols

495K views 139 replies 104 participants last post by  CPTKILLER 
#1 ·
In your opinion what do you think are the 5 best 9mm pistols of all time?

#54 ·
Of the ones I have owned in order of my rating ,
1. High power still the best
2. 1911 9mm
3. XD 9 service
4. glock 19 ( I feel they are overated and ugly but still nice if you get the 3.2(?) LB trigger that mine has)
5. ruger P90 (ugly but shot so accurately that I didn't care)
There are better ones I am sure but I have not tried them so I cannot opine on them.

#55 ·
Best = What purpose !!!

"Best" should mean several criteria...right?

I based mine on these features:

service life

ergonomics

durability

level of craftsmanship

innovation

There are other nice 9mms but using these parameters...thats how I got to my list.

- brickboy240

#56 ·
1.P08 two world wars durable and service life, craftsmanship beats what is made today in hand made excellence. defined ergonomics in pointability.
2.Browning P35(High Power) Still in use as a combat arm, self defense weapon and great ergonomics, anyone who has one is looking for another.
3.Springfield XDm ergonomics mimic the High Power and feels great in more hands than most anything on the market.
4. H&K P30 ergonomics and craftsmanship as well as innovation. It just feels good and is ambidexterous.
5. BerettaM9/92FS good grips one of the first to go behond 13 rounds good service record especially with expanding bullets

#57 ·
I think the list should probably include:
Glock 17/19
Sig 226
Browning Hi-Powers (and clones)

I'd like to add the XD, but I don't feel that it's the "best" of the top 5.

#58 ·
Top 5 9MM's in order:

1. Glock 17
2. Glock 19
3. Glock 26
4. Glock 34
5. Glock 17L
What no love for the G18?

:lol:

#60 ·
Yeah, but luckily the G17's spring set up is easily modded and replacements are everywhere. I have the Glockworx tungsten rod and Wolff spring in mine and love it.

Those that do not list the Hi-Power in your "top 5" list.....I am betting you have never shot one.

- brickboy240

#61 ·
After renting a Glock 19, i have to give a new top 5.
1. Glock 19
2. HK P30
3. Sig P226
4. XDM
5. M&P
The G19 is not quite as accurate as the P30 or Sig, but it is just so good at getting shots on target quickly and easily. And i love the simplicity and reliability it has.

#62 ·
#1 Browning High Power
#2 Glock,XD,S&W M&P. FNP9, et. al.
#3 Beretta 92 Series
#4 Walther P38
#5 Luger P08

#1- No doubt about this one in my mind. Putting anything in 9mm ahead of the BHP would be akin to putting the XD45 ahead of a 1911. It just doesn't make sense.

#2- Most all the polymer wonders at this point have proven themselves time and time again. Most everyone will have personal preferences among them, but one is hard pressed to prove one better than another.

#3- As far as modern 9mm pistols go, this one should be in the stable of every 9mm fan out there. Although not without its issues over the years, the Beretta has proved itself more than worthy of the list. By all indicators, it will have a service life extending many years from now.

#4- To me, #3 and #4 are almost interchangeable with one another with regards to a "best of" list. I would be amiss to rank the Beretta without acknowledging that without the P38, there might not have ever been a Beretta 92.

#5- Can't do a best of list without considering the one which made all others possible.

My next 5 choices would have been:
Sig P225
CZ75
Colt Commander
H&K USP
H&K P7

#63 ·
I can only reference the ones I have shot:
1) CZ75 (and CZ85)--a near perfect gun
2) EAA Witness Match--$350-450 for a great gun
3) Sig P210--too expensive to actually buy
4) P08--mine feed all the lead bullets I can give them. Sights and triggers suck.
5) Uzi SMG--again, too expensive to actually buy

6) 1911--but only because I love 1911s.

Re: Glocks--they have always felt like a 2x4 in my hands and I have had problems with them not going bang. My son can't get them to work either
Re: Sigs (other than P210)--No matter how perfect they are for every one else, I get jams and misfeeds
Re: BHP--Love the gun, except for the hammer bite and the fact that barrels I have mic'ed tend to run 0.357-0.359".

#65 ·
This is funny. Everyone so far has pretty much posted the same stuff.
I will post my 5 top 9mm pistols but I bet no one thinks the Cougar should be in there . It is a little misunderstood pistol , primarily because it seems a little thick but it is dead on accurate and relaible .
1.G-17
2.Stoeger/Beretta Cougar
3.Beretta M-9/92FS
4.CZ-75 and 75B
5. XD-9 Service/ HS 2000

None of these have failed me yet . DAMNED FINE HANDGUNS! ;-)

#66 ·
Any thoughts on a Sphinx 2000P??

I just put a deposit on my first pistol and from other reviews the Sphinx is based on the CZ 75 design, however, supposedly better.

I have heard good about them but they are supposed to be WAY high in price .

#68 ·
I wish the criteria for best was stated in the OP.
Maybe it was left out on purpose:mrgreen:

Re: Glocks--they have always felt like a 2x4 in my hands and I have had problems with them not going bang. My son can't get them to work either
:confused:
This is one of the craziest things I've ever read on xdtalk.

#69 ·
I can't believe this old thread is still going. I love reading the replies. Makes me want to go buy more guns:mrgreen:

Of all the posts so far I think Brickboy nailed it in post #11.

Belgian Hi-Power
Steel CZ
W. German 226
The original glock
Beretta 92

Bickboy, you have fine taste in weapons.

#74 ·
Still sticking to these:

FN Hi-Power

Glock 17

CZ-75 (the early all steel ones)

SIG P226 (the W.German made guns)

Beretta 92FS

Other variants of these have merit (like the SIG P228 or Glock 19) but these originals are still the best of their breed.

- brickboy240

#76 ·
Browning High Power, XDM, 226, G17, M9

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.