Springfield XD Forum banner

Top 5 best 9mm pistols

495K views 139 replies 104 participants last post by  CPTKILLER 
#1 ·
In your opinion what do you think are the 5 best 9mm pistols of all time?

#28 ·
Browning Hi power
CZ75
HK P7
Beretta 92fs M9
Glock 19/17

#32 ·
"Best" should mean several criteria...right?

I based mine on these features:

service life

ergonomics

durability

level of craftsmanship

innovation

There are other nice 9mms but using these parameters...thats how I got to my list.

- brickboy240

#34 ·
For me it will be:
1)EMP just becs i love 1911's
2)CZ 75B SA it points naturally..
3)S&W MP9 pro series very nice trigger for a polymer gun.
4)XDm any size becs very reliable and accurate
5)springfield fully loaded 1911 in 9mm very nice for your everyday range use..

#35 ·
#36 ·
#37 ·
The article is a little dated, and alot of those guns cost more now...... what is interesting enough to me, the FN9 is the 2nd on the list... it is the most "undiscovered" 9mm on the market............ they just do do alot of advertising, along with HK who doesn't either... both make superb weapons.

#38 ·
My top five for:

Duty:
1. Glock 17/19/34
2. H&K USP Combat Competition
3. CZ 75
4. S&W M&P
5. Sig X-Five Tactical

Honorable mentions: XD, Hi-Power, Beretta M9/92, Walther/S&W SW99, HK P30.

Combo of looks and function:
1. Browning Hi-Power Heirloom Precision Signature Grade
2. Sig X-Five
3. Wilson Combat CQB 1911
4. STI Apeiro
5. CZ-75 Tactical Sports

#39 ·
I can only go on the basis of the guns I've shot or owned.
Not guns I've heard or read about.
So here goes...

1. Sig P226 Navy..
Owned it, sold it, bought the Kimber..

2. P229 SAS...
Own it..

3. HK USPc with LEM trigger..
Own it..

4. Kimber CDP II Ultra..
Own it..

5. Sig P239 SAS w/DAK trigger...
Own it..

I've owned 3 9mm XD pistols, but they can't compare to the ones above.
I've also owned a Beretta 92 Stainless and Glock 26.
I still have most of the above but have since sold all the XDs, the Glock, and the Beretta pistols..:???::roll::mrgreen:

#40 ·
Any list like this that does not have the Hi Power at the top is just wrong. If you do not own a Hi Power you are missing out on a true classic. Its the grand-daddy of all 9mm pistols, and still the best handling/ergonomic handgun made.

#41 ·
Guns I respect and have read about:

1. Browning Hi-Power
2. Glock 17/19/26
3. Beretta M9
4. CZ 75 series
5. SIG 226

Gee what a surprise, just like everyone else's lists! The ones in italics I have not shot. I choose these based on design innovation and what they changed in the world of firearms, more so than anything else.

Favorite 9mms I have shot, based on what I'm able to do with them:

1. CZ 75 series (I own a P-01, but have shot 75 Bs as well... love em all)
2. XDm 9 (after trigger job, very accurate with this guy)
3. Kimber Ultra 9mm (don't remember exact model, was a rental)
4. HK P7M13 (unique design and a very nice, consistent trigger)
5. SIG P229 (heavy for its size but accurate and the Short Reset Trigger version is niiiice)

#42 ·
If you shot my Hi-Power....I doubt you'd walk away and say you did not like it. I have not had anybody that has borrowed the Belgian Beauty say they did not like it and many asked if I would sell it to them.

If I was told that I HAD to get rid of every 9mm I have and only keep one....the Hi-Power is staying.

The Hi-Power is the most 1911-ish hi-cap 9mm out there. If you shoot a 1911, chances are you will like the Hi-Power because they are very similar.

- brickboy240

#44 ·
h&k
sig
browning hi-power
xd-9
m9 &m9a1 steyr

#45 ·
In no particular order:

Sig P226 - I love these, but I'll never own one.
XD-9 - Had a good time shooting a friends XD-9. Felt real natural and it worked out well for me.
FNP-9 - A 9mm that is a "sleeper" it seems, but one well worth taking a close look at. I love mine!
CZ-75B - Never tried one, but I have heard nothing but praise for it.
HK USP-9 - Had a great time shooting a friends USP-9. One of my favorites.

#49 ·
1 Hi-Point C9
2 Jennings 9
3 Cobra...

Oh wait, BEST 9mms... lol

Of the ones I've shot, here's my list.
1. Beretta 92FS
2. Springfield XD9
3. High Power

That's all the 9mm handguns that weren't piles of garbage that I've tried. I've fired a few Hi-Points and other Saturday Night Special type piles of crap...

#51 ·
I got into hang guns literally 3 months ago. I started with a SW99 .45 and since then found the beauty of the 9. Since then i have shot 8000+ rounds through 14 different 9mm's, cut my hand and finger tips on slides(multiple times on the XD!), and permanently stained my fingertips with brass.

1: CZ75b makes my #1. As a beginner shooter, this was was the most accurate for me. The weight made it easy to hold sight on target and the ability to maintain and high grip was awesome. Within the 3rd day at the range, i was shotting a group of 1.5 inches at 15 yards.

2: XD9. Was my first hand gun purchase. love the accessories it comes with. As a first timer holding it, it felt odd being so top heavy but soon enough realized that it was for a good reason. Shoots great, i put 2500 rounds alone through this in 3 range sessions and performed flawlessly. I did have an issue with one of the mags not locking back a few times when empty. Weight makes it great to hold on target, but i just need more practice with the lighter guns.

3: M&P. Shot the one from Firing Lines rental with 300 rounds through it. Grip ero is AMAZING. probably the best feeling in my hands. Gun feels very centered in weight.

4: EAA witness. Same as the CZ75b almost. Great gun, i feel very under rated for what it is.

5: g17. I just need more practice shooting a lighter gun. I do admit i bought into the hype and bought this one for that reason. I shoot the worst with this gun, though i also have the least amount of range time/rounds through it. Grip is great with a hogue, and feels great when holding, though its harder to keep site steady on target. Magazines with my California 10 round is tough to get them all in.

Bottom line, again as a newbie, i feel its based on what u want the 9mm for. Competition? Every day carry? Reliability? My recommendation, unlike me who wasted so much money with PPT's selling guns i didnt like, go shoot them all and see what fits u.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.