Springfield XD Forum banner

Top 5 best 9mm pistols

495K views 139 replies 104 participants last post by  CPTKILLER 
#1 ·
In your opinion what do you think are the 5 best 9mm pistols of all time?

#2 ·
Well I havent had to much time with a lot of 9mm pistols, but I will list the ones "I feel" are relevant...

1. Beretta 92fs: I shoot hundreds of rounds though it every summer I go down to my uncle's (He owns it), and we've never ran into any problems that were gun related.

2. Sig P226: Again in the same boat as the 92fs. We did have a mag issue one time though.

3. Glock series of 9mm's: LoL i know this is a Xd forum, but I have shot a few glocks. Even though I dont prefer them I have seen how reliable they are. I would also put the Xd 9mm's in this place to, but I much prefer xd's over glocks.

4. HK USP 9mm: I have only shot this pistol once, putting only about 40rnds threw it. I loved it. From what I've seen the mags are hard to find in stores locally and are usually pricey.

5. CZ 75 SP-01: I have recently shot this pistol and I loved it. The pointability is dead on par with my 1911 and ergonomics are superb.

#3 ·
1. Browing Hi-Power, when you shoot one, you will know why.

2. Glock, they are proven and used around the world because they can take just about anything.

3. Sig 226, time tested and combat proven.

4. M-9, like the Glock, combat tested and constantly updated, easy to shoot and accurate.

5. CZ 75, Almost like a modified Hi-power, accurate, easy to handle and control.

#5 ·
1. HK P30: I think this will always be my favorite pistol. The most accurate combat 9mm ive ever fired,very low recoil,completely reliable,lightwieght and the best grip ergo's ever.
2. Sig 226: Was my favorite 9mm until the P30 came out. Very accurate,reliable,points great and awesome trigger.
3. XDM 3.8: Just got this one. Accurate, reliable so far,great grips ergo's,points great, simplicity of platform.
4. Glock 17/19: Not the gun for me for various reasons, but i have to give Glock props for revolutionizing the industry and just for being a very solid, well performing pistol.
5. CZ: Never shot one, but the grip ergo's did feel great when i handled one. On my to do list. Ive read nothing but positives about CZ's.

#9 ·
1) H&K P7 series; (Surpirse!:lol:) Accurate, innovative, and about as safe of a mechanical action as you can get.
2) Glock 17/19; they pretty much set the bar for a modern 9mm pistol.
3) HP-35--the first double-stack 9mm; the shape of things to come, back in the 30's.
4) SIG 226--the best DA/SA 9mm out there.
5) S&W M59--brought the double-stack, high-cap, DA/SA 9mm to the attention of US shooters.

Honorable mentions: Sig P210, CZ75, HK VP70, Walther P38, Makarov (though not 9x19 is still technically a 9mm...;)), P08 Luger.

#10 ·
1) H&K P7 series; (Surpirse!:lol:) Accurate, innovative, and about as safe of a mechanical action as you can get.
2) Glock 17/19; they pretty much set the bar for a modern 9mm pistol.
3) HP-35--the first double-stack 9mm; the shape of things to come, back in the 30's.
4) SIG 226--the best DA/SA 9mm out there.
5) S&W M59--brought the double-stack, high-cap, DA/SA 9mm to the attention of US shooters.

Honorable mentions: Sig P210, CZ75, HK VP70, Walther P38, Makarov (though not 9x19 is still technically a 9mm...;)), P08 Luger.
I'm surprised you were the first to mention the P38 and the Luger. I think I would have them a little higher on the list, at least the P38. Aren't many modern pistols modeled after the P38? I seem to remember reading of it's significance somewhere but can't remember exactly what it said.

Also surprised the Hi-Power isn't on everyone's list.

#11 ·
Easy...

(in no particular order)

FN Hi-Power

CZ-75 (fullsize 9mm all steel...none of the variants)

SIG P226 (older Made in W. Germany non-rail versions in 9mm)

Glock 17

Beretta 92

For many reasons...these are the best of the breed.

- brickboy240

#14 ·
1) Glock 17/19/26/34
2) Sig P226
3) Beretta 92FS
4) Browning Hi-Power
5) Springfield XD

No specific order

#17 ·
The top five 9mms... that's really a tough choice. So many have had such an impact on firearms.

5. Sig P250 - This is a newer design, but I believe this is the future of polymer firearm development. Though it has not been time-tested yet, as the others on my list, it's just a matter of time. The ability to have one firing mechanism, with a unique serial number, for multiple frames and calibers makes this an amazing leap forward. I plan to buy one in time.

4. Glock 17 - I know I may get a lot of jeers for this, but we have to consider what the Glock has given us, as gun owners. No, it was not the first polymer pistol, but it is the first one to become so famous. It is the modern-day comparison for almost any pistol when it comes to reliability. In addition to that, the endless supply of accessories combined with the ease of doing work on it (including detail stripping), it makes this a wonderful combat firearm.

3. 3-way TIE: Smith & Wesson M&P9, Springfield Armory XDm, HK P2000 - All three of these polymer firearms are always compared against the Glock 17, however there is a reason it's higher on my list. These have reliability that can stand up there with the Glock 17, as well as magazine capacities (with the exception of the P2000, but it is a compact). The real reason I'd rank them higher is the fact that they actually give the user options concerning interchangeable back straps. This allows the user to choose the best fit for their hand. They are also left-handed friendly. These guns have proven that you don't have to settle on a Glock if it doesn't fit your hands. However, there is nothing wrong with the Glock if it does.

2. Sig P226 - This is a time-tested firearm. It is the perfect package if you're looking for a DA/SA firearm. It's accurate, reliable, and ergonomic. But the best part is the DA trigger; it may be long and heavy, but it's as smooth as butter. I have no problem at all keeping the gun on target, even at longer distances, firing in the double-action mode.

1. CZ-75 - The CZ-75 platform is in use all over the world, and for a good reason. It is a perfect cross between the ergonomics of the 1911 with the functioning of the Browning Hi-Power. It has amazing accuracy, reliability, and controllability. A lot of people like to refer to it as the "poor man's Sig", but because of the amazing accuracy and performance, I like to think of the Sig as the "rich man's CZ". Like a total fool, I sold mine, but I wish I still had it. I had fired over 12k rounds without a single malfunction. That said, being that I have small hands, it just doesn't fit my hands as the guns listed in #3, all which I have invested in.

#20 ·
The "best" 9mm list:

#1. The one that works for YOU.

#2 - #4. The other ones that work for YOU.

#5. The one that works for the wife(hey, don't be greedy, buy her one too!)

Read any more into it, and you're sucking yourself into hype and marketing. And unless you're looking to crank more than 25,000 rounds through your 9mm, I wouldn't hang your hat too heavily on "hell and back" reliability either. 99% of firearms, when properly maintained, will work when you want or need them to for a lifetime of ownership.

#22 ·
Sig P226
Glock 19
Sig P239
XD9
SA EMP

Granted, I havent shot the High Power or the CZ 75 that everyone hails as the perfect wondernines. My duty pistol experience has been with the garbage M9, so when I get to shoot a DA/SA pistol that works well, it makes me very happy. Thats why im a Sig fan.

#23 ·
Sig P226
Glock 19
Sig P239
XD9
SA EMP

Granted, I havent shot the High Power or the CZ 75 that everyone hails as the perfect wondernines. My duty pistol experience has been with the garbage M9, so when I get to shoot a DA/SA pistol that works well, it makes me very happy. Thats why im a Sig fan.
Get out and shoot the CZ, Its a great pistol! I personally love the ergos and for me it shoots great.
Funny you should mention the M9 as garbage, I've heard this from several guys in the armed services.
...And yeah Sigs are damn fine pistols!

#25 ·
Get out and shoot the CZ, Its a great pistol! I personally love the ergos and for me it shoots great.
Funny you should mention the M9 as garbage, I've heard this from several guys in the armed services.
...And yeah Sigs are damn fine pistols!
When I was younger I was a "US Pistols only!" kinda guy, so when I had a chance to snag a CZ I didnt take it. Now I own German, Russian, Yugo, Czech, and Austrian guns, so a CZ is in my sights.

The M9 is a fine pistol for some. Its far too large for my hands, has a poorly placed mag release, has a safety that rubs you raw after constant use, and is a pistol that feels unbalanced. Plus, as it is with most military weapons, the M9 is not yours and has been used by plenty of guys before you, so the pistol reflects that use well.

#26 ·
  1. Browning Hi Power - just got mine before Xmas, wanted one mostly for nostalgia but also for great function- last time I carried a Browning was when served with Canadian Air Force. Pleased to see so many voters above placing the Hi Power high on their lists - the more I shoot mine, the more I enjoy it, and it has overtaken my recent appreciation for the XD
  2. XD - I compared to Glock before buying, and I preferred the XD for a more comfortable grip and the grip safety
  3. Glock - as others have said, great reliability - the gun that introduced us to polymers has got to be on a top list
  4. Sig - felt I got more value with XD - I thought Sigs were better but not worth the extra $$
  5. dunno, all others that I've handled are a wash for me, none really left a lasting memory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.