To Laser or Not To Laser

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by CRob, Dec 27, 2012.

1. CRob

CRob XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now that Crimson Trace and others have lasers available what are folks' opinions on having a laser on a daily concealed carry piece?

My primary carry is my XDS in a Crossbreed mini-tuck.

I sometimes pocket carry a Kahr PM9 with a Crimson Tracer Laser Guard
    (holstered of course).

2. TangoChuck

TangoChuck XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just ordered an LG-469 today. Can't imagine a laser that integrates into the frame of the XDs as well as this one. I have friends who think very highly of their products. The only question for me was...should I wait for the Green laser that surely must be coming. However, in the long run...considering my carry/home defense situation, decided I could live with red. If that doesn't pan out, I'll go Green when available.

3. Rbloodhound

Rbloodhound XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm about to order the laser guard for my xds. My wife wants to carry it so ill install the laser for her.

4. severx

severx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really want the laser guard. But do NOT train only on the laser, I would say do it 3/4 iron sights 1/4 laser. Always be prepared for the laser to not be working and don't get stuck not knowing how to aim! Just a friendly tip before the laser haters get here ;p

5. slambert088

slambert088 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am new to owning a handgun so I am not too familiar with many of the laser manufacturers. I have heard good things about Crimson Trace, but I have a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster on the way and did not order it to fit a rail-mounted laser. This leaves me with the option of the Crimson Trace Lasergrip or the Lasermax LMS-XDMS Guide Rod Laser. I am leaning toward the Lasermax because I feel like it would be more accurate more often given that it is always alligned to the barrel no matter what distance you are shooting.

6. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 4
    ^..This.

I'm not big on laser sights.
    I've tried them on a Sig P239 and S&W 642 and ended up selling them.

I do have one on my LCP, but the LCP is a short range point and shoot pistol.
    It also has non-existent sights on the slide.
    For one thing, it is nice to know where my muzzle is pointed, even from the hip pulling it out of a pocket.
    And another thing, my 2 carry holsters were made for the CTC so I have no choice but to have it mounted.

I would do more research before ordering that lasermax..
    From my research they can be more of a PITA than they are worth.

Nothing substitutes training with a stock iron or night sight on a self defense pistol.
    Never rely on a battery operated laser when your life is on the line.

7. jhc37013

jhc37013 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use to have a set on a Glock 26 and thought the world of them, great for a carry gun but don't completely rely on them.

I'd love to have one for my XDs but I carry OWB and because it's new the holster selection for that combo is lacking to say the least, and I prefer leather so that cuts my selection even further. I will wait and if my XDs continues to run good I will certainly put the CT on it if the holsters are their.

8. mirage2521

mirage2521 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    There is no place for a laser on a self defense handgun. It is nothing more than a targeting device for the bad guy, a useless crutch for a weak shooter and a distraction for good shooter. Don't waste you money on a laser instead invest that money in some ammo and some training with an instructor who teaches threat focused, quick kill or sightless shooting. With minimal training you will be faster and more accurate without the laser daylight or dark. Lasers are borderline useless wastes of money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

9. Johnnu

Johnnu XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Considering that you will only use your CCW gun in a close encounter, there is no need for lasers beyond the TV/movies and some good comic books. And when I say 'close encounter' the best way to define that is: how would the jury react if you told them you shot someone who was more than 10-15 feet away? At night in the dark in your home....(?) you certainly don't want to telegraph you exact location.... besides, you should be using a shotgun (anything in front of it dies). IMHO... J;)

10. severx

severx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I tend to lean towards the above two responses. Depending on the situation. You CAN train to be specifically good at your laser sight but it will take time, firing from the hip so to speak, I do it alot but mostly with ARs.

Heres a fix that will make the above happy. Just buy an infrared laser sight and keep a pair of NVGs net to your bed. Problem solved!

11. Ridge

Ridge XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 1
    Agreed... I'm really conflicted when it comes to lasers. At times, they are nice but can not be relied on. When you least expect it, it may "blink out" on you. I removed mine from my LCP but I don;t think I'll get rid of it... incase I ever change my mind ;-)

12. DJM_22

DJM_22 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lasers are OK for a training aid. Not for self defense. IMO

13. MarkB

MarkB XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've seen pics of the laser guard and it appears that the laser guard will reduce amount of grip space by 1/4" or so. The grip is short enough without making it shorter. I second the idea of using the regular sights most of the time. Shoot right and hit right.

14. TangoChuck

TangoChuck XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The feedback from the folks who say..."no to lasers" is interesting, well intended and somewhat shortsighted. In my case I have vision focus issues caused by torn and detached retina, as well as having had lasik to correct distant vision issues...which cost me my close up vision. So, with iron sights I am able to wear corrective lenses to see them close up, but then wearing them my distance vision is shot. Bifocals are not an option for targeting. But if I don't wear lenses I can not see the gun sights. My distance vision is somewhat impaired by a astigmatism and while I can distinguish objects at a distance clearly enough to target, I can not focus with the iron sights. Hence, the laser gives me the capability to target and aim at a distance.

I can't take for granted that I won't need to fire at other than close range and COM targeting. I need to be able to target and engage at more than close in, as we all need to be able to do.

Not the best situation for any and all engagement situation, but it's all I have to work with.

15. CarlXds

CarlXds XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always thought lasers were a gimmick, but I bought one to see first hand. The experience didn't change my mind. They aren't for me.