To Glock or not to Glock...

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by jliew08, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jliew08

jliew08 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys,

Currently in the market for a 9mm. Been doing a lot of research on the Glock 19 Gen4. I'd like to hear the likes and dislikes of the gun. I know some threads on here have compared it to the PPQ and from what I've seen most like the PPQ over the 19. However, I've handled both and the Glock just feels better in my hand. Not a Glock fanboy, never owned one, but interested. I currently have a 3.8 XDm .40 and a XDs, so I kind of wanted to expand out of the SA brand. Don't get me wrong, I love these guns, just interested in other things out there. Let me know what you think!

2. mrs.goff

mrs.goff XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just... just say no to Glock.

3. Christian

Christian XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where does this anti-Glock bias come from?

The Glock 19 is a great pistol.

4. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Get a G19. You'll love it. If you don't, you won't have spent a lot of money finding out that you didn't like it. I install aftermarket trigger connectors in all my Glocks. Try changing the trigger pull of any other brand with a $10 part that you can install with no "expert" assistance!!

5. stvan1

stvan1 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nothing wrong with a glock 19. There are a million in use. But if you are looking to get something a little more different than another everyday gun everybody else owns look to a Sig P226 or a HK.

6. droopy

droopy XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Turn from the dark side!

7. YoopermikeXDM

YoopermikeXDM XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    Stay in the light! Dont stray! Dont go to the dark side!

8. M1A4ME

M1A4ME XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My first plastic pistol was a Glock M31. I bought it because I tried another one that shot pretty decent groups. So far my M31 doesn't live up to the one I tried but its okay. It has a better trigger (stock trigger) than either of my XDMs. It doesn't shoot quite as good a group as my XDMs do.

My second plastic pistol was a Springfield XDM 5.25". I hoped it would be much better than the Glock. It's about the same, accuracy wise. In fact, my third plastic pistol was another XDM, a 3.8" model. It shoots just as good a group as the 5.25" XDM.

I'll tell you why I prefer (right now) the XDMs to the Glock. First because of the grip safety and second because it carries 19 rounds in that 9mm magazine.

9. slowgoat

slowgoat XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really like my gen4 G19; got it the same time as my 3.8 subcompact .40 XDm. I like the XDm a smidge better; and oddly, the recoil is identical. I have tighter groups with the XDm, the grip angle is better for me, and without the snap that usually accompanies the .40, I feel like that .40 XDm is my absolute favorite weapon I own! On the other hand, the G19 is an excellent weapon. I also have had absolutely no problems with FTF or FTE, and I have a very early serial number (and definitely had the first spring). You won't go wrong with the G19.

10. slowgoat

slowgoat XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really like my gen4 G19; got it the same time as my 3.8 subcompact .40 XDm. I like the XDm a smidge better; and oddly, the recoil is identical. I have tighter groups with the XDm, the grip angle is better for me, and without the snap that usually accompanies the .40, I feel like that .40 XDm is my absolute favorite weapon I own! On the other hand, the G19 is an excellent weapon. I also have had absolutely no problems with FTF or FTE, and I have a very early serial number (and definitely had the first spring). You won't go wrong with the G19.

11. mrs.goff

mrs.goff XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personally, the glock is like Apple products... everybody has them. And they look yucky. Just mho.

12. OKcherokee

OKcherokee XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Do it.

13. Whitebrad25

Whitebrad25 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glocks are great. To quote a recent poster (in another thread): "Everybody should own a Glock" (paraphrasing).

14. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    The G19 is a great pistol, and I do prefer the Gen4 issue. The back strap change to smallest, or no added back strap will make the grip 3mm smaller in your hands. It made a big difference to my wife's grip.

A G19 is on my short list, but am currently packing the G26 for CC, but carry a spare G19 mag with the x-grip spacer, that instantly expands my capacity from 11 to 16.

If the Glock fits you, by all means make the move. "Your physiological and technological likeness will be added unto ours. Resistance is futile!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Molon Labe!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  15. CraigJS

CraigJS XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a G19 gen 3 and an XD9sc. The Glocks "ok", but watch the grip fit in your hand. Hate the little bumps, they don't line up with my fingers for a good SOLID grip. Thank god my daughter likes it. (I wanted a G17) Shoot my XD9sc MUCH better. (it has mag grip extension on it and CT grips) Just my .02 cents.