Tikka T3 vs. Weatherby Sub-MOA?

Discussion in 'Bolt Guns/Precision Rifles' started by JoeOU1, Dec 11, 2011.

1. JoeOU1

JoeOU1 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Leaning towards a Tikka T3.

2. Fixxer

Fixxer XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I have a 30.06 Tikka and I love it.

3. Spartan299

Spartan299 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Both are great rifles, but I went with the Tikka Lite in .308 and dropped a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 scope on it.
    Love it!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  4. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tikka makes a sweet rifle. It's on my to get list!

5. JaydenH

JaydenH XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sub-moa is very possible in almost any decent rifle. Cant go wrong with either brand.

6. Northernforest

Northernforest XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let me tell you a story. I was interested in buying a Sauer 200 lux from my Uncle who was a gun collector. I was going to get that rifle or a Weatherby and I asked him about the a Weatherby. He said that he did not like them and said he would never touch one. He did not go to far into explaining why. I decided to buy the Sauer. I liked the gun but thinking bigger is better I sold the Sauer in .308 to buy the Weatherby Mark Deluxe V in 7mm Weatherby mag. It is a nice rifle to look at but not a pleasure to shoot. The recoil on the thing is way more than any other 7mm mag I have shot. The bolt is not very smooth and can be hard to close. The bolt has a very long travel. It is so pretty I just about cried when I scratched the barrel bluing. For what you get they are not worth the money. I understand what my Uncle was talking about now. I wish I would have kept the Sauer. I made a major mistake and I will never be able to get that model gun back in a like new condition. Although I don't own one and have never shot one I have many friends who are Tikka lovers. I have never herd anything bad about a Tikka. Go with the Tikka you will be much happier and will have more money in your pocket when you are done. If you decide against the Tikka and want a Weatherby I have one I will sell you cheap.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  7. baldp8

baldp8 XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Another Tikka fan here. I got the Tikka T3 Lite in 308 last year for Christmas. It is an excellent rifle. You will not be disappointed.

8. acliqueof1

acliqueof1 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a Stainless Tikka t3 lite in 30-06. My best reloads puts a hornady 168 gr bthp moly into .4 inches center to center at 100 yds. I had a weatherby sub moa in 223 used for coyotes and fun shooting. My best reloads put a 52 gr hornady bthp match at .7 inches center to center. Both were multiple three shot groups. When things got bad economically for me, I sold the weatherby. The Tikka is my deer and everything rifle and the weatherby was my coyote and fun shooter. I wish I still had it. I love my Tikka though. It has 4 doe and 2 bucks under it's belt. I had this rifle for 5 years and if I had to go through more rough times, I will sell my other guns before this goes.

9. Charles B

Charles B XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In the standard calibers you will find either rifle will serve you well. What calibers, features, and models are you looking for? The Tikkas and WB Vanguards offer good shooters.

10. apexhunter

apexhunter XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The problem with most Weatherby rifles is the shape of the stock...there's too much drop. while this is good for a shotgun or lower power rifle when you get into something that has a decent amount of recoil you typically want as straight of a stock as you can find.

Weatherby makes make up for this drop with a higher comb. Since your shoulder is what absorbs the recoil the straighter stock of something like the Tikka helps to reduce the felt recoil by creating a straight shove versus a back & down shove.

And, like JaydenH mentioned, most factory rifles of decent manufacture are well capable of sub MOA accuracy.

11. Charles B

Charles B XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have not found the Weatherby stock configuration to be a problem. Actually it takes some of the bite off the cheek bone as the recoil shifts the stock rearward the comb slides down the cheek.

Yes, most modern rifles will shoot an moa and a few will shoot a solid sub moa. It is a buyers' market for firearms if a person choses carefully.