Tight mag on XDM45c UPDATE

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by XD-Generate, Jan 31, 2012.

1. XD-Generate

XD-Generate XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    If you missed the initial impressions and my issue read this:
    http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/193514-picked-up-45c.html

UPDATE:

I have been leaving the flush mag topped off since I got the pistol Saturday. The spring is already much better than it was out of the box. I only need to apply a small stiff palm strike to seat the flush mag (topped off) into the XDM. The 1st round racks in without issue now too. The same stiff pressure is needed to release the mag also. I am sure after another few hundred rounds everything will be smooth as silk.

2. XD-Generate

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I emailed Springfield about the tight mag and this is what I get back:

Good afternoon

In high capacity mags such as the XD(M)’s, where the ammunition limit has been pushed to the max, excessive tension can be a symptom of a full magazine. This can happen on the short mags, and sometimes on the long mags. Basically what is happening is that all of the room inside the magazine is being used up, and the spring is pushing the top round really hard against the bottom of the slide. If you would like, we could try swapping out your magazine, but at the same time it is very possible that the replacement magazine would do the same thing. If you would like to swap out your mag, please give us a call in customer service at 800-680-6866.

Thank you for choosing the First Name in American Firearms!
    Have an outstanding day!

I think I'm going to send the mag in and see if the new one helps out.

3. jreXD9

jreXD9 XDTalk 100 Member

P'tree City....but Pine Mtn will always be home.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same experience here. I added the Pearce extension and could barely get round #9 in there. I let it sit for a couple days and it's already loosened up. I shot it today loaded with 9+1 and had no issues. The mag release also seems to have lightened up.

4. Rangel

Rangel XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll be picking mine up in a couple weeks, I'll report back if I have any problems

Sent from my iPhone 4S

5. 4fifth

4fifth XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    mine is finally filling a little better now that I hit 400 rounds threw it,still not easy as i like to rack the slid but i am getting there

6. XD-Generate

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    After a little phone tag and some email I talked with another SA rep today and they are sending me out a free 9 round mag to compare with the super tight one I currently have.

WAT TO GO SPRINGFIELD! I had a nice chat with Penne and she took excellent care of me.

Can't wait to get the new flush mag and see if that was the problem or not. It will also be SICK to have 2 9 round mags as you can't find the 45c 9 rounders anywhere.

7. 4fifth

4fifth XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lucky! What did u tell them? I think ima have to do the same

8. Rangel

Rangel XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mine was tight as well took two fingers to drop a loaded mag. It lossened up after about 100 rds

9. 4fifth

4fifth XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wish mine loosened up I have abt 500rnds threw it an barley any better then when I first got it

10. XD-Generate

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I just told them what was up. I said it was really hard to seat the mag without a good whack. I told her I was at 170 rounds and that I had planned on waiting until 500 to send it in. She told me at first the mags were highest of capacity and the springs would be tight. I told her that I had an XD9 and XD9sc that had almost a one finger feather weight engagement and that this was nowhere near that easy. She asked some other simple questions about the pistol. Did it function, were there any other issues? She was super nice and after a short convo she told me she was sending the new one out under the warranty.

11. CavScout 00

CavScout 00 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a XDSC40, XDM9mm, and just bought the XDM45 compact. The 45 compact is stiffer than all the other models I have purchased, but I experience the same difficulties with all of them. Full mag is tough to insert and racking a round in the chamber is tough at first.

The more you shoot the easier it gets, then it will be nice and worn in and you will forget all about it. These firearms are meant to last, its probably why they are so stiff when you first get them. I've fired thousands of rounds through my XDSC40 and it still runs like champ.

Took about 500+ to get the XDSC40 and XDM9 it worn in good, but my buddy keeps telling me I'm due for a jam every time we goto the range, and hes still waiting to see one.

12. XD-Generate

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Brother-man, this is my 3rd XD. I know this too. It's not like the break in on the others SAs I have/had. We aren't talking about a stiff spring you need to add a bit more force behind. I literally have to palm strike the F@#$ out of the base plate to get it seated. The full sized mag does not do this at all. It inserts the same as the other XDs I've owned.

PS: your buddy is going t have to wait a long time to see a jam.

13. CavScout 00

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah my XDm 45 compact requires a nice stern palm strike to get it seated. My XDm 9 was the same at first, but I don't think it was as tight. It's been raining here, hopefully I'll get to finally goto the range tommorow and sling a few hundred rounds through it to see if its just the usual SA stiffness or if I should start looking at getting a different mag spring.

14. XD-Generate

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I want to get over to the range tomorrow and shoot too. I probably won't get to with all the weekend running around. Hope some of that running around ends me up at Wal Mart. I need to stock up on some supplies.

15. CavScout 00

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let me know how it turns out. I'll post my results after I'm finished. It will be good to hear from another long term and multiple XD/XDm owner. It looks like rain might hold off and I can finally go shoot.

I added the peirce grip extension today. I'm able to seat the magazine without a palm strike from leaving and keeping a fully loaded 9 round inside of it for less than 12 hours. Mag release is stiff, but after tommrow it should be all good. XDSC40 and XDM9 have been the same way.

So far seems like the usual SA stiffness, just a little tighter. Experienced the same thing with my XDm 9 4.5.

This is my third XD/XDm and from my experience, the only time you can fully evaluate any problems with your piece is after you've put at least 300 hundred rounds through it.