thumb safety

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by tombstone01, Mar 20, 2011.

1. tombstone01

tombstone01 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New member, please go easy.

I realize the answer I will probably get will be to use the search function, but in hopes os saving some sanity, Maybe someone will forego that answer and give me something useful.

I already have an xd40 with laser grips and I sold my SA 1911 with laser grips and ordered a new xd45. I was not told it had the thumb safety and when I got it I was not real happy, but said, "Oh well use it if I want to carry in condition one or don't use it if I want to carry like my other XD. Got my new laser grips grips in and naturally they will not fit it because of the safety. Dremel tools and new guns and grips are really not something I would like to do. Can I have a qualified gunsmith remove the thumb safety and have a safely functioning gun like my xd40? Right now I am wishing I would have just kept the dang 1911. Can I send the frame back to SA to have it removed?? Any suggestions would be helpful to make this work.

36 rounds through it and a set of new grips that won't work leave me a little irritated with myself.

2. doppelganger

doppelganger XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With the other safeties in place, is carrying condition zero an option? (noting that conditions are technically a 1911 thing, right?)

3. tombstone01

tombstone01 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes, condition one is generally a 1911 term. I guess I should have just said with the thumb safety engaged. Irregardless, the grips won't fit at all with the safety.
    I hated to not accept the gun after he ordered it, but it did not specify the thumb saftey in the ad.

4. kdbrainard86

kdbrainard86 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i dont know how much truth there is to this: but i have heard that you can order the .45 models with or withOUT the thumb safety. my service model xd45 has the safety and i really like it but i've seen other ones without. i just dont know if they were older/newer models etc. i would call the springfield customer service and just ask them what your options are-i've heard their really good to talk to

5. Steve9mmInMO

Steve9mmInMO XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just bought a new .45 tactical (5" barrel) today and it has no thumb safety. The manual states that it can be gotten either way.

6. Y2bad4u

Y2bad4u XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    trade someone that wants a safety.

7. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    If the ad had not specified the thumb safety or it was not identified by model number (SA has the models listed on their site) I would not have accepted the pistol. The safety model is not generally popular and usually has to be ordered special. If dealer mis-ordered, it should be on him to correct the problem.
    Alternately, if the laser grip covers the safety area, the external lever and associated internal parts should be removable without effecting other functions. Contact SA about if/how before deciding on keep, sell or return.
    There is a market of buyers that do desire the thumb safety, so it would sell - especially as you (or the dealer) has it on-hand and there would not be a long wait for their special order.

8. uponthestair

uponthestair XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I agree with the trade idea if your dealer doesn't have a return policy. You can probably trade even up but you'll get a slightly used gun for your new one. No problem there as a slightly used XD45 is as good (or better) than a new one.

In the future make sure you do your homework and know what you are buying before you buy. That goes for guns, cars, homes, everything. With a gun you have a minor disappointment. With a car or home you could have a disaster.

9. JPR1959

JPR1959 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My 45 also has the thumb safety. Your story sounds very similar to mine, but I did not purchase a Crimson Trace. I did that research after I acquired my pistol. I really wanted a tactical and I'm still debating trading it more than a year later. My 45 has a great trigger and if I go with a laser, it will either have to be something other than a Crimson Trace. I don't see why it couldn't be removed, but I'm not too worried about it.

10. little jack

little jack XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You should contact JesterMasque and see if he wants to trade.

11. tweek

tweek XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i was just thinking the same thing but couldn't remember the members name

12. Ezra Smack

Ezra Smack XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I chose the thumb safety after reading some statistics about the number of police who were shot with a snatched service weapon.

13. Jonie45

Jonie45 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ezra, that's the very same reason why other LE agencies have opted to put manual safety kits on the glocks of their members.

Here is a link to the "Camilloni MSK" for glocks, even the G36. It allows you to have it in "condition 1" whenever you want.
    Cominolli Custom

At the end is a very individual decision wether people want a manual safety in your XD's or glock's pieces. One question, are there any XDM pistol with manual safety out there???

14. Ezra Smack

Ezra Smack XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have handed my locked and cocked 1911 to enough Glock shooters who had to be shown how to take the safety off that I am convinced that the typical criminal would never figure it out before I punched his lights out. Conversly, if you hand a Glock to a monkey he will probably shoot it because it is shaped to fit the hand.

15. shootluke

shootluke XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    call the factory, did you know of the option to buy new w/o safety (thumb) maybe you can do a trade? maybe try Springer Precision, Scotts great!