Thoughts on the Taurus 709 Slim

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by 9 iron, Jan 11, 2010.

1. 9 iron

9 iron XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did a serch for this topic, and did not find any results. I am curious if anyone on here has any experiance with this gun. I was originaly thinking of getting a Ruger LCP to go with my XD9. However, after looking around at ammo, I have found that .380 is more difficult to find, and when you do find it, it is usualy more expensive than 9mm. This got me thinking, if I purchased a very compact 9mm I would only have to buy one kind of ammo, and it is one that is realitivley easy to find and inexpensive. My main purpose for this gun would actually be for my wife to shoot. She has very small hands and the XD is a little big for her to comfortably handle. It would also serve as my secondary, or back up home defence gun in case i had my XD in the shop for service or something. It would also be very easy to conceal, but this is really a non factor becuase I live in Maryland which is not known for granting carry permits. I have reserched this gun online and have heard mostly good things except I have heard of some failure to ejects. I respect the opinions on this site and am interested in what you folks have to say about this gun. Thanks in advance.

2. Stu

Stu XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All the gun shops told me they were hit and miss on reliability at this time. I was looking at them a couple months ago. All of them told me they would wait a year or so and let them work out all the problems.

3. mbpe912

mbpe912 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Look at who makes it and the rep they have for semi auto's.

to the OP try a Smith 3913, or 908s which are all single stack compacts.

4. 9 iron

9 iron XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I couldn't justify the price, I could buy the Ruger LCP and another XD for that kind of money.

I will probably wait a while to make this purchase anyway, so maybe I will check on the reliability factor then, and let that make my decision between the LCP and the 709 Slim. There is also the Kel Tec PF9 I guess I could consider, I have never been impressed with the craftsmanship on Kel Tec's though.

5. Volzfan

Volzfan XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Seems that many new guns are being released for retail sales before they have the bugs worked out completely. I have heard a number of failures with this gun so if it was me I would wait until at least the fall on 2010 before buying one.
    Take a look at a Sig SP2022 in a 9mm. They are reasonably priced and Sig quality. Bud's had them on sale a couple of months ago fro $439. I picked up one in a 40 cal and love it.

6. Rep Warmonger

Rep Warmonger XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just bought one, and i like it. put 1000 rds through at the range, no ftf or fte. Trigger took some getting used to though. my only complaint is that finding an extended mag is a pain. Good all around 9mm IMHO

7. WGSNewnan

WGSNewnan XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    same size as my G26 - lots of FTE on all ive seen. especially with WWB ammo. seen several sent back for repairs. i would wait about 6 months before purchasing for the ejector issues to be resolved.

8. KYXDM

KYXDM XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Amazing! I was just researching this gun tonight. Reading reviews, I find a lot of people that really like it. I currently carry a Bersa Thunder .380 and love the way it shoots, but the ammo shortage of the .380 has me searching for a replacement. My other gun is the XDm 9mm so the 709 makes sense.

This is the second year of production so bugs should be found and fixed by now. Its a great looking gun and the 8+1 capacity is nice. I would like to know if it can handle +P ammo.

9. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    I've only got 100rnds through mine with two FTFe which I'm sure is magazine related. Really like this little pistol so far.
    PT92 & Other Taurus Pistols

10. IndyMatt

IndyMatt XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I held one this evening and it was great in the hand. I really liked it! I am hitting a gunshow this weekend and if nothing hits me at the show then this little bugger will be mine. I am hoping to find a used Kahr PM series pistol. I have always liked the Kahrs. The reports on the P709 don't have me really concerned as Taurus will make it right.

11. 9 iron

9 iron XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am glad to hear some positive things out there on this gun. I too would love you get my hands on a Kahr PM9, but its hard for me to justify spending twice the money for the Kahr vs. the Taurus. I probably wont buy one for a little while yet anyway, so that will give them more time to work the bugs out.

12. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I felt strange spending almost 650 on a kahr p380 when there was a ruger lcp right next to it for like 300. But i owned another kahr and took the chance and am so glad i spent the money no regrets at all. It is the best shooting compact 380 i have ever used and ive used them all. Kahrs are damn good shooting guns. and the PM9 is a great pistol. They are pricey though over priced in a way but if its a gun you end up carrying and trust i guess there is no such thing as over priced.

13. sp4labs

sp4labs XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nephew has one and likes it.

14. Myk9noseknows

Myk9noseknows XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I am NOT a fan of Taurus auto pistols. Owned a few and all I owned were crap.

However, I will finally give Taurus some credit. They had the 709 designed last year as a basic copy of the Kahr PM9 (of course, Taurus copy's everyone elses great ideas and sells them as their own, another reason I don't like them)

Anyways, it was featured in a few gun magazines, but it never made it to market. They tested it and did some consumer research and realized they made a bad handgun. So they completely redesigned the 709 as the one you see now. I actually like the look of their first model, but it's a niche in the small handgun market with a 'big' caliber 9mm.

So hopefully they are becoming a more legit company, this shows me they are at least trying. I'd actually buy one of the new 709's just to get a feel for it, and because they are so cheap. But I'd probably never carry it and wouldn't trust my life with it (unless it REEEEEALLLLLLY impressed me). I own a few Kahrs that are flawless, so I don't know why I'd need one of these. But I'd be willing to give Taurus another chance on this model. Their 24/7 and 1911 knockoff are still junk crap that I would only melt down to pour into a bullet mold ;-)

15. Froggy13

Froggy13 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    My wife and I actually looked at one yesterday, it looks like a very nice little pistol. She really likes my 1911 as the slim grips fit in her smaller hands nicely and has expressed an interest in a "thinner" pistol for carry. She was impressed with the size and feel of the 709, it is very light as well. I own 2 other Taurus pistols and in spite of all the negative remarks made about these autos, I have been and continue to be a fan. I have owned a PT99 for years and it is one of the best shooting pistols I have ever owned and I recently purchased the PT 1911 which is my primary carry. I have never had any type of malfunction with either of these pistols and as soon as she gives the go ahead, I see a 709 in her future.