Springfield XD Forum banner

Thought I sold my XDs??Now buyer wants to return

8K views 71 replies 47 participants last post by  Joao01 
#1 ·
Sold my XDs 45 with low round count, 4 mags, custom kydex IWB/OWB holster and single mag carrier plus hard case with content for $475 yesterday. I travelled to the buyer will have to travel again to return his $.
I carried the pistol and have shot it with no malfunctions. Only reason for sale was to thin out my herd of short barrel 45's ( already have a Colt Defender and Glock 36 plus 9mm Sig 938 and Walther PPS all for CC).
Today the guy says the gun is garbage, had 3 malfunctions and I cheated him.
I will return his money and take back my gun.
Anyone think I should have told the guy it was his problem like a dealer would have? Sorry no refunds!
I never had a problem with this gun or would I sell a defective gun just to stick someone even though I have been the victim of such a sale.
I think the guy has buyers remorse, doesn't know what he is talking about and should avoid buying a gun privately.
I will have to think twice before selling privately again.
Anxious to hear how others would have handled this.

#2 ·
If he isn't a creep offer to accompany him to the range and show him it works as it should.

Or return his money, make sure you get all of your accessories back. Sell the holster and 1 of the mags separately from the gun and then sell the gun again. You'll probably make out better selling the holster and other mag separately.

Reactions: newxder50
#5 ·
probably is a terrible shooter that can't shoot micro-pistols well. Well, i say terrible shooter, really it boils down to skill. these micros aren't for everyone...

if it is truly junk, Springfield will make it right. have him send the gun in for warranty. If it's a lemon, SA will replace it with a brand new one.

#6 ·
If it worked fine for you I would not take it back. Get him to describe the problem and the ammo he uses and maybe help troubleshoot with him. Could also tell him to contact Springfield. Taking back a gun is very problematic. Anything from him switching out parts, the whole gun, or he used it in a crime and is now returning it, lol. Also, I have never sold a gun privately. What do you do about getting the gun unregistered from you? I would not like a gun registered to me to not be in my possession anymore.

#7 ·
How does he define "junk"? If the gun is defective he may have a point. If he just decided he doesn't like it, or he found something he likes better and wants to buy that instead...tough toenails, bucko.

No matter what the issue I wouldn't be traveling again. I might travel to make a sale, sometimes thats what it takes. But unless you actually want the gun back there's no advantage for you in it.

#10 ·
it's good old fashioned gumshoe work.

they find the gun, get the Manufacture and serial number. they contact the manufacture, and get the innital transfer. From there they follow the 4473's until they run out of 4473's. That person gets an interview and they either have their (wo)man or they don't and if they don't, well there's always the crime lab...

#16 ·
I've always approached private gun sales and purchases with the mindset that there should be a 3-day trial period. If the buyer isn't satisfied and returns it in the original condition, the seller returns the money. I would want that courtesy from anyone I bought from, and would extend it to anyone I sold to.

As mentioned above, I would inspect the returned firearm to make sure it is indeed in the same condition as it was when I sold it, and would expect no less from anyone I dealt with as well. I would also be likely to specify those terms in advance...

#17 ·
I have never sold a weapon, but whenever we sell a vehicle, the Bill of Sales states: "Buyer acknowledges he has inspected, and accepts the vehicle, as is, where is, with no warranty expressed or implied".

Buyer and seller each receive an original of the document.

BTW, OP joined Jun 2008, and this is the first post? I thought I was sometimes slow.......

You all have a good one!

#60 ·
I have never sold a weapon, but whenever we sell a vehicle, the Bill of Sales states: "Buyer acknowledges he has inspected, and accepts the vehicle, as is, where is, with no warranty expressed or implied".

Buyer and seller each receive an original of the document.
This is exactly what I have done in the past. - They can inspect it all they want... we can bring to range and fire if they want... (they buy new ammo at a store that day with me and fire that)... and we fire together. Once he accepts it, it is his.

#18 ·
I just got my XDS .45, and I also thought it was malfunctioning... until I read up on this site and found how you can't baby this beast. I'd bet he just needs coaching. Take one of your other CCW, just in case.

#53 ·
Warranty for workmanship of SA original, unaltered firearm?
Does that transfer over in a re-sell?
SA warranties the gun regardless of the owner. I know the documentation says original owner but I've had a 3-4 used guns fixed under warranty over the years with no questions.

If he isn't a creep offer to accompany him to the range and show him it works as it should.
I've done this before if, for no other reason, than to protect my reputation. The deal was that the buyer drove to my range and, if it shot fine for me, they keep it and move on.

#29 ·
I have sold several guns FTF but have never had one want their money back. I doubt I would give it, it sounds just like what the other posters are saying. He needs to learn to shoot the XDs. I might make an effort to train him but he could keep the gun.

#31 ·
All my guns are sold with a disclaimer on the bill of sale showing there will be no refunds or returns. It also states that the gun is being sold As Is, and is in used condition with no implied warranty unless still valid from the factory.

That said, I've never sold a firearm with a defect or issue I know of that I did no disclose to a buyer. I had an RIA TCM that would not reliably feed hollow point 9mm. I made the buyer aware. There would be no surprises in a FTF firearm sale from me, and I'm sure there wasn't from the OP either.

NO WAY would I be meeting to refund the buyer's money. He now has a gun, and you're bringing him cash. Hard pass. Tell him to call Springfield, or tighten his grip and try again. This isn't a full size sissy 9mm, you gotta be firm with it or it may malfunction.

Reactions: XDmax
#39 ·
NO WAY would I be meeting to refund the buyer's money. He now has a gun, and you're bringing him cash. Hard pass. Tell him to call Springfield, or tighten his grip and try again. This isn't a full size sissy 9mm, you gotta be firm with it or it may malfunction.
^^This^^

Maybe it's just my suspicious mind, but if I were a criminal this would be how I'd cover my tracks when I needed a weapon. Don't underestimate the possibility he just wants to have the gun AND the cash. You don't need it back, you don't need to do the guy a favor other than directing him to a local range where he can receive training.

OP, be sure to update us on this. It's kind of a strange first post, but hey, we're a strange bunch :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.