Springfield XD Forum banner

This is my AK with Mods

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  einheit 13 
#1 ·
Here is a pic of my AK, being shot by my son at the gun club on Friday.

It is an Arsenal SAM 7SF and I've added the Arsenal rail system to it, an Aimpoint T1, a vertical grip, a Tromix charging handle and a Krebbs safety.

See less See more
#5 ·
The Ak was designed as a infantry weapon. It is accurate enough for the common ranges that infantry engagements occur.

During the recent Iraq campaign, US Marine riflemen were interviewed about their experiences by after-action interviewers

Almost all interviewed stated all firefight engagements conducted with small arms (5.56mm guns) occurred in the twenty to thirty (20-30) meter range. Shots over 100m were rare. The maximum range was less than 300m. Of those interviewed, most sniper shots were taken at distances well under 300m, only one greater than 300m (608m during the day). After talking to the leadership from various sniper platoons and individuals, there was not enough confidence in the optical gear (Simrad or AN/PVS-10) to take a night shot under the given conditions at ranges over 300m. Most Marines agreed they would “push” a max range of 200m only.

#3 ·
It went "pew, pew, pew" ... and has done so many times.

It shoots great, with the AK 74 style brake on it. Very flat recoil, really fun to shoot.

#7 ·
When people say that the "AK is not accurate" it is a good opportunity to talk to them about what they mean when they use "accurate."

Do they mean "benchrest sub-MOA" accuracy? Is that their standard?

Do they mean "effective" when they use the word "accuracy" and by effective I like to talk to them about the principle behind "combat effective accuracy." The goal is not to poke the same hole through the same person twice, or several times, but to make the medic or coroner's job hard by poking multiple holes in center mass.

By that standard, the combination of the AK and the 7.62 x 39 cartridge is plenty accurate.

The other issue with the AK is the inherent problems with its sights. If one has the time in combat to line up a shot well with the AK sights, they allow you to be quite accurate, but the combination of the rear leaf sight's small notch, low placement on the receiver and the short sight radius add up to make the standard iron sights on an AK more difficult to use.

However, put a quality red dot optic on an AK and a decent trigger and you an extremely combat effective rifle whose cartridge punches considerably more whallop than the 5.56 NATO round.

In other words, when you hear somebody saying that the AK is not accurate, if possible, you have to help them think through what they are saying, what they think "accuracy" is all about in an assault rifle (yes, the AK is a true "assault rifle" and what's its purpose is on the field of combat.

Reactions: Nacho Man
#10 ·
I don't play games with terminology. I leave that to the firearms industry, gun grabbers, FUDS or geardos.

They play their little games and I leave them to it.

:)

#11 ·
thats a fine weapon sir...I too love a forward mounted, non-magnified optic on my Vodka-fueled lead slingers...

Also,as said previousl in numerous threads, my AK hasn't ever assaulted anyone...I believe "Carbine" is much less Libtarded than "Assault Rifle" ...just sayin ;)

#14 ·
Don't let the "libtards" turn you into a gun retard. The phrase that you may have in mind when you speak of the Libtarded is "assault weapon"...but an assault rifle is an actual thing.

Look up what an assault rifle actually is, the STG 44 was the first and the second was...drum roll...the AK 47.

Our AK variants that mere mortals among civilians get to have are semi-automatic only models of the AK design.

#12 ·
by "accuracy" in the instance I spoke of previously, I consider accuracy in the combat definition you mentioned. The ability to put several shots center mass quickly. I upgraded to a warsaw mounted scope. iron sights took too much time for me. the gun is much more versatile with an optic upgrade from irons.

#16 ·
I try to refrain from using any term uttered incompetently and out-of-context by Senators and Media Types...this includes: Clip, Assault Rifle, Assault Weapon...and the infamous Shoulder Thing that goes Up ;)

Anything synonymous with those douchenozzles is not conguent with 'proper terms' in my camp...YMMV...I am far from a 'Gun Retard' so you're pretty far from hurting my feelings with that jab

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.