Thinnest feeling XDs IWB holster

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by xxguitarist, Nov 3, 2012.

1. xxguitarist

xxguitarist XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Recently picked up a Desantis Sof-Tuck. Affordable, zero lead time, etc.
    Comfort, for me, is pretty poor. Concealability isn't the best either, in truth, for me.

I'm thin, athletically built, so there isn't much to squish a gun into to hide it.
    Prefer to carry @ 4:30 (IE, behind right hip)

The issue with the sof-tuck seems to be that the stackup is
    leather
    suede
    xds
    suede
    leather
    one layer of plastic for the clip
    fabric of my pants
    other layer of the clip plastic
    and finally my belt.

All of this combines to make it a bit too thick for it to hide well.

Do the whitehat/crossbreed types (silent thunder fusion looks thicker?), with offset belt clips feel a lot thinner when wearing? Need to move towards something that will work better for me in the long run.

2. dray654

dray654 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm about 6'1" and 170 lbs, have a whitehat and love it. Its insanely comfortable (mine took a few days to really break in) I can wear it at 3 o'clock in a tight tshirt no problem. Wore it all day at about 430 in Levis and a skin tight wifebeater and my girlfriend didn't notice I had it until I told her. I highly recommend white hats, well worth the money. Mine took about 3 weeks to get.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

3. jmonte345

jmonte345 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just ordered a PJHolster for my XDS. I use one to carry my CM9 and find it pretty comfortable. It's quite thin so it doesn't add much bulk to the gun.

Springfield XDS 45 ACP | PJ Holster LLC

4. Thunder71

Thunder71 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Galco Stow-n-Go, just not sure what size.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

5. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    I have my XDs in the size for XD sub compact. Works great, just a hair bigger then needs. Like OP, I did not want to add a boat load of holster material after paying money for a nice small gun.

Eta - I tried a small size Uncle Mike's, the neoprene style, definitely the thinnest holster but was not stiff and secure enough for me.

6. Devin.Morris.007

Devin.Morris.007 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    THIS!!!!

I bought one of these when I got my XDS just so I would have something to carry IWB and to have something other than the XDS gear that came with it to carry it in. I mean, it gets the job done, but I agree, its way too damn thick. I'm 6'6" and 180lbs and carry same place you do (4:30 behind the right hip). I carried my XD45C in a Galco Stow-n-Go and my XDS in the DeSantis feels just as thick in my waist as the XD45 does. I actually find myself using the XDS gear more... Not to mention that the clip on mine has already flexed out, so it doesn't clip tight any more. Actually had the holster come out with the gun when unholstering :shock: The thicker leather around the opening on the holster makes it easier to reholster, but at what cost? Definitely going to be getting something else ASAP. Want something a little lower profile for IWB, and also thinking of exploring the world of pocket and ankle carry.

-end rant-

As far as the White Hat/Crossbreed types, I have one like that too for my XD9 and I like it. The leather on mine was kind of stiff which made it uncomfortable, but once it got broke in it was fine. Its also kind of noisy when I move (squeaky leather). Thinking of exploring that option for my XDS as well.

7. xxguitarist

xxguitarist XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Devin,
    No issues here with the holster coming out with the XDs. Just comfort problems.
    To be sure: are you using the clip correctly?
    The majority of it is intended to sit behind your belt, with the little J catching the bottom edge of the belt, and most of the clip obscured from view.

Unfortunately, this means the pants have to hold the thing up..

8. WillP

WillP XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Beat me to it. I have one on the way.

[​IMG]

9. jeffscout

jeffscout XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I carry mine in this, sized for a G26. It is incredibly thin and comfortable. I choose it over my CrossBreed because it is so easy to put on and wear. I've actually jogged in gym shorts wearing the XDs in this holster with no issues. It also fits the Shield and Taurus 709. Highly recommend it and it is cheap, if you don't like it you aren't out a boatload of money.

BLACKHAWK! Leather Tuckable Holster - BLACKHAWK!

10. ricklee4570

ricklee4570 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have started experimenting to find the best holster for me. They all seem to be a compromise of one thing or another.

I prefer all leather with offset belt loops. The problem I find with most IWB is that they collapse slightly when the gun is removed hindering reholstering. Even the ones with extra leather reinforcement around the mouth, they still collapse.

These seem to be comfortable and thin. Kydex is thin but uncomfortable for me.

11. jhop

jhop XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Take a look at Remora & Sticky Holsters. They both carry nicely for short periods (2 - 3 hours). They are nice to protect in the car also. I use Old Faithful for all day carry, but the no clip holsters do not slip and are very convenient for a quick trip to the store. I have a Silent Thunder Fusion on order. I plan to review after I have used it for awhile.

12. dfettero

dfettero XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  13. Devin.Morris.007

Devin.Morris.007 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I had been wearing it like that, but it seemed to be a tighter fit on my belt when I clipped the clip over the belt too, at least at first. But I never realized that the clip would flex out after such a short time (2 weeks tops). Never had that issue with any other holsters. As far as with the clips.

14. Dave.540

Dave.540 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try a MIC holster from GLOCKTECH INDUSTRIES - cant post link yet, smallest holster out, I have one for my glock 23 and xds and love it its the only one I use very versatile.

15. Dave.540

Dave.540 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0