Thinking about a shotgun, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Shotgun Talk' started by taylorjr, Jan 18, 2013.

1. taylorjr

taylorjr XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    I'd like something versatile, one I could put a 26 or 28" barrel on and throw a choke in and go hunting, get home, swap the barrel for a 18" or 20" rifled barrel and use it for HD. I'd like some versatility as far as furniture goes, but that's not absolutely necessary. 12GA is a definite.

I've looked at Remington 870 Express, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 535, some NEF models.. Just looking for advice and recommendations. I'd like to stay under $500, Remington sells a combo at Cabela's with a 26" field and 20" rifled barrels

2. scott_ff65

scott_ff65 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would tell you the 870 is the way to go, but that is due to the fact all I've ever (and will ever) owned is Remington shotguns.

3. billxdm

billxdm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would tell you 500 is the way to go, but that is due to the fact all I've ever (and will ever)own are mossberg shotguns.

Haha

Anyways. They are both good guns. The only reason I choose the mossbergs over the Remington's is the position of the safety. It's on top where your thumb goes on the mossbergs. I feel it's better located there. Don't know why I care about that since I never use safety's anyways.
    Now since I chose the mossberg in the firstPlace I have stuck with it.

4. seawolfxix

seawolfxix XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 combo model. The Mossbergs will be a little less expensive.

5. Gealousy

Gealousy XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Weird. I could have posted this same topic. My next purchase will be something along the same line.

6. chupacabrachus

chupacabrachus XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I would go 870. Some complain about plastic parts on the 870, and the same can be said for the mossberg. I've had a plastic safety on a 500 break, and I have had 870s with some pretty terrible fit and finish. NEITHER is perfect, but both are great guns for the price.

7. thestinker

thestinker XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea you really can't go wrong with either one. I would just suggest which ever one you pick, if you get more, stay with the same brand since the safetys are in different places.

8. Monster87

Monster87 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definitely go with 870 tried and true shotgun. I've owned one for many years and havnt had a single problem with it whatsoever. There are also more upgrades available for the 870 IMO. If it's good enough for the military it's good enough for me.

9. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    I've owned both; I prefer the mossberg...but that doesn't make the 870 a bad choice.

One thing, though--you don't want a rifled barrel for HD; you want a smoothbore. Rifled barrels make an annulus (donut) pattern with buckshot.

10. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0

Um--the military uses Mossberg 590's and Benelli M4's the last time I checked...

11. Helpdesk9

Helpdesk9 XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Coast Guard

Use the 870 last I checked

12. meaty

meaty XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get an AA12

13. DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    You dont want a rifled barrel. Unless you strictly plan on slug hunting.

Look for a home defense combo, I know Mossberg offers a 28" and 18.5" package. This is essentially what I have except I purchased the shorter barrel a few years later.

Why I say you don't want the rifled barrel is that it will screw up the patterns on buckshot. It opens them waaaay up in a very short distance. This isn't what you want. A smooth bore barrel will still group rifled slugs well though not quite as good as a rifled barrel shooting sabot slugs.

14. taylorjr

taylorjr XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Thanks for the help so far guys. I'm really really new to the shotgun world, and I still don't understand all of it.

I'll clear up some of my intentions. I want a home defense tool (don't want it to be tacticool with lights and lasers hanging everywhere, but higher than avg magazine capacity and proper sights a big plus) but i'd also like a gun I could swap the barrel out and go skeet shooting, dove, quail, and duck hunting.

Here's what I've got so far - I'm looking at this model: Cabela's: Remington® 870™ Express® Tactical/Home-Defense Shotguns

It's got a tactical extended choke on it. I looked at it on Remington's website and the choke was labeled "Cylinder". I'm guessing it refers to the cylinder bore condition (somewhere around .730", according to Carlson's website), you can shoot anything out of it?

To be able to shoot sabot and foster slugs, I could put in a rifled choke or an improved cylinder choke for that, correct? And if i want to switch to buckshot, i'd put in a modified choke, right?

I'd also like to add a 26" vent rib barrel to it to shoot skeet. Somewhere around $190 from cabela's... I'd put in either a full or modified choke for that, correct? it looks like there's also skeetrem chokes, i'm guessing those would be a good choice as well.

Again, thanks for all your help. I'd like for this shotgun to be able to do anything (except probably deer hunting), just with proper parts. Not afraid to spend a little cash to do so as well.

15. mk3turbo

mk3turbo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another vote for the 870. I bought mine with the same intent you have and its been great!