Thigh holster questions

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by WSCOJr.BoneHunter, Jul 4, 2012.

1. WSCOJr.BoneHunter

WSCOJr.BoneHunter XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just bought a new toy and now I looking for a thigh holster for my XDM 45 4.5 to use when back packing. Does anyone have any suggestions? My back pack has large hip straps with pockets so a regular hip holster is out and I where my binos on my chest so the only place left is my thigh. I have been looking at the Blackhawk special ops but not sure if it hangs down low enough. I hike through a lot of brush and thick over grown areas.

2. windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 1
    If you're set on a thigh-rig, there is another post on here discussing it at well. (I had been looking at it... will post here if I can find it again)..... ANyway....

A few of the guys said that Blackhawk! Serpa will mount on a nice drop down rig, and those guys said they like them. A lot of others weren't too excited about the thigh set up..... let's see if I can find it.....

....... can't find the particular link, but if you go to the geartalk section, and search for "thigh" you will find a bunch of threads talking about it......

3. WSCOJr.BoneHunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Alright I'll try to find it. I've heard a lot of good and bad about thigh holsters but I don't know any other way to carry?

4. Old4Eyes

Old4Eyes XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Take a look at Bladetech. I'm not a fan of the Serpa's locking mechanism, I prefer the Bladetech's thumb activated retention. If you're clumping through the brush, the weapon and the holster are going to take a bit of a beating. If you get hip deep in a creek, the gun might be needing to hold it's breath. Are you sure you can't go to a shoulder rig? Maybe the binoocs can live on one side, the shoulder rig on the other? If you do a thigh rig, definitely go with Kydex, a leather one will get beat to death by the bushes.

5. WSCOJr.BoneHunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't think a shoulder rig would work with the weight of the pack, shoulder straps, and the bino's, my upper body is pretty well covered. I would post a picture but I don't have enough posts yet. The pack I'm using has a big wasted band and two levels of pockets on it. If I fill the packets full I almost can rest my arms on them, just not big enough to hold my gun.

6. JBubbs

JBubbs XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 1
    OMG do you go hiking for a week? I hate my thigh rig and I've only used it for a few hours hiking. Personally, I think that if you feel you need a gun readily accessible you need to move some things around. Maybe they have re designed thigh rigs but mine was like Tigger on a trampoline

7. Shadow1973

Shadow1973 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I used a Blackhawk Serpa for 12-18 hours a day for nine months while deployed. IMO, it was very comfortable. Gone on long patrols up and down hills, for long distances, and ran with it without an issue. One thing to note is to make sure the thigh straps are stretched a bit making the rig snug. If you don't, it will be like "tigger on a trampoline".

8. HokieCadet14

HokieCadet14 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I vote safariland. I carry it for the Marksmanship Unit at school, and we do a lot of run&gun, as well as just walking around/set-up and I have never had an issue. I have used a friend's level 2 SERPA and I was not impressed. To each their own though. I did like the Level 3 SERPA though.

Safariland makes a few good adjustable holsters with as many weapon combos and retention options that you can think of. the 6004/6005, 6304/6305 series are good thigh rigs. Look at the 6285 as well. It is belt mounted, but they drop the holster down 1.5 inches. It is kinda like a compromise between thigh and belt mounted holsters. That might clear you pack belt, but prevent the "Tigger Phenomena" you describe as well as being a bit more comfy.

Sorry if I seem like a fanboy...I promise you I am not. I just did a bunch of research before I got mine, and I figured I would contribute my findings.

9. texan_eagle_scout

texan_eagle_scout XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Even if he gets it below the waist belt, will he also have enough room to clear the holster when he needs to draw it?

10. HokieCadet14

HokieCadet14 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wouldn't be able to comment on that. It all depends on the pack, where the waist straps ride and other factors. Like I said, take a look at it. There is no harm in exploring different alternatives and gathering more information.

To answer your question: Dunno

11. RTAdams89

RTAdams89 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I say duck tape it to the forearm of your non-shootign hand or hang it from a chain around your neck. :)

In all seriousness, you might want to see if you can't take a regular holster and mount it to the backpack straps. If you go with a BLACKHAWK holster, they have different mounts so you can move the holster around between a thigh rig, chest rig, belt, etc.