Springfield XD Forum banner

The Shield Project!>>>>>>>>>>>>>

5K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  ZanderMan 
#1 ·
Good morning!

In my quest to find the perfect "pocketable" 9mm, I decided to give the M&P Shield another try. While the Shield comes darn close to meeting my requirements (particularly given that it's a striker fired handgun), there are a few things I wanted to change/modify - thus The Shield Project was born. :-D

I've just posted an article on ThruMyLens (with photos and videos) detailing the modifications to date - have a look at this link below:

The Shield Project on ThruMyLens

As always, don't hesitate to let me know in this discussion thread what you thought about the article. I'm also curious to hear about what you think of the mods!

#4 ·
I was also a little disappointed. I was expecting a bit more from a project :/

#5 ·
He's got one on the Sig P938 too... It's a series. :rolleyes:
The Sig P938 article on my site is a review. I've got at least a dozen gun reviews on my site. My article on the Shield Project was not a review. I did a review on the Shield when it first came out.

So...what exactly was everyone expecting? You change out the sights...address the texture/grip, and maybe do the trigger (which is next). What else??

#6 ·
THAT was up to you, building a dagwood sammich is a "project", opening a bag of chips is just snackin.
Calling it a "project" was just hyperbole, harmless but still....

Reactions: TucsonDirt
#7 ·
I think it's like saying "I'm building a project car. I put rims on it and tinted the windows."

Reactions: Ryno785
#11 ·
OP, I think you just stepped into a population of folks who don't think this is uncommon customization of a carry pistol. Even installation of a trigger kit or polishing the feed ramp is not unusual. Porting or experimenting with recoil springs? Modifying the slide serrations? Maybe.

It seems like you're just trying increase traffic on your site, here and via SigTalk.

#13 ·
OP, I think you just stepped into a population of folks who don't think this is uncommon customization of a carry pistol. Even installation of a trigger kit or polishing the feed ramp is not unusual. Porting or experimenting with recoil springs? Modifying the slide serrations? Maybe.
I think perhaps there is a segment in this community that my fit the population you describe - a group of "experts" who would consider these modifications essential nor uncommon. The mistake here is to assume that these folks are the "majority" and that as such, the article has no value based on a handful of vocal "experts." Remember, there's probably 10 (or more) lurkers for every poster - folks who aren't "experts."

It seems like you're just trying increase traffic on your site, here and via SigTalk.
If that were my intent, there's a whooole lot easier ways requiring far less effort (those pictures in the article don't take themselves for instance...). Sharing an article here has a near infinitesimal impact on my sights traffic. And no....I didn't post this article to Sig Talk.

Folks who actually produce content...even content that you don't particularly find personally useful...should be encouraged - not discouraged - to do so.

#16 ·
Exactly. I have a shield with similar mods. I included it in with my range report and shield review. I just don't see anything substantial enough to warrant an entire article.

#17 ·
I have a shield and love it. And I would never consider it "pocketable". When I saw the words project and pocketable I was thinking he cut down the grip, maybe he was some metalworking expert and redid the slide and barrel I don't know definitely not a project either in my opinion. if anything I would say he added some modifications to an already great gun out of the box.

#18 ·
In the style of Crocodile Dundee...

That's not a project... THIS is a project. Still ongoing, but the point remains.

Oh, and if the OP wasn't interested in driving traffic to his site (notice the *correct* spelling and usage...) why do I have to click through to it to read the info instead of even a single picture or detail being posted in this thread?

#20 ·
As far as the "content" remark is concerned EVERY poster here contributes "content", people don't only come here for gun reviews, they also come here for snappy retorts like: "F off cyber cop". It should also be pointed out the OP is no newb here and shouldn't be suprised.

#28 ·
I have slid my shield in my pocket if I'm just running into a store, but definitely wouldn't call it a pocket gun. You will definitely know it's there. 99% of the time it's on my hip.

#35 ·
I tried pocket carry in cargo shorts once, damn thing was flopping all over the place. I like my gun to be "stuck" in one place.

Maybe i needed a different holster or diff shorts,but i also didnt like having ro reach that far down. I felt like it may as well have beennon my ankle, but to each his own

#37 ·
^^^ That actually looks like a lot of fun!
And entirely counter productive to the purpose of the gun. (yeah I want it too)

Sights and grip tape are a project. Just a really quick one :-D

I'm still debating on whether or not I want to undercut the trigger guard on my 19. It's pretty much done unless I feel like doing that. As it stands though, I've got maybe an hour worth of labor in what I've done already.

#39 ·
Didn't James do a RMR mount on a shield?

#40 ·
I recall that David Bowie of Bowie Tactical has mounted an optic on the Shield, though I don't recall which one.

I thought about going that route, but didn't want to add any more size or weight to the gun (for pocket carry reasons). I already have several M&P 9C's with either a Deltapoint or an RMR:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.