Springfield XD Forum banner

How do you feel about the red X's you are given.

• I like conflict so I make a mental note of who to argue with later.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I do not care in the slightest.

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • I do not like it.

Votes: 15 46.9%

The Scarlet X Poll

6K views 72 replies 22 participants last post by  taylorjr 
#1 ·
In regards to the rating system that we now have in place, I have spoken with several people who do not like getting the red X and I will readily admit that I do not like it either. There are a couple of reasons that I don't like it.
  • The first reason is of the approximately 200 that I have about 170 of them were given by 2 forum members who got mad and just went through marking everything I posted with a red X regardless of what it was.
  • The second reason is that while I don't mind being disagreed with and in fact I occasionally enjoy it a little, giving a red X without any other response strikes me as childish. If you disagree, well fine but speak up about it. Furthermore, while disagreeing with a statement seems reasonable I have had people put a red X on a question. What the hell does that mean? Did I ask it the wrong way? Did I ask the wrong question? Was it my spelling?
Anyway, there's my opinion. I hope that you will give an honest one and that this does not turn into a red X free for all.

#2 ·
I don't care much about the X,s.
A disagree without any comment is worthless to me.
I simply don't think about it. But I only got 3 of them. :-|

#3 ·
Hmmm since I mostly (98% or more) view this site on my iPad or iPhone I don't see the little red X's you guys speak of. So they don't mean dick to me.
Also I don't care if you put a li red x on my posts or not as I assure you I won't lose any sleep over that or anything else posted here or on any other forums I visit.
Everyone has and is entitled to their opinion.

#5 ·
Like you, Jed, more than 60 percent of my red Xs came from one member...who has since been banned. I have used them sparingly. When I honestly disagree with something a person has posted I may give a red X, but not without comment.

Reactions: unclejed
#6 ·
I am not certain that he was actually banned but that is all I care to say about that. That is one bright spot though. The two people that gave me 170 disagrees both landed themselves in trouble. So it appears that the mods/admins take a dim view of that practice. However, it appears that they are in fact a mark in our permanent record just like my teachers warned me about.

#8 ·
I am usually careful in my responses and try to treat people with respect. That being said I have yet to receive a red "x". If I do receive one I will check my response to make sure it is not offensive or disrepectful. If I feel it is a clear response that meets this criteria, I will not worry about it. Hence my vote of "I do not care in the slightest."

As a side note the only ratings that I look at are funny, informative, and agree. I think this is a good way to recognize a post that someone put some thought into writing.

Reactions: fgowi and unclejed
#9 ·
In regards to the rating system that we now have in place, I have spoken with several people who do not like getting the red X and I will readily admit that I do not like it either. There are a couple of reasons that I don't like it.
  • The first reason is of the approximately 200 that I have about 170 of them were given by 2 forum members who got mad and just went through marking everything I posted with a red X regardless of what it was.
  • The second reason is that while I don't mind being disagreed with and in fact I occasionally enjoy it a little, giving a red X without any other response strikes me as childish. If you disagree, well fine but speak up about it. Furthermore, while disagreeing with a statement seems reasonable I have had people put a red X on a question. What the hell does that mean? Did I ask it the wrong way? Did I ask the wrong question? Was it my spelling?
Anyway, there's my opinion. I hope that you will give an honest one and that this does not turn into a red X free for all.

Jed,
I am with you, I got a few X's on an older post and when I looked at them to see why they were disagreed with I couldn't figure out why the people had posted the dreaded "Red X"...it seemed extreme to me.

After some thought, I decided to consider any valid points they had, if any, and move on. Some people just enjoy disagreement for disagreement's sake, we all remember that guy sitting next to us in the bar who had a few beers and then would spew his alcohol-induced philosophy to everyone within several feet, he knew everything about anything. Finally, someone would get tired of him and knock him out and that would be the end of it, until next time. It can be a bit of a minefield here sometimes.

#10 ·
Getting a red X from some internet commando doesn't bother me in the slightest...

#18 ·
The red x's give me nightmares, thats why i give em away.... Hey at least they're free! I think of the red x's more as a gift than anything, and here i thought i was helping out :cry:

#25 ·
I would like to think that it didn't matter to me what someone on the internet thought of me but I probably care too much. The X means "disagree" though, not, "I hate you" or "Your an a-hole" etc. I would rather have someone type out a well thought out reply though. I think the x, and other ratings probably cuts down on some of the conversation. That could be good or bad... I do prefer the challenge of a good internet debate over clicking icons.

Now, if the X gets a loud buzzer sound with it, I might have a real problem. LOL

Reactions: Enjoi829
#27 ·
Honestly, it only means whatever you think it means. That's one nice thing about the internet :) It would piss me off too though,

#29 ·
I gave my friend Jed a present in his OP! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reactions: Enjoi829
#31 ·
#36 ·
No problem on my end. Getting them from a buddy is all good IMO. Also, getting them and then being told why I am wrong is fine. It is the silent sucker punch red X or the all out blitzkrieg that I have twice experienced that I don't really care for.

#50 ·
Naaah. You have enough, friend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.