The Saint...BCM...Colt

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by CodeSection, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Apr 13, 2017 #1
    CodeSection

CodeSection XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 1
    I have been reading the various threads regarding AR-15 choices. I'm looking for something light like The Saint, Colt LE6960 CCU or BCM Recce 16 KMR-A. I realize the later two are in a higher league. At one time I was interested in a DDM4V11 until I saw a video where it was dropped on its side from five feet and suffered some problems.

I found the BCM for $1299 without sights. Gunbroker lists the Colt for $1197. My LGS has The Saint on sale for $699. I don't mind paying for the higher priced rifles, however, I'm looking at buying three. I prefer to buy all three the same. Obviously, I can buy two Saints for the price of one of the others.

So, if your life depended upon any of the above rifles, which one would you choose and why? Btw, the rifle is going to be used primarily for HD. All I care about is the quality of components and dependability.

I appreciate your thoughts.

2. Apr 13, 2017 #2
    Amish_ninjas

Amish_ninjas XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +3,488 / 21
    BCM.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Apr 13, 2017 #3
    Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 20K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +10,543 / 243
    BCM, definitely.

That being said, my go-to AR is a 6920...however, Colt seems to be slipping lately in their QC.

I'd give a Savage MSR Recon a look, too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Apr 13, 2017 #4
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Just drop the Saint from your list. As you noted, that's just not in the same league as the others.

And don't worry about that 5-ft. drop with the DD.

Anything can happen to any mechanical item. Even that BCM. Even that Colt. That 5-ft. drop as a singular instance is not going to erase the fact that DD's are excellent ARs, with pedigree, and also with very, very responsive C/S. Mrs. Daniel is actually a presence on the DD fan-base FB page, and has been known to step in.

Yes, I own both a DD and a BCM.

The BCM is an upper - paired to a BAD lower: AR15 lowers - suggestions - a part of my current class "beater" as I try to vet myself for LPVOs.

The DD was my class beater, which, after a few thousand rounds expended in a few classes, was retired to true-HD role last year.

I would - and do - trust my life to either brand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Apr 13, 2017 #5
    Snaphook

Snaphook XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +7,115 / 115
    I've been jonesing for that Savage MSR.

Others know a lot more about AR's than I do, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a BCM or a DD. I've come close to a DD on more than one occasion and don't doubt I'll get one someday.

I've also wanted an LWRC, their DI is priced really reasonably for what you get, or if I feel froggy I'd get one of their piston IC's.

I'd pass on the Colt, and I'd be a bit leery of the Saint given the experiences of some of the guys on this board with theirs.

6. Apr 13, 2017 #6
    nmxdshooter

nmxdshooter XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 2
    Daniel Defense. You get what you pay for.

7. Apr 13, 2017 #7
    EvilElmo

EvilElmo XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +167 / 0
    Another vote for DD. I have no personal experience with BCM but either will serve you well.

8. Apr 13, 2017 #8
    MrBoxx

MrBoxx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    After holding a DD at Cabela's one day, I knew there was no other AR I wanted. I knew they were WAY more expensive than others (though not as much as a Noveske or LWRC or some others). But now I have one, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I didn't even consider a Colt, especially after hearing some negative things about their quality control and customer service lately. I know some people are die-hard Colt fans, but their products have never really appealed to me at all.

And yes, the DD owners group on FB is awesome. Strictly DD-related, so you're not wading through random off-topic crap, and yes, Mrs. Daniel herself has chimed in a few times there have been quality/reliability issues. I wouldn't expect that level of customer service from many other manufacturers.

9. Apr 14, 2017 #9
    CodeSection

CodeSection XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 1
    Thanks for the posts! I decided to pass on the Saint...just not proven yet.

I'm going to call around stores in the Phoenix area to see if they have a BCM Recce 16 KMR-A or a DDM4V11. If I cannot find one, I guess I will decide on one and order it online and see how I like it before buying more. Currently, I am leaning toward the BCM.

I looked at the specs on the Savage...but at 7 lbs, I wanted something lighter. I currently have a Tavor (7.9 lbs without rounds, optics, and a suppressor). I really like it except for its weight. So, ideally for these rifles I would like something less than 6.5 lbs.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Apr 14, 2017 #10
    s1nemesis1s

s1nemesis1s XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 26
    BCM if you can for sure! They go above and beyond to make a rifle that will function anywhere.