The best carbine/pistol combo for SHTF???

Discussion in 'SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness' started by luddy2009, Jan 22, 2011.

1. luddy2009

luddy2009 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What do you all think about this subject? We all know that you should have a system of firearms for this type of situation but, do you think a carbine and a pistol are your best options? Maybe a carbine and a shotgun, maybe a shotgun and a pistol? Maybe some other combo?

What are your thoughts?

My choice would be the HK 45 pistol and the HK USC/UMP 45 carbine. Why? Well, they are both pretty reliable firearms and they utilize the same caliber of ammo. I personally feel that packing two different calibers would be slightly cumbersome and possible confusing when looking to reload. IMO, I would certainly sacrifice some distance range of something like an AR for matching caliber guns.

The USC/UMP carbines sport enough accuracy to handle some distance; probably like 200 yards if your a good shot. They also have the knock down power of the .45 ACP behind them for close quarters work.

2. Reyort

Reyort XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would not ask a pistol round to do a rifle's job. A 45 pistol is great. A 45 carbons, not so much. Do yourself a favor and get an ar or ak.

3. ackks

ackks XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    HK is up there in terms of quality, you can't go wrong. Personally, I'll go with an AK and a Draco ;)

I think in general we all over think the which rifle/pistol to buy thing. It's fun to talk about, but the fact that you can have endless debates about pretty much any rifle or pistol proves there usually is no clear choice. From now on I'm just going to buy what I like to shoot. I'll take them to the range more and get better with them. Plus I'll have fun. So, the best one IMO is the one you love the most.

The only other thing I'll say is if you are shooting at someone 200 yards away with a .45 you better aim high.

4. Pierced Armor

Pierced Armor XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For a SHTF scenerio where we're faced with battlefield type conditions, I would probably pick my Sig 226 9mm as my pistol of choice. The runner up to this would have been my HK USP in .45. The tiebreaker was that 9mm would most likely be more readly available and since I've trained more with 9mm, my follow up accuracy is much higher, thus choosing the Sig 226.

As far as a rifle, I'd probably grab my 16" POF P308 Recon. The rifle pick was difficult as I was really contemplating grabbing an AR15 instead, The .223 and ammo would be much lighter and easier to carry then the AR10 with full .308 mags. I would also be able to carry more ammo in .223. The tiebreaker was that in .308 I would have a greater range with better takedown power and since it's in a 16" configuration it would still work in a CQB situation if needed.

Hopefully this won't be a realistic situation that any of us will ever be faced with, but preparedness for any such scenerio is always a huge advantage if the worst ever happened.

PA

5. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 1
    If you want a carbine and pistol to be matched, either go light (22lr) or better pick something with a little more oomph than a 45. maybe a 44 mag or larger.

You are short changing yourself bad to avoid hauling an extra type of ammo.

pistols work best being small and light with short fat rounds. rifles work best with long skinny high-speed rounds.

the only modern round I know of designed as both a pistol and carbine round is the 5.7, and honestly, you are gunna need some serious coin to load up and practice with that combo. even then, you still have 2 different mags, so no net gain there.

I believe there is a ukrainian revolver out there chambered in 5.45x39:D

6. 1911XD

1911XD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Honestly, it depends on your environment. In a close in urban area a 45 pistol/carbine combo might be ok. Still no substitute for a rifle... 45 ain't a rifle.

In my rural area that would be a death sentence. You and your family could be taken out at the bad guys leasure with grand dads deer rifle. You are pinned down cause he is out of your range.

My combo is my XD9 and 308 FAL. I have an AR & Shotgun for back up. A shotgun is a necessity as a grocery getter and a specialty arm.

7. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +245 / 4
    Without a doubt, a .45-70 BFR and a Marlin 1895.

That way, when it really, truly hits the fan, you can reload with homemade black powder.

8. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Whoopie ... Another iteration of the "best SHTF weapon/long gun/pistol" topic ...

I love posting my choice of Beretta CX4 9mm carbine, and XDSC 9mm pistol, because then all the nay sayers, vis-a-vis pistol caliber carbines, come out.

Actually, the folks that don't like the pistol caliber carbines make good points. A pistol caliber round just doesn't perform like a rifle caliber round does. Even when fired from a long gun. They don't travel as far, and start to drop after about 100 yds. Don't think you're going to overcome that deficiency by loading +P rounds in your carbine, either. Ballistic reports on +P pistol rounds fired from carbines shows reduced muzzle velocity, and accuracy when compared to rounds with normal loads. Seems like regular FMJ rounds (Walmart, Remington White Box) perform best in a carbine.

Having said that, I chose the CX4 and XD9SC for reasons other than just performance of the rounds being fired. I wanted to have two quality guns that would be rugged and reliable, have reasonable accuracy up to 100 yds, be easy to carry, use, and clean, and would use a common caliber ammunition, which could most easily be found (stolen, scavenged?) in a time of societal breakdown. Also, carrying one caliber for both guns saves weight in the BOB. I.E. better to have a "good" gun with ammo, that the "best" gun without.

I have an AR-15, I carried and used an M-16 in combat in Vietnam. They are good guns (but I don't care for the AR's reliability). I'll bring and use my AR, if I'm bugging out in my truck, or have to bug in. My primary plan for the AR is for hunting and maybe long range sniping. However, the BOB is only packed with 9mm rounds, because if I just have time to grab two guns, it will be the CX4 and XD9SC.

9. m2jordan

m2jordan XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    A good 44mag lever gun and a good 44mag handgun. If you have to have the same round.

Otherwise a good carbine that you like and shoot well (AR, AK, etc...) and your favorite hand gun. Currently my truck guns are a XD45 Tac, Ak, and a Mossy500A persuader.

10. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    I'd go for a 9mm pistol and a .223 rifle both have cheap, available and more importantly light weight ammo. The pistol is only for last ditch anyway, the rifle is for the real work. Why compromise the rifle's power with a pistol round ? After all, you still have the same weight or more to haul around, why not haul something serious ?

11. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 90K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +778 / 52
    The Draco gets my vote.

12. gsh341

gsh341 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    The only real advantages to using a pistol caliber in a carbine is marginally faster bullet speeds and potentially better accuracy.

Get a rifle or a shotgun for your primary weapon and use your pistol as your last line of defense.

However, if you desperately feel the need for a pistol caliber carbine, I might suggest a 357 Sig as the caliber of choice. It has great speed out of a 4" barrel so I'd guess that a 16" barrel would be pretty fast too.

But I could be wrong since I've never seen the specs of a 357 Sig out of a 16" barrel before.

13. luddy2009

luddy2009 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Everyone makes great points for their own choices. Like someone stated, it really depends on what you're comfortable with and what your surroundings would be like. I won't need something that will really reach out and touch someone since I don't have enough area around me to see far enough to justify a true rifle caliber.

I'm still happy with the matching .45 pistol and carbine combo. :D

14. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 1
    357 might make for a good carbine round, especially with some slow burn powders.

I've never heard of a 357sig carbine, but it should be as simple as sticking a rechambered 9mm barrel in a 40 carbine

15. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1

That would be very similar to getting a pistol in 7.62x25 tokarev and a custom ar upper in that caliber. 1300 fps in the pistol and 1600-1700ish in the ar.