TFO's or XS Big dot

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories' started by apoll0741, Aug 28, 2012.

1. apoll0741

apoll0741 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm looking to replace the factory sights on my Springfield XDm 9mm but don't know which brand to go with. Im 22 but have really poor vision so a bigger more luminescent sight would really help me out especially if something goes bump in the night and I don't have my glasses. I really like the idea of the XS big dot and since I probably will never shoot at anything past 25yrds in anything other than a range setting their long range accuracy isn't too much of an issue. I've searched the TFO's before but heard of some quality issues and the only problems I've heard with the XS sights are people not being able to get long distance shots as easily. Any one have any experience or insight with these sight sets?

2. dw32005

dw32005 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 1
    I've got the TFO's and have never had a problem with them. Really like them in all lighting situations. I have pretty decent eye sight for the time being though. However if i knew it was going to be a HD gun and wasn't worried about what my pretty little pattern on paper looked like, the big XS sights do look pretty nice.

3. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +356 / 4
    Between the two--big dot. They don't puke FO tubes, and are actually pretty accurate at longer ranges once you learn to shoot them.

But your best choice would be Trijicon HD's.

4. GH41

GH41 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another vote for the Trijicon HD. I have used sights with FO rods on pistols and shotguns. They all eventually break and usually at the wrong time. The wrong time for me was halfway through a stage is not so bad. Halfway through a gun fight would be bad. GH

5. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4
    ^I concur with the above..;)
    I like the HDs.

I want to like Big Dots, but I'd also like range precision with my sights, even on a carry gun.
    From what I've read, Big Dots are good defensive sights, but one can lose precision using them.
    In other words, they are great for quick point and shoot acquisition, as needed in an SD situation.
    But not so much hitting the 10 ring at the range.:|

I've never cared for TFOs.
    Just the physical size of the actual sights turns me off.
    But that is just me..:cool:

6. Bikeguy

Bikeguy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Big Dot all the way. I have them on my XDm and I recently took second in a bullseye shoot and first in a bowling pin shoot with them. Now, no-one there was shooting a bullseye gun, but several folks had Dawson precision sights on their 1911's and none of them are slouches with a pistol. I can fairly reliably hit a clay pigeon at 25 yards.

In other words, you won't notice a loss of accuracy unless you are a hell of a shooter and you are shooting for tiny little groups.

And the big dot is very easily visible in low light, and super fast to pick up in daylight. Plus, for me at least, the dot just seems to line itself up with the bar automatically - kind of like a ghost ring.

7. Happypuppy

Happypuppy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have XS big Dots on my carry guns. I am not as accurate at 25 yards as the other sights. However I am combat accurate to about 40 yards. The big differences I like in the sights vs the others (meprolights and Glock night):

No sharp corners
    Lower profile
    Simple...put the ball on the target and shoot

The final and most important IMO is very rapid to acquire a target. I am almost a whole second faster getting off 3 rounds from holster. I'm not a kid anymore and the big sight is easy to pick up. My carry guns are setup for self defense. Speed and combat accuracy.

The other types of sights I find easier for target shooting and shooting at distance. I would guess the other sights I am about 25% more accurate and take my time.

Sent via Mental Power

8. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4
    ^ I may get a set and try the big dots on one of my Glocks.
    I don't really do much shooting at 25 yards.
    Most of my range shooting is done at more realistic defensive distances.
    The big dots would probably be a good choice for the home defense pistol since the wife doesn't shoot much.
    Probably be easier for her to aim.

For those that are using them;
    Why did you pick the big dot over the standard (smaller) dot?
    Trying to figure out which one of those to buy is another reason I haven't tried them yet...:-|

9. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +356 / 4
    Well, I went with big dots on my G21 because the place where I bought them was out of Trijicon 3-dots, and offered the XS's for the same price.

I also have a S&W 325 with a Big Dot front sight, but the C&S U-Notch rear...and that system rocks.

10. 700xcr

700xcr XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got the XS Big Dot sight for my Ruger SP101 357mag. and haven't installed it yet. I have the Trijicon HD sights on my XDM 45 and love them. Went with the XS Big Dot on the Ruger because Trijicon didn't make the HD for the Ruger yet.

11. biggjimm

biggjimm XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the tfo's on my xdm40 & I really like them. I think the xs dots would be great too though. I have a similar sight set up on one of my ruger 22-45 mark lll's. It's a hi-viz fiber optic up front & the target adjustable rear. But I didn't like the big square notch the rear sight came with so I made one out of a piece of sawzall blade with a shallow v-notch & a single vertical white stripe & I was amazed at how much faster I am with it. I'm gonna guess that the next steel match I shoot I'll shave at least a full second off of each run if not more. It is just a quick & simple set up. I'll probable look into the xs dot sights for my xdm now that I've shot a similar set up & like it. I think with the small dot I wouldn't have any problems at longer ranges but the big one would probably get a little sloppy at longer ranges. So I would say it's go.na come down to personal preference & which ever one you like the best. That's what really matters on your gun, if you like it works for you.

12. KenW.

KenW. XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I put Big Dot sights on a 3" 1911 and needed to be inside the barn to hit the side of it.

Conversely, I have TFOs on two of my XD pistols and really, really, like them(love is reserved for family members).

They glow at night, and really shine in the daylight.

13. Happypuppy

Happypuppy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the reason some people have trouble with the XS sights is one of perception -that it's like other sight systems. When I first got them I kept trying to line up the big ball in the center of the rear sights notch. I figured that is how I did it with the old U or V sights since I was a kid and it was the same .

I was shooting a red dot system on another system and it dawned on me as long as it was a relative straight line from my eye the big dot I was good. The eye can't focus on 3 planes, rear sight front sight and target. I focus on the front and put it on the slightly blurry target and fire. I don't even really see the rear just a horizontal line. In my mind I tell myself to put the apple on the fence post and fire. From 10 feet out to as far as I can realistically shoot I am much more accurate.

I just wanted a system that was better than point and shoot yet allowed me to the limit of my combat range, put all the rounds on a combat target not a bullseye. For myself I wanted speed. I go to the range with my 23 year old son. He is twice as fast if we both use stock sights. I am closer in speed with the XS sights.

If you want to shoot bullseyes the XS sights may not be for you. They are less precise. Most of my groups are 2 fist size. Using my other guns and sights I can make groups half that or on a good day better still.

I know some can shoot much tight groups with XS sights. However they can I suspect, do even better with conventional sights, just not as quickly.

Sent via Mental Power

14. apoll0741

apoll0741 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I'm still looking at the big dots but I didn't realize that they didn't keep the same profile as the stock rear sight. So now it's between them and meprolight tru dot night sights. I think I'm going to call or email XS to see if other sights that keep a similar profile to the xdm rear but aren't necessarily for the xdm will work.

15. Bikeguy

Bikeguy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You really need the XS rear with the Big Dot front.