Texas Resident- Florida CHL?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by JAguirre, Jan 20, 2010.

1. JAguirre

JAguirre XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone.

Ive decided to finally get a CHL, and I was unaware that I am not eligible to get a Texas CHL. ( I was arrested for DWI in Sept '07, DPS dropped charges and I never lost my license, Did deferred ajudication for the county charges, then the charges were dismissed.) I called DPS and they confirmed that even though the charges were dropped, for CHL purposes that a deffered ajudication is treated as a conviction. DPS doesnt care that I'm in law school and a member of the American Bar Association, they still feel like Im a criminal...... So, to make a long story short I can't apply for a Texas CHL until Sept 2012.

So, Ive been reading and I can apply and should qualify for a Florida CCW which has reciprocity in Texas. A person doesnt have to be a Florida resident to get a Florida CCW.

Has anyone here done this? If so, have you had any problems with carrying in Texas? Ever had any contact with LEO while carrying Florida CCW in Texas?

I spoke to a licensing agent from Florida and he told me that I need to take an NRA or Law Enforcement approved firearms safety course for the Florida CCW. Would a Texas CHL course suffice?

Any other pertinent info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Wired

Wired XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Check TX law. In CO you have to be a resident of the state that issued your CCW. In this case you would have to be a resident of FL to carry in CO.

3. nalioth

nalioth XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Yeah, check the law.

Some states laws say that your out-of-state CHL isn't valid if you're a resident where you're using it.

4. Bucc5207

Bucc5207 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    +1 check TX law. I have a FL CCW license, and NM honors it despite my NM residency. In your case, I'd also want to confirm that your DWI doesn't completely disqualify you from carrying concealed in TX no matter what state's license you have. If you worked with an attorney to resolve your DWI matter, it might be worth the money to consult with him/her.

5. JAguirre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ive been researching all evening and everything I read shows that I should be able to use a Florida CCW to carry here in Texas....

Anyone else have experience in this area?

6. TeeJay

TeeJay XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    FL and TX do reciprocate. if you can get a non resident FL permit you should be covered, of course, checking out the statutes for yourself is wisest.

7. Sewer_Ice

Sewer_Ice XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If the reciprocity law says you must be a resident of that state for the CHL/CCW permit to be valid, then no. If it doesn't your good.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

According to this your good if you get a Florida or Tennessee CHL. But from what I hear Florida is more reciprocal to other states.

I am not a lawyer, so I would suggest confirming this with an attorney prior to making any action.

8. cajunautoxer

cajunautoxer XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since Fl has a non resident CWL your good to go

9. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I live in Austin, and I took a class for the Utah CHL permit which has reciprocity in Texas. It was only a four hour class and it was cheaper. I took the class in Georgetown about 30 mins N. of Austin. There are only 2 guys who give the Utah class in this area. So you might check on that. The guy I took my class from said he may go to Florida to become a licensed instructor for that state as well. Then he can give the class here in Texas.

No problems carrying with my Utah. I showed to a Sherrif's Deputy one time and he gave it right back no questions asked.

10. JAguirre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I finally got a straight answer from Texas DPS.

I explained my situation to a different DPS licensing Tech, and he told me that I CAN legally carry with a Florida Non-Resident License, and that there should not be any problem, unless I were to run into an LEO that doesnt know about the reciprocity laws. He also suggested that I file a motion with the court that charged me with a DWI to have the case status be changed from "dismissed" to "vacated, set-aside, or annulled".

I hope this information helps somebody else.

11. JAguirre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thanks for the input. I signed up for the NRA class that Florida requires this morning. I looked at Utah, but I can't find anyone in Houston that teaches the Utah class. Florida only requires a NRA approved class, and its only $50.

12. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well there you go, good information.

13. BigSwede

BigSwede XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Check it out when you apply for your FL license. Seems like I remember that while you have reciprocity with a FL CCW permit, you can't have one if your home state doesn't allow you to have one. It may be in the application or fine print of the rules. FL has a pretty quick check you can do....Check here.

Hope this helps.....

After digging a bit, seems that if you were convicted or otherwise charged twice for a duI, you might have problems. Looks like you should be good to go. You can still check the link above to double check

14. stainone

stainone XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    great job mang!! thanks for the info!!

15. JAguirre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BigSwede, Thanks for looking into this. I did the prelim check for Florida a couple of days ago, and like I said, I dont foresee any problems. I also spoke to a Florida licensing agent and he said it should be fine too.

The moral of this story is not to EVER get charged with a DUI. Even though I never lost my license and nothing came of the charges it was a pain in the ass when I applied to law school, now its a pain in the ass getting a CCW.