Springfield XD Forum banner

talon grip question

4K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  vincent.rafferty 
#1 ·
Rubber or granulate grip? Looking for a lil better grip for my 4" original XD .40 I have read a lot of you raving about your talon grips.. what's the real difference?

#2 ·
I prefer the rubber Talons, especially for a weapon carried iwb. The rubber is comfortable and gives me a very good grip.

If it was for comp only, I may consider the granulate.

Just make sure you clean the grip very well. I use a towel and bottle of alcohol.

#5 ·
If you don't know what you want, what makes you think you need grip tape?

Most of my guns don't wear grip tape. I do use the granular on my G19 Gen 3. It is a range toy. My Shield and XD9SC go naked. When I had an LC9 I used the rubber texture. Slimmer, slicker grip needed something more sticky.

Figure out what you are trying to accomplish. Don't do it just because the cool kids use Talon grips.

kypix

#6 ·
If you don't know what you want, what makes you think you need grip tape?

Most of my guns don't wear grip tape. I do use the granular on my G19 Gen 3. It is a range toy. My Shield and XD9SC go naked. When I had an LC9 I used the rubber texture. Slimmer, slicker grip needed something more sticky.

Figure out what you are trying to accomplish. Don't do it just because the cool kids use Talon grips.

kypix
I do know what I want..I want a better feeling grip on my piece. Do you have any opinions that may help? Maybe another form of grip assistance?

#7 ·
For an XD40 you cannot go wrong with either PRP or Talon. Hogue sleeves would tend to interfere with the grip safety. For range use, I like the more aggressive granular tape. Comes down to personal preference on the feel you are looking for.

kypix

#12 ·
I had the PRP tape on my XDsc and it was a major pain to install. It had several tiny cutouts on each piece. After it was installed it started coming up on several of those cutouts. The Talons on my XDs took about 10 minutes to install including prep time. The PRP tape on my XDsc took almost an hour. The Talon the is one piece while the PRP tape is multiple pieces. Even though the PRP tape is cheaper I cannot recommend it for the XD grip. It might be different for an different gun, but the XD grip design is horrible.

#16 ·
The rubber Talon grips have a great feel and good traction. Much more so that the hard plastic of the original grips. Stippling may give you a better grip than stock, but doesn't feel as good in the hand. Rubber grips are better if your hands are wet or perspiring. For EDC, it's hard to beat the Talon rubberized grips. The granular grips have a tendency to grab your shirt, if you know what I mean.

For range and competition, the granular sand paper type might work better.

#26 ·
I just put talon grips rubberized on my XDm 45 4.5 so far i love them. Waiting on my slide to come back from cerecoat, so i can shoot this thing again.
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Airsoft

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.