Synthesis of Chloroform as an anesthetic.

Discussion in 'SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness' started by PolsVoice, Aug 15, 2010.

1. PolsVoice

PolsVoice XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I've been looking at what can be created with limited resources towards a medical end in a SHTF scenario. It seems that chloroform would be pretty simple to synthesize given access to a source of cold to slow the reaction and a modest amount of chemistry equipment.

Downside though (very big) is that if it is improperly stored and not stabilized with ethynol it partially breaks down into phosgene. Yeah, that ugly gas from WWI.

thoughts?

2. ruiner85

ruiner85 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How readily does it convert?

Have you been to Survival Forum and Gear Reviews?

I wouldnt be so hasty as to abandon what you can find as opposed to create.

Ketamine, medical or pharmaceutical grade. Dont forget your local drug dealers as well, I would assume they would be abundant in a shtf scenario. I know it sounds messed up, but if its life or death...... Heroine, morphine, opium.

No input on synthesis, sorry.

3. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Unless there was no other choice, I don't think I'd try making chloroform for an anesthetic. I might use ether out of a can of starting fluid before I used home made chloroform.

Anyways, there are much better options, and hopefully you wouldn't find yourself in a situation where you'd need to do this. I'm assuming you're thinking about using it on a rag over the nose and mouth. If so, how much do you put on there? How long do you hold it there? I know I'd have to look it up, and that info might not be handy. You screw up, and your "patient" is dead!

4. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yeah, that knock on the door is Homeland (in)Security asking why you are making a weapon of mass destruction...

It would be better to stock up on pills that you don't finish (vicoden, tylenol 3, etc). Put them in a vacuum bag in the freezer. It will easily 3-5x the shelf life.

5. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Doesn't sound like a good idea to try such a thing as making your own chloroform under SHTF conditions. Particularly if it needs something like specific cooling, and also since it breaks down into a deadly gas. It doesn't make a whole lot of good sense. For pain just pack some ibuprofen and tylenol, and maybe some ointments containing benzocain.

If you're addicted to an illegal drug prior to SHTF, then you're going to be in deep do-do. The dealers and their supply lines will go away pretty quick. They need the infrastructure to function. Just like any other business. Even if you did find a reliable source of heroin or opium (which is extremely unlikely), why the heck would you want to risk addiction and add yet another problem to the many you will already have?

6. gsh341

gsh341 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    If you really need to knock someone out so you can work on them, ether works. It is very dangerous (potentialy lethal) to do, but it can be done.

7. PolsVoice

PolsVoice XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    UV light @ room temperature can do it. This is why it is always stored in a brown glass bottle.

As far as storage goes, it can be easily stabilized with ethanol.

8. fmfdocsci

fmfdocsci XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Unless you have the appropriate equipment what you propose could be very dangerous, especially for anyone you tried to use your home brew on.

I wouldn't trust chloroform made in a non-production facility by chemists I have known for many years, much less a beginner.