Springfield XD Forum banner

Suitcase resentment

18K views 174 replies 55 participants last post by  srcphoto 
#1 ·
I sent an email to SA this morning because I cannot sort out in my head why we (customers) should have to pay the price for their marketing/sales shortcomings. The XDs pricing/value situation is a world-class blunder imho.

The subject of the email was - Why I may never buy another SA weapon

This email may only serve as mild therapy for a case of buyer’s remorse, but I thought I would share some customer perspective. I bought my first SA weapon about five years ago, a 1911 that I had been desiring for a while. I fell in love with the craftsmanship and truly appreciated owning such a historic handgun. I then went on to acquire my CCL and chose a small Kel-Tec as my first pocket gun. It wasn’t what I wanted, but I was on a budget.

Then came the XDs line… I saved up the money for a .45 and the love affair began. It became my EDC and I was stunned by it’s accuracy and shouted from the highest mountain that the perfect carry gun (for me) had been discovered. I was invited to try out a USPSA group by my son, so I staggered 5 and 7 rounds mags and strapped on my factory holster and mag holders. I felt good using my EDC in a practical training environment. My son is a graduate of the Police Academy so I expected him to finish ahead of me in our class, but the gap was smaller than either of us expected. That little black beauty was extremely accurate.

I lost that gun to a home invasion a year later. I can’t describe the emotions that flood a person when violated in that way. As soon as we received the insurance check I ran to my LGS and invested a little more in a new XDs bi-tone .45. Love was back... I struggled a little in understanding the differences between SS and black, but after a call to your CS I was squared away. Life goes on and I get a Glock 19. Nice gun, but I don’t prefer the grip angle. I was recently offered a straight up trade for an XDs bi-tone 9mm. I couldn’t resist even though I'm too old for twins. The 9mm is awesome, but this is where my frustration begins.

As a military service member, I try to buy “blue label” whenever possible. SA is the exception. As a SA fan who is not aware of any LE/Military pricing for SA, I bought on loyalty alone. When I started researching why a guy would trade me a $600 gun for a $500 gun I was disappointed to learn that your Essentials Pack program has driven the pricing down on my XDs’. I buy guns I can resell if our personal economy goes south. To find out that I am upside down on a gun I love was heartbreaking. How would I explain this to my CFO (wife)? And then I learn that new buyers in the $400 XDs range are getting three free mags… I don’t have the words. Your Gear Pack/Essentials Pack has cost me money. I can’t give either of my XDs’ away for $525 (I’ve tried) and now new owners get three mags that I paid $40/per for over the last two years. Wow! You may get new sales out of all this, but my loyalty is strained to say the least. My SA story has taken a turn for the worse on the alter of sales.

Respectfully,

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm just not sure if this is serious or not. But.....

What can I say? Polymer guns are not investments. Not to mention that when they first came out, XDS's were in hot demand Now supply has caught up with demand and prices have adjusted,

Couple that with the fact that gun prices in general have been recovering from the 2013 scare and you are highly unlikely to get back what you have in an XDS purchased back then. Right now, seeing as a new XDS can be gotten for a little over $400, plus 3 free mags, I would think someone lucky if they can get $350 for a used one .

#5 · (Edited)
Flipping low to mid level handguns? No such thing. Check out the panic-buyers all over Armslist trying to get $1200 out of their $600 ARs right now. U know, the ones they pd $1500 for after the Sandy Hook butchery...ain't gonna happen.

On the plus side, if you need any work done to your XDS I think James offers a "blue label" discount...you should ask him about it.

Sorry you paid too much. Prices change, supply and demand and all that. Nobody can really predict what manufacturers are gonna do with their pricing. The ones that DO know (insiders) are bound by non-disclosure.

Being an early adopter is expensive, but we all thank you for it...that's what brings prices down for us common folk. If people hadn't bought $10,000 flat screen TVs so many years ago, I wouldn't be able to buy one now for <$500.

I was really hoping this thread would have had a gif of the Samsonite gorilla resenting a suitcase by now.

#16 ·
You're right, of course, and I get it. The good news is that I just checked the egg timer and I'm almost over it. I realize now that in this forum world, one should carefully choose their entry post. My bad... I've been thoroughly enjoying reading from a distance and learning a few tips along the way. Between posting what apparently seems like a rant and that fall on the stairs recently, I may just be getting old. If it helps... I still love my XDs. Maybe the Gear Pack will come back in style some day. Back to the sidelines...

#13 ·
Malcontent.

I paid like...10 dollars for grip screws for my P220 and it took almost 2 mos for em to show up in the mail. I guess I could have just got em locally, paid less and had em on the gun the same day but that would have required pants and a desire to leave the house.

Plus...surprise visits from Brown Santa are fun. it was a surprise cuz i fergot i ordered em....

#19 ·
It is a very soft market right now. I had to sell a very nice condition Sig P226 worth $800 new for $550 just to get the money for my XDS because my back is screwed up and I needed a light pocket carry gun. That's life! Funny I signed up for Sigforum and complained about my first P229 that had weird rail wear about 7 years ago. After thousands of rounds through multiple Sigs with zero malfunctions I have a different perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
It is a very soft market right now. I had to sell a very nice condition Sig P226 worth $800 new for $550 just to get the money for my XDS because my back is screwed up and I needed a light pocket carry gun. That's life! Funny I signed up for Sigforum and complained about my first P229 that had weird rail wear about 7 years ago. After thousands of rounds through multiple Sigs with zero malfunctions I have a different perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you post it here?

#24 ·
While I sympathize with the OP about Springfield seeming to randomly decide when to give away free mags, I also have to laugh...because if you are basing a purchase on just the pricetag and who will give you free stuff, you are a dumbass...

You got a quality firearm, you shoot it well from the way it sounds and you are content with the weapon--turn down the butthurt and enjoy your gun, learn the lesson being taught and stop trying to push your screw-up onto Springfield...

Just my $0.02

Reactions: Gigantore
#30 · (Edited)
So you're po'd because SA brought down their prices and had a give away? But you like the XDs, as evidenced by fact you bought a second. These are not investments, they are depreciating assets, they devalue as soon as you ring in at the cash register, just like a car. Except perhaps classic cars or guns - a high production polymer gun will never be a collectible.

Edit to add - GOAT

#32 ·
I got my XDsc. 40 for much more than I can get out of it now. I got the full package and now Springfield is offering the essentials package for $399 and you can get it cheaper if you shop around. I paid a low market price for my XDs 9mm about a year and a half ago and also got the full kit. Now the essentials package is a much better deal. I guess that is where the expression "live and learn" comes from...:rolleyes: To me it doesn't bother me as I have no plans to sell either gun as these are my main carry guns.

#34 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.