Suitable target backdrop?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by spyderhd, Jan 17, 2013.

1. spyderhd

spyderhd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am building a shooting range on my property this spring. I am haveing a load of dirt brought in to build a mound to shoot into. I am also going to build a frame to hold a backdrop for a place to tack targets on. I am looking at horse trailer matting. This is very dense rubber, about an inch thick. I think it will work great to tack targets on and should take quite a few rounds before needing replaced. My question is this, should I have any concern about bullets bouncing off? We will be shooting 22, 9 and 40. 20 to 100 yards.

2. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I would be interested in seeing pic of it once you get it up and going.

you should update us now and then and let us know how it holds up.

3. JCALDWELL

JCALDWELL XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    my local range uses Tires. They stack stack them up and fill them with dirt. its Advance Bullets is Temple, Ga.
    [​IMG]
    It is hard to see but the target is in front of the dirt mond and the tires are on top and filled with more dirt. I know this isnt what your trying to do but the tires still might work for what you want

4. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +209 / 9
    It's called a backstop. I'm sure if you googled that you'd have more results.

5. Rmart30

Rmart30 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    we did a pyramid of tires and covered them with dirt...in front of the berm for the target holder to be stapled onto we use conveyor belting.
    About the same as what you are asking about it it works fine.

Stacking the tires saved us about 5 triaxle loads of dirt and used tires you can find anywhere and people are glad to get rid of them

6. g40

g40 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    This is my bullet trap. It has about six to twelve inches of sand and a truck plastic/rubber mud flap to keep sand to stay more in place.
    I use a roll of freezer paper with coat hanger going through the middle and use cloth pins at top and bottom to keep paper taught. At bottom I clip paper to a bungy cord. I cut out a one foot square cardboard piece and cut out the target shape in that piece. I hold the cardboard target up to freezer paper and spray paint it leaving the target shape on freezer paper. have that target shot up just pull down more paper and paint another target. Much cheaper than buying targets for sure.
    You could build a stand made from 2x4 just to hold your freezer paper in front of your dirt backstop.
    Every so often I pick out the bullets from sand. I also built a pvc frame which I cover with a sheet to catch the spent casings. No need to look all around for the casings this way.
    I walk out my back door and shoot away. I just love not paying for shooting range anymore. Unlike shooting ranges I can walk up to target every few shot to see how I am shooting. I don't have someone standing next to me throwing ejected casings at me either.

Attached Files:

7. harleydavidson1200

harleydavidson1200 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Best backstop ever? Your inlaws :) joking i love my inlaws and they love me

8. JCALDWELL

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That seems pretty cool

9. js12278

js12278 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    damn...I miss being able to walk outside and shoot. I wouldn't use bare tires for a backstop for .22. I would feel better covering with sand. The best idea is the use of tires to build the backstop in a manner to reduce the amount of sand needed. One ricochet and you will learn real quick.

I had a few 1/2 " thick 12 x 12 rubber mats that were reinforced with hemp rope plys. I shot .223 at targets mounted on it. Basically self healing. I put 2 panels back to back for shooting the .40. It catches the federal 180gr fmj in the second panel at 25'.

10. thejoe

thejoe XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    .22 will likely bounce off the rubber matting and tires - could send them back your way or an unpredictable direction and result in injury. The injuries wouldn't be severe, most likely, but still not a good idea. As others have said, cover with a layer of something mor absorbent.

11. JCALDWELL

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The tires are filled with dirt, maybe something eles inside also, but i'm not sure. But the place has been open about 20+ years and no ricohet off the tires yet. They are more worried (and this has happened) about people trying to shoot the metal target holder. For some reason people think it is fun but it is has caused ricohets in the past but not bad enough to come back to the shooter, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen i guess. People love to break the rules for some stupid reason, its a gun range for pete's sake!