Suggestions on which long range scope for Socom 2

Discussion in 'M1A /M14 Talk' started by Mowerman, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Mowerman

Mowerman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Imitially I was going to mount a CQB style sight like an Acog or Trijicon. I have since decided that I want something "good" that I can reach out and touch paper with. My range is only 200/yds but I want something for 800-1000 yards. Any suggestions?

2. Scouter19D

Scouter19D XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Had good luck with a Nikon on my M1A. I currently use a Buckmaster with mil-dot. The Monarch Mils are super nice, and affordable. If you want to go with rugged, and slightly better quality, but don't want to break the bank, the Trijicon Accupoints are tremendous scopes for the money.

The .308 isn't really a strong 1000 yard round. Even the Army refers to it as 800 yard effective range. Couple that to a shorter, non-match grade barrel, and you'll have your work cut out for you. Be sure to stock up on match grade ammunition. Something heavier and stable for the flight. Had great luck with Black Hills Match w/ 155 grain A-Max bullet. Not out to that distance, but shoots between 1/2 and 3/4 moa at 100, very reliable to 350. Farthest I've shot it so far, but would definitely trust it to 600. Best of luck.

3. Mowerman

Mowerman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Excellent, thank you for the reply! I will definitely check out the Accupoint. I'm not shooting any further than 200 yards right now but would be very happy to get out as far as 600 accurately. Thanks for the ammo info. as well, I will have to try them out. Thanks again.

4. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    What's your budget and is this daylight only or do you need low light performance cuz clarity is one of the things that separates a $300 scope from a $1k scope? Are you ranging and need something more than Mildots and are you shooting from a bench or need something that will stand up to moving, banging, and shooting off barricades?

I've taken my .308 to 1018 yards and, although it's not the best round for it, it will get there however good glass is mandatory for trying to get hits on an 18" target in wind. Any decent scope Nikon, Bushnell Elite, SS, etc will get you to 500 or so but many of the lower end scopes don't have enough elevation to get to 600 without an MOA base. Not necessarily a bad idea to get a decent starter scope and then replace it once you have outgrown it but if you want to cry once then take that into consideration. I would also spend almost as much time selecting your base and rings as you do your scope. I've seen lots of people buy $20 rings and waste $200 in ammo because the rings didn't properly hold the scope.

5. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0
    Um.

Anyone wanna point out that a 16" barrel and 1000 yard shots are...well, unlikely, no matter what optics you put on it?

6. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I didn't know the Socom was 16". I've seen video of 20" barrel .308s and .223s hitting 1k so I suppose anything is possible. Of course those were high end bolt guns and hand loaded rounds.

7. Mowerman

Mowerman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not trying to shoot it 1000 yds. But I would like a long range scope that's accurate to 5-600 yds, and see out to 1000. My budget is 10-12 hundred.

8. mongovb

mongovb XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. Zombie Hunter

Zombie Hunter XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1