Sub-Compacts and Trigger Pull Distance

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Facilitator, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Facilitator

Facilitator XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At my local indoor range I shot the Beretta Nano and the PX4 Storm sub-compacts and did NOT like the depth of the trigger pull. Feels like I'm pulling forever. Someone said this was to compensate for the lack of a safety in the sub-compacts; not true. The Glock 26 (no safety) has a pull depth and reset distance much like my XDM-9, and I read that the XDS is similar. Was wondring about other sub-compacts by Ruger, Kahr, S&W, Bersa, etc. Anyone experienced in multiple brands to compare these? :?: I'd like to buy something small but I can't live with that deep trigger pull. Sounds like the wait is 5+ months but I might be holding out for the XDS-9 to hit the market. (Already confirmed from Shot-Show shooters that this will have a sort pull like the other Springfields.) Thinking my next gun will be a single-stack 9. :p

2. sschrick

sschrick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    shortest trigger pull depths are going to be found on 1911's or other SA pistols.

anyway, if you go with anything listed above, most have aftermarket trigger kits that can be installed to change trigger travel

3. Wild Rice

Wild Rice XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    One of the best out of the box triggers is the Walther PPQ, but it is not a small pistol. A good trigger in a subcompact is the S&W M&P Shield which has a medium length pull, crisp release, controllable grip, and short distinct reset. The trigger weight is a little heavy, but this is for safety.

4. kalford

kalford XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That PX4 design is traditional double action. Sounds like that trigger configuration is not your cup of tea. If you like the xdm then you should be looking at striker fired designs. Avoid the keltecs and rugers as they are double action only. Kahr is striker fired but uses a dao pull.

If your ok with a safety, look at the sig 238, 938 or Colt mustangs as they are single action.

If you cant wait for the xds9, the walther pps may be worth checking out. Also look into an M&P shield.

I hope this helps as I believe you were simply handling guns of a different action type than you are used to.

5. Facilitator

Facilitator XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks a lot for this info and it was very helpful. I'd reall like to try a Shield, but can't find guns in my part of the country anyway right now so looks like I'll be waiting until the mayhem lets up, and the XDS9 will probably be out by then. That'll probably be my next buy.

6. masterswimmer

masterswimmer XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Have you checked out the feel of the SA EMP .40 or 9? I can only speak for the .40 as that's the one I've got. Out of the box the trigger pull feels like it's been worked on and customized. It is probably the best feeling and traveling trigger pull I've experienced on a compact size .40. Short and crisp. Doesn't feel like you're pulling the trigger on Saturday and firing on Monday :)

The only con I've got with the EMP .40 is the tightness of the slide. Other than that it shoots true out of the box and 2nd shot recovery is quick and effortless. For a CCW it is small, packs a nice punch, and very comfortable both in the holster and in my hand. I've put approx. 450 rnds through it and I'm enjoying every shot.

Good luck with whichever piece you decide on.

Russ

7. OldManJoe

OldManJoe XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a not so proud owner of the Beretta NANO, and I have to say that the above comments absolutely mirror my experience. The double action design of the NANO has caused me to jerk more than squeeze the trigger, making tight groups on target impossible. That said, the rounds still are grouped wihtin the size of a human torso. I did some reading and there is a lot of favorable commentary on the safety value of this long, stiff trigger pull. Must be aimed at you Glock guys.

I am anxiously waiting for the arrival of my XD9 SC, which I should have bought in the first place. The NANO will probably show up in the classifieds when I get enough posts to put a listing there.

8. markr

markr XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is my humble opinion that any one that carries concealed or otherwise for personal protection that the following is very true,
    Their weapon should not have a trigger with too soft, too short or too light of a trigger pull. Your mind will not be in any frame to discern the nuances of these modified triggers and could ultimately cause early or unanticipated discharge........and litigation!
    Secondly all should know that having modified your persoal carry weapon for a lighter trigger pull or disarming mag safeties such as is done frequently on the browning high power will open you up to further litigation in the civil law suit that will certainly follow one of these incidents.
    Lastly, the ammunition that you carry will end up being of huge importance in the facts that it should be hugely reliable and factory loaded and bought accross the shelf, and used without modification for the above mentioned reasons.