Stuff to put in the SHTF safe?

Discussion in 'SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness' started by kirkorner, Oct 17, 2012.

1. kirkorner

kirkorner XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys, i'm not new to prepping, but i'm definitely not close to being completely prepared. So please be easy on me. :D I have recently acquired a new fireproof safe that my dad picked up at a yard sale. I already have a house safe that has all my important documents in it that I need in case of emergency. My gun safe is already full as well. This new safe I have is not large by any means, but it is large enough to put things in for SHTF scenarios. (16" x 9.5" x 9.5" inside)

So far I have put the following in it:

120 rounds of 7.62x39
    200 rounds of 9mm
    120 rounds of 5.56
    100 rounds of .45ACP
    4 AR-15 mags (loaded)
    4 AK-47 mags (loaded)
    XD9 with 3 mags
    2 1911 mags (loaded)

What else do you guys think I should put in there (or change) for SHTF?
    *note* I am only doing this in case (heaven forbid) my house would burn down

2. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    (I think you need a bigger box)

food?

a way to treat water?

a way to make fire?

a pot or skillet to cook in?

clean dry socks and undies?

a jacket?

a tarp?

paracord?

boots?

a hat of some type?

bottles for water?

3. ///MCoupé

///MCoupé XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    holy smokes... multiply your ammo supply by at least 10x to start with.

I also have cash, coin, gold/silver, compass, gems, mace, knives, taser..

4. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I don't see the point of having loaded mags and loose ammo in a SHTF cache that doesn't include the matching gun. Maybe get a separate ammo vault next to you gun safe if that is you concern and it wont fit in the gun safe. Stick with your XD and mags. Stuff I'd think about adding; a USB drive with copies of all important documents, cash, a good knife and or multi-tool, hatchet, rope, copies of birth certificates, a change of underwear and socks, a flashlight or 2, lighter, some energy bars, and spare keys for vehicles.

5. speedrrracer

speedrrracer XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It seems to me nothing you mentioned focuses on the problem you claim to be interested in solving.

You want to prep for a house fire. That's very smart, it's the most likely SHTF-event in the USA by a gigantic, ridiculous margin. First, watch this video:

[ame=http://youtu.be/t_eHBqVYa8A]Christmas Tree Fire - YouTube[/ame]

Now tell me, what can you grab (in the 30 seconds or so before the smoke inhalation kills you) that you would like to have next to you on the sidewalk (which is where you'll be standing after your house burns down)?

Maybe your family? Pets? Clothing? Wallet? Some water to wash the carbon soot off your face?

Notice how thousands of rounds of ammo is not on that list.

If the fire dept rocks up to your burning house and you are standing in front of the house looking like John Rambo, they are going to call SWAT on your ass, and watch your house burn to the ground.

First is protect yourself and your family. Do they all know where to go and what to do when the CO2 alarms go off?
    Do they all have BOB's for their clothing, meds, weather protection, toiletries, food, water? No, none of them needs an AK-47, either.

Then protect your assets. Fireproof safes are great, but they're not really fireproof. They're all rated to a certain temp for a certain amount of time before they fail. So, consider offsite backup of all your important stuff. Scan all your important pictures and documents. It will take a long time. Put it all in a folder, or series of folders, each one less than 25 megs.

Encrypt each folder, and then email them to a free GMail account. Now Google has a backup of all your important crap, but it's encrypted, so no one will screw with it.

When some important doc changes, update that particular folder only, re-encrypt, archive the old email with the old version, and email yourself the new one. Easy and free.

There are of course pay services which do this, too, but the important thing is that now, even if your fireproof safe failed, you're still covered, because you have copies of all the important stuff.

This is important because if your wife has to get rushed to the hospital for smoke inhalation, you aren't bringing your safe with you -- it's buried underneath tons of smoking debris -- IF it even survived. The fire dept isn't going to let you near it for a long time. The hospital will have a computer with internet access, so you can download the folder, decrypt, and tell them, "Yes, my insurance number is 1234 and my wife is allergic to penicillin. Here's her complete medical history."

And when the fire insurance agent meets you at your hotel the next day (the fire dept still won't let you go digging for your safe) and says, "Well, can you prove you had a new 30,000 roof installed?" You download the folder with pictures of all your property, and say, "Yes, have a look" and then you download the folder with scanned copies of the receipts, and say, "Oh, it was more like 31,000 dollars, here's the proof."

I would totally recommend sticking a carry gun in your bob as long as you're legal, but surviving a house fire has nothing to do with firepower, and that's what you claim this thread is about...

6. BillyBlanco

BillyBlanco XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Silver coins and liquor for trade, 1000's of rounds of ammo, and lots of guns. I try to keep consistent with my caliber for this reason (.223, 9, 40, and 300 short mag for hunting). I also want to get a good samurai sword. We have lots of rivers and game where I live. It's just cold so I would need my axe and lots of wood. I would need to trade for staples like beans or potatoes. Some may call me paranoid, but I'd rather be a little prepared than not. Plus, guns and ammo hold their value well

7. dhunley1

dhunley1 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    +100

8. Krull

Krull XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it were me, it would:

choose between 5.56 or 7.62 (not both)
    focus on more rifle and less pistol ammo

keep in mind that food, water, shelter can be more important than firearms.

9. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

see I need 7.62 and 5.56 as well as .40 cal and 9mm because I have the shttiest of luck.

if I only have an AK I will find a warehouse full of magpul mags already filled with pretty green tip ammo. if I only have a .40 cal I will find a school bus full of 9mm hollow points.

so I figure if I cover the most popular ammos that will give me the best chance of never finding ANY ammo. :|

10. ///MCoupé

///MCoupé XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ordered two more knives today and a collapsible Schrade 24" baton for the SHTF storage.

11. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 1
    Get a .22lr. A 10/22 is a great little gun.

12. mmullen1488

mmullen1488 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

How long do you leave those mags loaded? Do you periodically strengthen the springs in them?

13. speedrrracer

speedrrracer XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's a commonly held myth, esp in the gun world.

Springs do not wear because they are compressed. It's the acts of compressing / decompressing a spring that causes wear.

They are metal, so they can rust / corrode and suffer damage that way, too.

14. mmullen1488

mmullen1488 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Ah, on deployments we would do it so often before going out.

15. XDPoint4Ohh

XDPoint4Ohh XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Toilet paper. God knows that stuff can be a godsend in a SHTF situation. Also a guttin knife, and maybe a Hustler for lonely nights. And oh yea more ammo! Can never have too much of that stuff....