Storing ammo loose

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by XD-TJ, Nov 8, 2006.

1. XD-TJ

XD-TJ XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This might be a silly question, but I thought I'd ask anyway:

Any issues with storing 9mm ammo loose in an ammo can? (Rem. UMC 115 gr. FMJ, to be exact)

I did a search for "loose ammo," "storing ammunition," etc, and didn't turn up much, so forgive me if it has been beaten to death before. I'm asking because I feel like there's a lot of wasted space in the boxes that I currently have stacked up in the basement, and figure it would be easier to store and easier to use if I could just grab rounds as necessary, instead of grabbing a box, opening it, pulling out the keeper tray, then grabbing a round.

Thoughts? Thanks

tj

2. XDAndMe

XDAndMe XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    No problems that I know of. Milsurp comes this way, as does Winchester White-Box. As always, inspect your ammo before using it. If you see any noticeable defects or bullets that are set-back too far in the casing, discard them.

3. oden131

oden131 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes it makes it a bugger to estimate rounds fired cause your just grabbing handfuls and loading, if they are boxed you can keep better track

4. rwilson452

rwilson452 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I load my own and usually start storeing the stuff up during the winter. I store my pistol ammo in 3 lb coffee cans.

5. jonny4523

jonny4523 XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    We (our school's gun club) reload a majority of our ammo supply, all of which is loosely thrown into the large, green ammo cans. We have cardboard taped to the inside of the lid with the number of rounds in the can. If you want to shoot a hundred rounds, then you just update the amount on the cardboard. You should be perfectly fine.

6. XD-TJ

XD-TJ XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point, but I was planning on keeping a logbook of rounds fired anyway. I would just have to adjust my record keeping a little bit, and make sure I know how much is in each mass lot (currently just one box of 1000 rds). That way I'll know if my wife is plundering my ammo stash. :)

7. XDAndMe

XDAndMe XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Since when is that a problem? :p

8. XD-TJ

XD-TJ XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thankfully, it isn't (yet!). This is actually our first firearm, so we're both still learning the ropes. I was only kidding around about the ammo-pilfering. To be honest, she's still a little bit wary of the thing, which I think is relatively healthy. But (to stem the inevitable "take a safety class.." responses), we're signing her up for an introductory pistol course, I had 2 weeks of range training in school (Beretta M9 in those days), and we plan on spending quite a bit of time at the range over the next few weeks.

9. Deacon Dave

Deacon Dave XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Georgia Arms sells pistol ammo loose in an ammo can. Makes it real handy when you need to load magazines in a hurry.

10. Bidah

Bidah XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I put them loose in 30 cal cans. I get about 900 rounds or so of 9mm and 600 or so of 45 in there. Knowing that, I can roughly guess how many rounds I have in each can. I know that after 4 cans it is getting time for new springs.. :) I also keep a log of the rounds fired for each weapon..

I used to keep them all counted in boxes loose (100/box), or in those plastic containers, in ammo cans. It became a pain, so I stopped doing it. If a can starts getting low, I just bring an additional can.. :)

-Bidah

11. The Knight Of Light

The Knight Of Light XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I store my reloads like that. No problems here.