Springfield XD Forum banner

stoeger p350 vs mossberg 500

12K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  silvabaQ 
#1 ·
Out of these 2 shot guns which is the better one to get and why. The Mossberg has the pistol grip and the Stoeger has the full stock with pistol/stability grip. Moss is 299.00 and the Stoeger is 320.00.

#2 ·
you want a full stock.

Pistol grips are useless.

if you're worried about moving around in confined spaces, tuck the buttstock under your shoulder and use your body to aim until you can get it back on your shoulder in a proper firing stance.

Save the pistol grips for the ninjas that don't know how bad a sprained wrist sucks.

I have a 500 and love it.

BUT BUT BUT DO NOT USE A PISTOL GRIP STOCK OF ANY KIND. It puts the safety out of reach to quickly manipulate.

#3 ·
Ok then say if the Moss had a full stock, then what would be the better of the two shotguns......to put a full stock on the moss would add 80.00 to the price of it.....is it worth it?

#6 ·
Yes the primary is going to be for defense, that is until we move then I will be using if for hunting as well.

#7 ·
i have a 500 and LOVE it. i will at some point get a collapsible stock for it. currently the stock stock is too long for my wife's short arms. i would agree with everyone else to not use a pistol grip. if it is a stock/pistol grip combo then it's a different story.

also, where are you looking? i picked up a 500 combo at big 5 for $300. it came with the 18.5" HD barrel and a 28" bird barrel. it was like getting a free barrel!

#8 ·
I am looking at the local gun stores in my area. I am guessing the the Stoeger is crap from the responces I am getting?

#9 ·
Can't go wrong with a Moss. Tons of accessories for it and great deals like the combo mentioned above here. However I do have a Stoeger 2000, which is the semi auto. It's only around $475 and I've had zero problems with it. So I can't say anything negative about the Stoeger brand in general. Other than not as many accessory options. :)

#10 ·
I've got the 500 and I love it. Mine was the field/home combo so it came with a full wood stock and a 28" barrel with changeable chokes and a 18.5" barrel and a pistol grip for home defense. I had the pistol grip on it for a while but eventually went to keeping the stock on it full time. Even at 10ft it is difficult to aim where you want. Alot of people say you don't aim a shotgun, you point it. At 10ft 9 00 buck pellets spread out about 2 inches. You still need to aim it. Forget about the pistol grip and get a stock.

If you want, pick up a cheap pistol grip and try it out. Its a novelty thing, that's about it. I still put the pistol grip on mine occasionally just for fun.

#12 ·
Thank you Dev for the info. That might be a better option and then I can get a better stock for it and a light for the same price I would pay for the Moss 500.

#14 ·
I personally own the stoeger p350 pump and a mossburg 500 and also a remington 870 . All 3 of the weapons are good choices it really comes down to what your wanting to do with the shotgun . The moss 500 and rem 870 have all the ( cool )godgets you want . The stoeger really dont have godgets out for them . Ie mounts stocks ect. Might i also suggest a hawk model 98 12 ga very good shotgun i picked one up for around $200 it stays in my river boat and is nasty river mud dirt worm dirt ect never had a fail to fire never had a failure to feed .

The comment about the pistol grip kinda childish , My p350 has the pistol grip and there no problems shooting 3 1/2 buck shot with the weapon never had sprained wrist or broke wrist . In fact my gf is 5' 8 120 lbs she shoots the shotgun just find with 3.5 inch buck shot . I personally like the way the p350 shoots and handles better than say the 870 or 500 . Once again this is my opinion . My honest opinion there all great guns pick the one that fits you the best thats in your price range . lets be realistic here assuming there all 12 ga it does not matter what brand it is .The round coming out of the weapon at the same volicity and going to hit with the same kenetic energy from any of the shotguns . at most your going to be shooting 15 yrds in your house so length will not be a issuse as far as ballistics or pattern , the only time length is going to matter is if you have to leave your room to go get your family members in another part of the house . If you dont have to move from your room length not going to matter .

#15 ·
I personally own the stoeger p350 pump and a mossburg 500 and also a remington 870 . All 3 of the weapons are good choices it really comes down to what your wanting to do with the shotgun . The moss 500 and rem 870 have all the ( cool )godgets you want . The stoeger really dont have godgets out for them . Ie mounts stocks ect. Might i also suggest a hawk model 98 12 ga very good shotgun i picked one up for around $200 it stays in my river boat and is nasty river mud dirt worm dirt ect never had a fail to fire never had a failure to feed .

The comment about the pistol grip kinda childish , My p350 has the pistol grip and there no problems shooting 3 1/2 buck shot with the weapon never had sprained wrist or broke wrist . In fact my gf is 5' 8 120 lbs she shoots the shotgun just find with 3.5 inch buck shot . I personally like the way the p350 shoots and handles better than say the 870 or 500 . Once again this is my opinion . My honest opinion there all great guns pick the one that fits you the best thats in your price range . lets be realistic here assuming there all 12 ga it does not matter what brand it is .The round coming out of the weapon at the same volicity and going to hit with the same kenetic energy from any of the shotguns . at most your going to be shooting 15 yrds in your house so length will not be a issuse as far as ballistics or pattern , the only time length is going to matter is if you have to leave your room to go get your family members in another part of the house . If you dont have to move from your room length not going to matter .

Yep, I agree with getting the one you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.