Starting My Build

Discussion in 'Garand Talk' started by Tank44, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Tank44

Tank44 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got word from CMP that they are shipping my order of a barreled receiver and complete bolt (SA). :D I already have an M1 from CMP (Manufactured August 1943) so this will be my second. I currently have a stock with all metal and quite a few small parts. I have been researching several locations for parts (Fulton, Orion, Pack Rats, NorthRidge, and Garand Guy) and have been mixing and matching to finish out the build. Anyone have other sources for good parts?

I will keep this thread posted with pictures as I make the build.

2. Tank44

Tank44 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I received the Barrel and receiver today. Wow, I am impressed. I think CMP under rates their stuff. The receiver has no pits and the serial number and nomenclature are easy to read. The serial number shows it is from July 1943. The barrel rated Muzzle - 1, Throat - 2.

I attached the hand-guards and the lower band pin was a bear to get in. However, a little patience with a punch and mallet solved the problem. I have attached a picture showing my Sept 1943 Garand and the build below it. The next stage is to work on the gas cylinder and sights.

Attached Files:

3. Tank44

Tank44 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I got a shipment of small parts in so I can continue the build.

First, I attached the Front Sight to the Gas Cylinder. The Front Sight slides on and is then secured with a screw. Since the parts are newly parkerized it doesn't want to fit at first. A little elbow grease accomplished the goal. The Gas Cylinder is then slid over the barrel and made flush with the Front Hand Guard. Again, it is a tight fit. The whole unit is secured with the Gas Cylinder Lock and the Gas Cylinder Lock Screw.

I then turned my attention to the Clip Latch. This is probably the easiest part of the rifle to assemble as you just insert the clip latch and spring and secure it with a pin.

The next step was the Feed / Action Assembly. This really brought back memories of 1963 when as we were training with our issued M1s, we were required to disassemble and reassemble the Feed / Action Assemble blindfolded. This went really fast. The parts were the Op Rod Catch, the Bullet Guide, the Follower & Slide, the Follower Arm, and the Follower Rod and Spring.

Since I do not have the new Op Rod yet, I used an Op Rod from my other Garand to pull everything together and lube and test the action.

(Continued)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  4. Tank44

Tank44 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I then assembled the lower stock to the unit and you can see the results in the pictures. All I have left is a new Op Rod, the Rear Sight Assembly, and the Trigger Group. Then, it will be off to the range for some "ping" fun!

I know I could have just bought a complete M1 from the CMP, but I wanted to go through the entire experience of building an M1. I highly recommend this experience for all Garand enthusiasts. You really learn just about all there is to know about this incredible and historic weapon.

To be continued........

Attached Files:

5. Tank44

Tank44 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just ordered the final parts for the build. Today they shipped:

Op rod
    Complete rear sight assembly
    Complete trigger group

I also placed an order with CMP for a Special Grade M1 in .308. Pictures will follow. :grin:

6. MrStarofDavid

MrStarofDavid XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What a beauty. Hope to own one, one day. Growing up and watching war movies I always loved to see this rifle. The final shot and PING! got me everytime. I loved the technological gap between this rifle, the Mosin Nagant, and the K98. To me it showed where we stood as a nation. at least thats how I saw it.

7. Tank44

Tank44 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have never lost my love for the Garand. If I could only have one firearm, it would be a Garand. You definitely need to get one.

8. smokey

smokey XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Several years ago I purchased a Field Grade M1 from the CMP. When it arrived I discovered it had a 1944 receiver with it's original 1944 barrel so I decided to make the rifle as period correct as I could. Purchased a correct stock, uncut op rod, lock bar sight and all parts now have the correct drawing number for a Nov 1944 Springfield M1. It probably wasn't worth it cost-wise as some of the parts (uncut op rod and lockbar sight in particular) weren't cheap but the experience and the knowledge I gained from doing the project were awesome. Congratulations on your build!

9. rharp

rharp XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I would love to own one of these one day, too. I've always liked these firearms

10. mhen

mhen XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I keep eying these on CMP as well. Something always sucks up the money I planned on using for one though. I need to get in on it before they run out of these rifles.
    I have only ever held one once, my uncle owns one, and I was surprised by how heavy this rifle is!
    Its always posts like this that reignite my fire for getting one. Beautiful rifles you have there!

11. Tank44

Tank44 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I should finish the build in the next couple of days........

12. jdm033056

jdm033056 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have never shot one, but it is one rifle I would love to. She's a beauty.

13. Tank44

Tank44 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The final group of parts arrived today so I have spent the last few hours completing my build. Picture 1 shows the assembled Trigger Group and the parts for the Rear Sight.

I cleaned and greased the Trigger Group and the Rear Sight. Then I assembled the Trigger Group and installed. The trigger is really nice, even nicer than my other .30-06 Garand. The Rear Sight went together quickly and the build was complete except for some accessories. Pictures 2 and 3 show the completed build. Picture 4 shows both of my .30-06 rifles.

I know I could have bought a complete rifle from CMP and spent less money, but I would not trade this experience for a cheaper M1. The experience and learning all of the details of the M1 was a blast and there is something about being able to say that I assembled this rifle from parts. I now feel I have a good group of M1s with my two Springfields in .30-06 and another in .308.

Attached Files:

14. thewarriorhunter

thewarriorhunter XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    very nice, what was the final cost, if you don't mind? i really want a garand.

15. Tank44

Tank44 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had some of the parts and a new CMP stock with all metal when I started the build. Here's the list of my other buys:

CMP Barreled receiver with bolt (barrel and receiver were head spaced, muzzle and throat were 1 and 1) - $350.00
    Op Rod Catch - $22.00
    Spring package with Clip latch and clip latch spring - 54.90
    Follower Arm pin, follower rod, front sight and screw, cylinder lock - $55.75
    Old style gas cylinder plug - 12.95
    Trigger group - $95.00
    Op Rod - $120.00
    Rear Sight USGI - $94.00

That is a total of $804.60. With the parts I already had, I estimate the total cost about $1050 - $1100. You can get a special grade M1 from CMP for $950 or a Service Grade for $625. My purpose was not to save money, but to go through the whole build process. I would rate my build at equivalent to a special grade.