Springfield XDs range report - vison problem!

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports' started by smokiniron, Sep 20, 2012.

1. smokiniron

smokiniron XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Soooooo... I got my XDs a few weeks ago, but only got to the range last Tuesday for a 120-round trial.
    I experienced NO FTF, no stovepipes, no failure to return to battery, no failure to lock on an empty mag... nuthin'. The gun worked flawlessly.
    The empties flew everywhere though. The XDs really launches them! Most went FORWARD off the wall of the range booth, so I left a fai amount of reloading stock on the range floor! Sniff...

Is there a tool or fixture to manage the flight of the ejecta from a semi-auto to make brass recovery easier?

In general, the XDs is a barrel 'o' whuppin' in a very pocket-able vehicle. I guess if I can't hit a BG in 5 shots or less I mas as well run away.
    The gun handles well - in spite of my somewhat larger and meatier hands. I can only get 2 fingers on the grip. But, if I paid attention to what I was doing, the groups were acceptable for me and my current skill level. I shot at 7 and 15 yards, and got what I hoped for the first time out.

Now to the vision problem - I need some advice.

I'm left-eye dominant.
    I shoot left-handed.
    I got cataract surgery on both eyes a month or two back. Both lenses are torics, so vision is very clear with no perceptible distortion.
    My left eye is corrected for distance, my right eye for reading.
    I'll occasionally wear reading glasses to augment my left eye if my right eye can't handle some finer print.

So, to shooting.
    When shooting my XDs or my XD45C, the sights are really fuzzy as you might expect with left-eye dominant southpaw.

I'm shooting with both eyes open.

So, for a mag or two, I shot left-handed, but moved my stance and head to aim with my RIGHT eye. The sights were sharp and easily aligned.
    Of interest, the groups were distinctly TIGHTER with the sights in focus and the target more fuzzy. It may not make a huge difference, but it was noticeable.

The question.
    I believe my opthamologist can offer some corrective tools like bifocals, contacts (which I've worn for years anyway), etc.

But, what do shooters do to handle the oddities of cataract surgery, clear sight pictures and clear sights?

2. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Guess what? Thanks to your current eyeball setup, you're now cross-eye dominant. Do it the way you just did and stick with it. Congrats on the new pistol, sounds like a hoot. :)