Springer Trigger job = Great

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by Hotrod1, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hotrod1

Hotrod1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just finished putting the Springer Precision Trigger kit in my XD-45 Tactical. It was easy, and only took a little filing on the front corner of the trigger bar to fit. I didn't end up taking anything off the rear portion. The parts functioned just right, as shown in the videos. The videos helped a lot. Smooth trigger, almost no overtravel.

I've also got an extended mag release, metal cocked indicator pin and a solid guide rod in the gun. I'm anxious to get to the range this weekend and practice for the next USPSA match at the local club.

2. Spydered

Spydered XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Springer makes great products and does great service...Been meaning to send something to them to get worked on but haven't got the chance...Congrats on the new upgrades, let us know how she shoots...Be safe...:)

3. shaner

shaner XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    time for a range trip!!!!! and report

4. Hotrod1

Hotrod1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tomorrow morning will be my first USPSA club match of the year. I'll report how it goes. I use this pistol exclusively for action pistol and multi-gun matches.

I'm still shooting factory ammo. I have components and brass to start working up lighter match loads and see if a lighter recoil spring is needed.

5. Hotrod1

Hotrod1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    results report: We had a local match today. It was between 30 and 32 degrees. First stage didn't go so well. Multiple light strikes, fail to fire. I used a can of spray cleaner to hose out the striker channel. It worked fine the rest of the match (4 more stages). I must have gotten some oil in the striker area. Not good on a cold day.

While fitting the trigger kit, I stopped just as I got the striker to drop on it's own. Watch the videos that Springer Precision has on their web site to see what I mean.

During the fitting and dry firing practice this past week, it sometimes seemed that it might not be breaking as clean as it should. I went back in and removed a little more from the trigger bar to try to get a better, clean break on the striker. It is more positive in the break and didn't create any overtravel. I think I was really close the first time and it just needed a little more.

With the cold weather, and maybe a little drag on the break from the sear, and a little oil in the striker channel, I think it lead to some light primer strikes.

Cleaning it out helped. My cold weather prep will now only be a drop of oil on the slide to the steel rails and that is it.

BTW, the spray cleaner I used is the Hornady Cleaner and Dry lube. It fits in a range bag and has now helped me and others out when a gun or magazine is behaving badly.

I had put 50 rounds through the pistol on Saturday without any trouble. The gun wasn't in the cold long enough to suffer the chills. Next time I'll leave it locked in the (unheated) work shop overnight and test it cold.

Overall I'm happy with the results and look forward to more range time. The Trigger is better, shorter, lighter, faster reset and no overtravel.

6. Hitekrednek

Hitekrednek XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does that cause it to eliminate the trigger safety? when I get my xd 45c for ccw should I do this trigger mod to mine.

7. sultan62

sultan62 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The trigger kit does not replace the trigger. It replaces the trigger spring, trigger bar, sear spring, and sear.

8. Hitekrednek

Hitekrednek XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cool so it would be just as safe just has a shorter, lighter trigger pull?

9. JPR1959

JPR1959 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It can cause the trigger safety to be non-functional. According to Springer, you either had to sand down the pad on the trigger where it contacts the locking block, or remove material from the rear of the reset tab (that will give you more pre-travel).