So you're hitting low and left..

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by MarkN05, Jan 1, 2010.

1. MarkN05

MarkN05 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    While I was messing around with snap caps I kept experimenting to see how I could pull low/left and I believe it's due to lack of forward palm support and too much finger pressure. In all of my shooting, with every gun I've shot, I've practiced the following method and it's always worked for me.

Try gripping the pistol by the front of the grip, with only your three lower fingers and knuckle part of the palm, then wrap your hand on around and depress the grip safety on the back of the grip and position your thumb forward. If I don't press lightly on the thumb depression I tend to hit right slightly.

Make sure the web of your hand is firmly pressed into the grip safety so that it will not move under recoil, this will reduce felt recoil slightly as there's less slack. Make sure the heel of your hand is firm too so that you don't pull downward with your lower three fingers and web of your hand.

This may seem slow, but it doesn't have to be so methodical, as long as you get a good grp all the way around, leaving no gaps. From holster, I typically jam my hand into the grip safety, lock my three fingers into position, pull, position thumb, and then place my finger on the trigger once I'm on target.

A gap in the forward area of the palm will make you turn the pistol slightly to the left if you're a righty, and slightly right if you're a lefty. A good grip from all directions with equal pressure is necessary, as a slight imbalance will cause it to move off center.

Another way about fixing this is to only grip by the front and back of the grip, putting no palm pressure or finger pressure on the grip. I find this difficult and uncontrollable, but a few shooters in my area, particularly 1911 shooters, have had great success.

See if either of these grips work for you.

2. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4
    Many a new right handed XD owner shoot low and left at first, myself included.
    It is just a matter of getting used to the pistol..
    I'm sure your tips will help someone though..;)

3. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    For me, the L&L curse was due to the extra long and mushy trigger. It was squeeze, squeeze, squeeze, squeeze, squeeze,WTF? PULL - bang!

I'm now hoping that the PRP trigger will make it better.

4. josho66

josho66 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I suffer from the low and left myself. I appreciate others posting things like this so I can practice different things. I have improved things quite a bit, I just need to work on things at about 25 yards and then I will be happy.

5. Beachbumcook

Beachbumcook XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Low and left (for a right hander) is common with this pistol.

My problem is that I was using the "tip" of my finger and as I was squeezing the trigger... I was pushing it left.

Place my finger on the trigger more and practice squeezing straight back.... and all is well.

Also, check one's owner's manual... the guy in the shooting lane next to me stated that the XDM is sighted for 25 yards and to shoot/aim for the 6 o'clock aim position (not directly on bullseye).

After 600 rounds shot through my new XDM 40.... (since the first of December) they call me "dead-eye"!!!

Great firearm... and is with any new firearm... practice makes perfect.

6. jstringer5

jstringer5 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    The XDM is point of aim at 25 yrds not low 6 o'clock. The regular XDs are 6 o'clock.

8. Beachbumcook

Beachbumcook XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are right and I stand corrected.

I cleaned my firearm this afternoon and checked the manual to double-check what I had posted... and low and behold... it is "point of aim" and not 6-o'clock.

Thanks for catching my mistake in my post above.

9. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    No biggie. Hopefully everyone is reading thier manual, thouroughly.

10. dbxdm9

dbxdm9 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Solved my low-and-left problem by re-positioning my finger on the trigger. Instead of using just the tip of my finger, I use the crease between finger pads. Also helps to control the gun down during recoil.

Simple to check - just a few dry fires and watch your sights. Mine was clearly moving left when I pulled the trigger with just the tip of my finger.

With my Buckmark .22 though - it is just my fingertip. Obviously a combination of grip, trigger, etc.

11. katokahn99

katokahn99 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 1
    Varries from shooter to shooter. The simple solution is to find the hold and trigger control combination that imparts no undue influence on the weapon, then, dry-fire and live-fire the heck out of it until it becomes second nature.

I think that those shooters that often use different platforms are at more of a disadvantage than those who commit to practicing with a single frame. In fact, I find that when I go between my XDc Tactical 45 and my XDm 40, my shots start to drift low and left agian with the latter; however, when I work exclusively with my XDm, my shots are more consistantly POA.