So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs RRA update

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by XD.45 Dude, Aug 20, 2010.

1. XD.45 Dude

XD.45 Dude XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok I have a RRA AR-15 Operator 2... After reading the So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs thread I thought I throw some updates at this thread as far as RRA goes.. The thread linked above (p.4) the poster stated that the RRA has no M4 feed ramp WELL IT NOW DOES! He also stated that the Gas Key is not properly staked WELL IT IS NOW. Anyways I was just looking to update the RRA AR-15 status.. I will post pics soon!:cool:

2. XD.45 Dude

XD.45 Dude XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK how do I post pics on this site?????????:shock:

3. Ed Ely

Ed Ely Super Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Check out Tom Swift's thread
    in the stickies.

Ed

4. WKshooter

WKshooter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For what it's worth, I just checked my RRA Operator Elite (purchased a few months ago) and it lacks a "true" M4 cut. The staking on the gas key appears to have been done, but when looked at under the magnifying glass looks like none of the indents is in contact with the caps on the bolts. Also the castle nut is not staked.

But despite the flaws (true cult M4 owners) the rifle does what I ask of it. It shoots...there is plenty of opinion out there that a rifle with such obvious flaws 'is and would not' be combat ready. Well, I guess I'm not shooting combat or expect to in the near future.. would I trust the rifle to come to my aid.. of course. ;)

I read all the different forums and the comparison of rifle platforms is like trying to compare 1911's or trying to decide on the best defensive pistol. Truth be told, you "run with what you got". I would be more wary of a person who has a beat-up, no-name A-1 type AR with shiny brass stains on the deflector than facing down a person with a spotless LE6920 with all the "right" gear. Reading all the different opinions can just drive a person crazy. :oops:

I think no matter what you buy, you will enjoy the heck out of it. Hell I had an old Olympic battle rifle since 1990 and never knew it was a subpar rifle until I started reading the different forums. I just know at 100 yards with a handle mounted scope, I was shooting 1/2" groups. :lol:

5. nothing

nothing XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess after 2 Iraq deployments and a lot of experience in military force modernization I can honestly say I have no desire to worship the milspec mantra.

I've seen everything you can imagine fall apart, break or wear out. Some items are better than others. I think the colt M4's are great rifles, but I could care less if my feed ramp is a true M4 or if my gas key is "properly staked". I never feared my chromemoly barrel rusting out because it wasn't chrome lined.

My RRA 20" A3 and DPMS AP4 have been flawless in performance. I'll worry if I ever have to give it to joe and pray he doesn't run over it with a mine roller or not clean it after he falls in a canal.

I admit the BCM's and Colts are nice, but if you have a set budget and you don't plan on invading Iraq I'd say you are just fine going with the sub-par bushmaster, RRA and DPMS rifles of the world.

6. TexasScout

TexasScout XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ditto, my RRA LAR-15 has been flawless.

7. WKshooter

WKshooter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I couldn't agree with you more, very well put and thank you for your service...

8. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    The "improperly staked" gas key blather is just something for the dilettantes to post about, making themselves seem to be more knowledgeable than they really are! :cool: There's nothing wrong with RRA. If I bought one that was not for target/varmint use, I'd opt for the chrome-lined barrel.

Using the words "LaRue and/or "Noveske" in a post doesn't really mean that the one doing the posting is any smarter/more knowledgeable than anybody else on the forum. :rolleyes:

9. jmac603

jmac603 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great post!