So I want to open a shooting range.

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Furf, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Furf

Furf XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That was very open. Here is what I would like to know is where or who do I talk to to start this. I have already gone to the codes office in the town to get more info from them.

- Licensing
    - Training

those are my two main concerns.

I have spoken with the local shops to see where they shoot and the overall result of where people shoot is.... NO WHERE. nobody has anywhere to shoot the closest range around here are all private.

But the 3 shops I went to all sold over 20 handguns this past month. Most of them they said to first time shooters. That is say about 40 handguns in the hands of non shooters. This worries me.

I have also spoken with a few of the owners of the stores and they are willing to back me on this project of mine.

But where do I go to actually figure out what the requirements to build and run a indoor range.

I am obviously not going to be the one instructing or anything like that. Just help getting the building and the range up and running. Any input or help would be nice.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Check out the NRA web site.

3. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Better check out insurance costs. It's the first thing you should check on, and budget for. For a commercial shooting range, liability might be pretty pricey.

4. mtcraigco

mtcraigco Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    Depending on your state, EPA guidelines might be very stringent as well which = expensive.

Insurance and ventilation to meet safety issues may be your biggest expenses.

However, I feel that there is ALOT of potential in public ranges right now, especially ones willing to offer basic safety and operational classes to folks who are new.

5. NC Dave

NC Dave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll echo what has been said. Check out your insurance costs and EPA compliance costs first. They are going to be far more expensive than you think they are going to be.

So many ranges are private due to the insurance cost of having a public range.

6. Furf

Furf XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So upon further research. I have come to the conclusion that there is no need for 2 ranges in the same town. I talked with the Zoning guy again today and he told me that if I waited 6 months I would not have to build my own range.

There is a range being built in a old self storage building less then 10 minutes from my house. So all is well for me now.. So disregard this thread now to find out who is going to open in and get a job there.

7. sc9

sc9 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    +1
    it is the biggest part. i have looked into this same thing.

8. katokahn99

katokahn99 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 1
    On top of all that, the lead traps that you would need can be extremely expensive to maintain.

9. RichJ

RichJ XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The only range I have near me is only about 20 minutes away, but it is outdoor at an old strip mine. The facilities seem ok with separate rifle, shotgun, and pistol ranges, but it is private. I know someone who shoots there and he could get me in but there are tons of restrictions, and maintenance fees and dues are expensive.

My range is "the woods" outside of town near a river channel. I'd give anything for an indoor range near me.

10. myweaponspermit.com

myweaponspermit.com XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are a few ranges for sale in Florida. I am a real estate agent (and firearms instructor) so let me know if anyone is looking to buy or open a range from scratch.

11. Milhouse86

Milhouse86 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    This thread is a little old.