Small gun for big hands

Discussion in 'CCW and Open Carry Talk' started by TStick, Mar 12, 2012.

1. TStick

TStick XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been blessed, or maybe cursed, with exceptionally large hands; XXL to XXXL making finding gloves and guns highly problematic.

I am looking for something easy to conceal in warmer months, without the benefit of a coat or jacket for cover. I am fairly thin, 6'2 and 205-210 with a 32 inch waist.

I am also pretty lazy, so I would prefer not to have an IWB setup.

Is there such a thing as a pocketable gun for large hands? I am looking for a larger than average trigger guard, and a long flat grip. I have absolutely no brand loyalty; if it is reliable, I will consider it. Caliber doesn't really matter either, as long as it is reasonable.

Any suggestions?

2. RayMich

RayMich XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Best thing would be to go to a reputable and well stocked gun store, preferably one that has a firing range in the premises and "fondle" as many guns as you can until you find one or more that feel good in your hands and with your preferred method for carrying. Then see if you can rent it, or something similar, and try it out at the firing range to see if it suits you. I would recommend firing 30 to 50 rounds to get a good feel of how the gun will work for you during range practice and during training classes.

Many people with your body type prefer AIWB (Appendix carry Inside the Waist Band), so this might be something to consider.
    ARCHANGEL APPENDIX CARRY AIWB (Appendix Inside the Waist Band)

You can wear a loose fitting un-tucked shirt or t-shirt to conceal it and the gun is easily accessible with either hand.

Unless you wear really baggy pants with large pockets, you are going to be limited to smaller guns if you want to pocket carry.

Good luck in your quest.

3. scotty8

scotty8 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How small are you looking for? The XD compacts with the full length mag would be one to look at. I believe Kimber and maybe Springfield make short-barreled 1911s with full size frames. Kahr makes a +1 extended mag for the K9 that might work if you can live with the trigger.

4. Thunder71

Thunder71 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Kahr in a Silent Thunder STX or pocket holster.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

5. Vhyrus

Vhyrus XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am a big guy (38-40 in waist, 6 feet 250 lbs) with short fat fingers, so my opinion may not be worth piss to you, but the xd sc is small enough to go into most front pants pockets (it might print though, especially when seated) but is still wide enough to give you proper grip. You can also throw a hogue grip on it to fill it out more. You might also consider a snubbie 38 or 357.