Sling and Sling Mount options for M&P 15-22

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Scottpants, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Scottpants

Scottpants XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I'm convinced that I need a sling for my Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22. It will primarily be used for plinking/range time and such, and I'm looking at two-point slings. The gun is super light (~5lb), so I'm not too concerned about something with padding, but a wide strap and/or bungee would be nice (not essential).

I've been doing some research here and on other forums/web-sites, and I've narrowed it down to what seem to be the three standout slings that everyone recommends:
    Vickers Combat Application Sling (VCAS) - $50.00
    Viking Tactical (VTAC) - $35 (original) / $40 (wide, padded)
    Irene Adaptive Sling (IAS) - $35

Is it really just apples to apples between them? Honestly, I don't see much of a difference between the VCAS and the VTAC. The IAS though is more unique...

I really like the IAS because it's able to quickly convert from one-point to two-point. But it can't actually be shot in the two-point position because the webbing is too short. (In two-point mode, it does seem a lot more secure to your body though) So you ONLY use two-point for transporting the weapon and all the shooting is done in one-point mode. Should I care though? Which do you guys prefer shooting with, a one-point or two-point sling?

Then as far as attachment, since the M&P 15-22 isn't a normal AR, the receiver and buffer tube is actually one piece, so I can't install a sling plate there. (I didn't get the MOE version which comes with one installed) The IAS comes with a nylon buffer tube sling mount that will work, but they recommend a rigid mount instead... That pretty much makes my argument for the IAS and its one-point capability a moot point, huh?

So I'd really just use a rear stock mount and a front rail sling attachment unless I got creative with a clamp-on single-point mount or something... As far as sling mounts, I figured I'd just get a Magpul RSA for the front, but should I consider some type of swivel instead?

There's a ton of stuff to consider, so any advice would be helpful.

2. Knox8282

Knox8282 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the VCAS on my Rock River. It's a great sling, holds tight to the body, nothing to get caught on anything and so adjustable! Paid 42 for mine at a local shop.

3. arizona98tj

arizona98tj XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I run a VTAC on two of the guns I routinely train with (which is the only time they are slung). I have one on my AR-15 and one on my FNH auto-loader. I got the VTAC for my auto-loader after using the VTAC on my AR-15 for nearly a year. I enjoy the one handed operation of the VTAC for shortening or lengthening the sling.

I also have the M&P15-22 and have it set up for a sling. I use a rail mount on the side of the rail and use the slit in the stock with a small carabiner to secure it. Works great and is easy to remove. (see pic below) In the pic, the 15-22 is slung with an inexpensive web sling I had sitting in the drawer when it was time to take the pic.

I do not like single point slings....they just don't work well for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

[​IMG]

4. Scottpants

Scottpants XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What kind of rail mount are you running? Is it a static one like the Magpul RSA or a QD swivel or what?

5. arizona98tj

arizona98tj XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Got it from GG&G here in Arizona.

[​IMG]

6. Shaggs

Shaggs XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also have an MP15-22 and would love to see any other setups for slings and or glass/sights people are running on them. Can't leave anything well enough alone. I really just wish I could run the 25rd mags but sadly California even makes 22's less fun.

7. eb_311

eb_311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    This can mount to that slot in the stock where ^^ has a carabiner.

Rear mount (QD)
    Impact Weapons Components