Slide didn't lock back on my XDM

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by scottvt98, Oct 7, 2011.

1. scottvt98

scottvt98 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a new XD(M) 9mm with the 4.5" barrel. On my most recent trip to the range I did have one minor issue and I wanted to get some advice from everyone on what the cause might be. At the end of shooting through the second mag the slide failed to lock back after all the rounds had been shot. All the rounds fired fine and I was able to eject the mag and put in a full one and keep shooting. However, I was wondering what could be the cause.

I've only been able to take out to the range twice so far and have put 200 rounds through it. All the rounds have fired fine and I have had no other issues. This is probably minor but I wanted to post it just in case.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. KenW.

KenW. XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Right handed? Most likely your thumb is holding the slide lock down. That's usualy the problem esp. with first-time XD owners. It is way too doubtful that your mag springs or followers are worn out yet.

Just change up your thumb position a little.

3. jcj81

jcj81 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im not even sure why it matters if it does or does not lock back, but a lot of people have issues with it, as already stated likely touching silde release while shooting. For me i dont let it lock back for competition shooting.

4. scottvt98

scottvt98 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's funny that you said that. I'm actually left handed but this happen when my friend was shooting it. I'll have to check if he is right handed.

5. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thumbing.

6. dhunley1

dhunley1 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Why wouldn't it matter? If it's supposed to do it then I would expect it to.

OP: Like others have said it's probably from thumbing the slide stop.

7. KenW.

KenW. XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    OP said he'd a southpaw. What else can it be?

8. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Guess you didn't read the part where the OP said it did it when his friend shot it.

9. KenW.

KenW. XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I interpeted that as "it happened to my right handed friend too". Perhaps I shouldn't read into it. In which case, HE doesn't have a problem; his friend does.

10. GT Jon

GT Jon XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 9
    Typically this is cause by shooter interference with the pistol's controls while shooting. Occam's Razor demands we eliminate this as being the cause before we start going to great lengths to figure out something that may or may not be the cause.

11. scottvt98

scottvt98 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I checked with my friend and he is right handed so he probably had his thumb on the slide release lever. I think I will assume that is the reason unless I see it happen again.

Thanks for all the help!

Scott

12. Smoker03

Smoker03 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My thumb will hit the slide release quite often as I have large hands and long fingers. I dont consider it an issue, I just have to remember I'm not shooting one of my 1911's and adjust my grip accordingly.

13. SigP226

SigP226 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Look this is a very simple problem, one that is bought up WAY to much in these forums, and ultimately is SA fault. It's one of two things either when you are gripping the gun you are depressing the slide release so that it can't catch the slide on the last round fired. Many would argue that this is a result of user error. I disagree 100%. I own many other handguns from other manufacturers springfield simply placed the slide release HORRIBLY. The other option, I'm more convinced this is is your issue, your magazine spring has lost it's strength and no longer fully extends when your magazine is empty which isn't allowing your slide release to fully move up and catch the slide on the last round. This is also SA armory's fault. I love SA, but the more and more I use my XDm the more and more I'm starting to dislike it.

14. XDM9guy

XDM9guy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    jcj81

You state that for competition you don't let the slide lock back? Why could you possibly want to do this? Do you intentionally want to do slow speed reloads? Just the round counting and the occasional trigger press on an empty chamber has to cost you time in a match. I always do my reloads from slide lock and thumb the slide release for my quickest speed reloads.

Craig

15. bogman2121

bogman2121 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had the same problem with my 3.8 compact. Everyone said it was me thumbing it but the problem happened with multiple shooters. SA said the slide was dry so all the friction was causing it to not lock back. May want to check into that and also might want to leave it locked back for awhile to loosen up the spring.

If you can't solve the problem send it back and SA will take care of it for you just make sure to include a note indicating exactly what's wrong as they have poor listening skills.