Skyy Pistols

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by KingArthur, Mar 11, 2010.

1. KingArthur

KingArthur XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0
    I have been to two gunshops, each within 60 miles of each other, and both were pushing small, inexpensive 9mm pistols, made by Skyy. I know absolutely nothing about these pistols. They may as well have fallen from the clear blue "skyy". But, are they worth a darn?

2. Azo

Azo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The company is SCCY Industries now, supposedly the company was built by people who split from Keltec, which I believe could explain the reason the models they offer look similar to the Keltecs.

From what I have heard/read they are slightly heavier and more beefy than the PF9 and has a long trigger pull. The take on them is kind of mixed, I have a buddy that owns one and swears he has about 2000 rounds through it with out a problem but than talking to another friend he shot it at a local range said it was a horrible imitation of the Keltecs.

It seems like a dud to me, in my area they go for about 350 and IMHO I would either save a little more for something more known and reliable or steer towards just getting a keltec.

3. mcbmaz

mcbmaz XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. R Dub

R Dub Super Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    SCCY Industries
    There was a forum for them but it has closed down. They had some issues when they first came out with cracking and trgger problems. I have a black CPX1. Only have about 500 rds down the pipe, but haven't had any problems - yet. Don't shoot it much anymore and don't carry it due to the issues others have had. Sad to say, but every time I take it to the range to shoot, I'm just waiting for it to break. I'll use it for a BUG in a side match, but thats it.

5. So Flo

So Flo XDTalk 20K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +193 / 1
    A buddy of mine bought one for his girlfriend to carry...took it to the range several times and couldn't get through a full mag without some malfunction.

Thankfully she never carried that POS.

6. southern thunder

southern thunder XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    They go for about $280 here. Do a search on the net. There are better options for you.

7. KingArthur

KingArthur XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0
    I don't actually want one. I had one gun store try to push one off on my wife. Another one tried to push one off on a friend of mine. I hated not being able to give an acessment, and I didn't want them to get curious, buy one, and get screwed over either.

8. Rustynuts

Rustynuts XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 15
    First they're ugly as sin! Then the whole nightmare of one of their Execs performing shady deeds online. Sure he's gone now, but the trust is not there. At least I'm pretty sure it was Skyy. Something about anonymous postings at gun forums bashing other's products.

9. dlswerz

dlswerz XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had an SCCY CPX-1. I liked the size and weight, but it had trigger problems, and I'm not talking about the known safety problem. I traded it in for an XD9.