Sighting-In the Aimpoint

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by tazfootball2, Aug 10, 2010.

1. tazfootball2

tazfootball2 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I haven't had any problems with actually making the adjustments to zero the scope, I just wanted to know at what range to sight it in at? Right now I have it sighted in at 25yds, but at 100yds it was impacting really high (about 7in. high). Now I understand why it does this, i'm just wandering if I were to sight it in at 50yrds if it would make it a little more accurate at the 100yd range. I'm kinda wanting to make it an accurate 25yd-200ish yd gun. So at what range should I sight in my Comp M3 Aimpoint optic? Does anyone have any info/research on ballastics for an AR-15? Thanks guys!

2. joshua79109

joshua79109 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    50 yard zero is much better in my opinion.

I used the 25 yard for a long time and as long as you know the drop for different distances it's fine too.

3. Reyalp70

Reyalp70 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A quick google search and you will have plenty to read on the subject. From what I understand, a 50 yard zero is better all around. Here is a google search with a few things to read.[ame="http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=50+yard+BZO&btnG=Google+Search"]50 yard BZO - Google Search [/ame]

Here's another link too http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/76367-50-yard-ibz.html

4. wesw

wesw XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sight it at 100 yards. That's what the military usually does.

5. ForTehNguyen

ForTehNguyen XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    do 50 yard zero, then the max high is only 2-2.5" If you do a 25 yard zero it goes as high as 10" Much more predictible, dont have to worry about hold unders etc.

chart is for a 14.5" barrel but basically the same for 16"
    [​IMG]

6. tazfootball2

tazfootball2 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's exactly the chart I found the other night, just forgot to bookmark it. Thanks a lot man, just what I was looking for! ;)

7. thecolter

thecolter XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    50 yard zero is the way to go. not only is it better for your line of sight in relation to trajectory, the aimpoint is parallax-free at 5o yards.

8. hikeeba

hikeeba XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    tazfootball2, if you haven't done so already, take a look at the zeroing tips on the Aimpoint website: Aimpoint : How to zero your Aimpoint sight

Warning: If you are easily confused and/or have OCD-type tendencies to over-think/over-analyze things way beyond regular human reasoning, do yourself a favor and skip the following paragraph, and go straight to 'After excessively pondering...'.

I have long been a fan of iron sights on rifles. While I am not entirely new to the AR platform, I am new to using optics on the AR. I've recently acquired a red dot optic and have been reading various different methods on how to zero it. I got somewhat wrapped up in the fact that a 1x optic that has a lower 1/3 co-witness with the iron sights has a higher sightline over bore than the irons with the dot centered in the optic. Because the centerline/sightline of an optic with a lower 1/3 co-witness is higher over bore, the ballistics chart that Nguyen posted - assuming the chart applies the the iron sights - would theoretically be slightly off. Basically speaking, the centerline for the optic with a lower 1/3 co-witness is higher over bore than the irons, therefore the bore would need to be pitched upwards ever-so slightly to match the irons 50yd POI/zero. As a result, POI between the Aimpoint/1x optic should in theory be off of the irons POI at 200yds. Not by much, but off nonetheless. In theory.

After excessively pondering all that theoretical crap, I snapped out of the mind-boggling fog I was in and realized that the iron sights and the Aimpoint/Red dot/1x optic with a lower 1/3 co-witness are two completely separate sighting systems on the same weapon, and both should zeroed independently of each other. That's my thinking, and I'm going to stick with it.

Based on the reading I've done, here's how I plan to zero my lower 1/3 co-witness 1x red dot optic:

-Zero the optic to POI at 50 yards.
    -Check zero at 200 yards. POI and POA should be pretty close. Fine tune as needed.
    -Verify zero again at 50 yards, but DO NOT ADJUST. Adjusting the optic at this point will throw the 200yd zero off.
    -Shoot at 100 yards, note where POI is in relation to POA. Again, DO NOT ADJUST the optic.

Other things to consider:
    -Try to use the same type ammo when zeroing.
    -Use the red dot at its lowest visible brightness setting for you when zeroing. It is said this will produce more accurate results.

Sorry for the excessive crippity-crap. I hope it helps you, anyways.