Sight removal and installation

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by TAYLORMADE, Jul 29, 2010.

1. TAYLORMADE

TAYLORMADE XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just got 2 sets of TruGlo TFOs. I have a sight press tool. Here is my question. Does it matter which direction you press the sights out/in? Ejection side to non-ejection side or vice versa? I would not think it would matter, but more trivial things have mattered in the past

2. Dacsoft

Dacsoft XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't believe that it really matters, but I pushed my to the left (non-ejection side) without any issue.

3. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I would check for instructions on the sight mfg site. Most dovetailed base sights are slightly tapered to one side. This facilitates alignment and starting the sight base into the slide. The difference should be measurable with dial calipers or a micrometer. It can be in dovetail width , height, degree of taper or a combination. Or just start fit them by hand, one side should go in further and easier.

4. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I believe you went the wrong direction. You are supposed to go from left to right. If you look on the right side of the sights they are rounded on the corners so you don't gouge the slots, and on the left side square 90 degree angles. If you push the sight to the left you can gouge the slots. Luckily you didn't.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But I read this on the site somewhere and it makes the most logical sense.

5. shadowbuff

shadowbuff XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The front factory sight for my XD is tapered on the right (ejection) side. So when installing you would start from the left side of the slide. The dovetail in front is pretty thin, so it would be easy to break it if you got it started crooked. Removing the front sight might not really matter which way you push - I think the taper helps get it started when you install it. The rear factory sight isn't tapered but all four corners have an edge break so the corners aren't sharp.
    from the trijicon instructions:
    The sights in this package must be installed using the xxx sight blade pusher tool. The reason for this is the dovetail surface on the front blade. This very thin dovetail will bend or break off if any other installation method is attempted.
    It is important to keep downward pressure on the top of the front blade as it is pushed into the dovetail to keep it headed in a horizontal direction.
    It is important that the rear sight blade be used on ONE slide only. Slides vary in dovetail width. To compensate for this the trijicon rear sight blade will compress slightly so that it will fit even the tightest dovetail. This means that it will not fit well on a loose dovetail after it has been installed on a tight dovetail.

6. TAYLORMADE

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the help guys! Had yall not been here I probably would have just neanderthal pressed them in

7. ThinkMud

ThinkMud XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    what tool are you guys using to change sights? I just got a new XD 45 Compact and i want night sights, but I do not want to be with out it to wait on sending it in.

also, another stupid question, how are you guys making sure the new sights are lined up properly? does the tool do that, or do you have to put them on, go shoot and adjust?

I've never changed sights, but I want to learn since I have a few XD's now:)

8. taylor6400

taylor6400 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Mud, i would let a smith do the sights if you dont have a pusher or past experience of an XD. The XD's are notorious for being bears to remove even with a pusher. There are several pushers you can buy out there...maybe in your case with multiple pistols it would be worth it to buy one. But do a search and read some of the stories about removal. I have heard of more than one person ending up having to cut them out witha dremmel.

9. ThinkMud

ThinkMud XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the info, I went ahead and sent it off to James at xd-hs2000.com for him to put it on for me:) should be back by friday! I don't think I want to mess up my sites, that would be very bad. and I saw a tool online, but it was over $500, so this will be cheaper.

10. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone use a hydraulic press to remove/replace sights? I have one in my shop but would need some sort of jig.

11. TAYLORMADE

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have read where a few people have had to cut their sights in half to get them out and I have read that some sight go in/out like butter. I'm going to be using a MGW XD sight press tool. These will be my first sight jobs. I'm a little nervous about it, but I think that I have read enough to be confident in doing it myself. The only way to learn is to NIKE UP and "just do it". Might change my mind halfway through it lol

l

12. centralcoaster

centralcoaster XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't have the tool for removing sights from my xd, but I read where one can remove carefully using a drummel which is what I managed to do. Installed laserlite rear sight myself after removing. Went well. Could not remove using punch and small hammer, far too tight. I could have sent off for about $20 plus shipping to have it done, but opted to try it myself.