Sight in a pistol (Recommended Distance)

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by Combat Tested, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Combat Tested

Combat Tested XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Getting the new Dawson Precision Adjustable sight set and just wondering what is the best distance to sight the new sights in at?

2. JD McDorce

JD McDorce XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It becomes a question of what distances that you shoot at and what you want the sight picture to be at for those distances. For example, one could zero their sights at 25 or 50 yards, but it may not mean much if you do not plan on shooting your pistol at distances greater than 50 feet.

I tend to set POA=POI at 15 yards (45 feet) and monitor the elevation relationship of POA and POI out to 25 yards. While this works for me for the type of shooting that I do, YMMV.

3. pghjim

pghjim XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For windage I use 25 yards. I actually set elavation at that distance then adjust accordingly at closer distances. In reality the majority of my guns will print the same POI at closer distances when set at 25 yards.

4. Son of Erin, Infidel

Son of Erin, Infidel XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are going to be using your pistol for personal defense, 10 yards is a good sight in range. Otherwise, whatever you feel is best. Probably not beyond 25 yards for hand-held.

5. buzzgreenberg@msn.com

buzzgreenberg@msn.com XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you can keep it in the black at 10 yds add 5 more and continue...etc. Shoot at near point blank add a few yards each time you learn to control the weapon at that distance.
    Starting at long range (more than 25Yards) can be a challenge to all but an experienced marksman.

6. pghjim

pghjim XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You have not mentioned what you will be doing with the gun. If it is competitive sports I would go for 25, if personal defense 15. I like to play with my guns that I carry by setting up soup cans 35-50 yards, so I set it up for 25. So tell us...what are you going to be doing with that new sight?

7. AZXD40

AZXD40 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    in AZ the DA will try to hang you for any shot over 21ft, or 7yds.. I do the majority of my pistol practice at or around that range. Just my 2 cents.

8. f4tweet

f4tweet XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 Buzzgreenberg. When I am shooting accurately at 30' and am comfortable, I move the target out to 25 yards. If I can hold-em-and-sqeeze-em correctly this will show how accurate your pistol is and where it is really grouping. I use a light colored profile target so I am sure I can see the front sights. If shot groups are off at 25 yards, correct the sights. Most pistols will shoot a 1-2" group at 30', but you won't know where your sights are until you go 25 yards.I have used this method with my 10mm's, and have been able to hit steel profile targets at 125- 150 yards. My $ .02.

9. Combat Tested

Combat Tested XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the tons of info. My weapon will be a defense weapon. My 20 years has always been qualifying at 25 meters or just blowing off an MP5 in a CQC room. So just trying to see what the rest of the world is doing out there... Thanks for all the info.

10. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Don't mean this as a flame, but I simply believe that you're ill-informed. How about some substantiation? I don't believe you'll find the "7-yd" rule anywhere but in folklore.