Sig Sauer p290 review

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by kalford, Apr 23, 2011.

1. kalford

kalford XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sig Sauer's entry into the increasingly crowded pocket nine arena is interesting to say the least. The gun is as heavy as a g26 with the size profile of a pm9. The cost could get a consumer 2 pf9s and plenty of ammo to get acquainted with them. Taurus' pt709 and Rugers lc9 give the shooter's pinky refuge, so where does the p290 fit into this picture?

For starters, and I believe a feature that cannot be overlooked, the p290 runs! My example is the first gun I have bought that needed no break in, out of the box. I have put 250 rds through my Sig with no gun related malfs. On my second trip to range, she had 2 failure to feeds that I attribute to my larger hands contacting the mag release on the p290s smaller grip frame. While speaking about the smaller grip, Sig did an excellent job stippling the grip. I dare say the best factory stippling job I have encountered.

The p290 departs from the classic p series in that it does not have a traditional double action trigger system, no second strike capability. There are no manual safties, and the gun is in fact dao. Not remotely a bad idea for a pocket pistol, Sig fumbles this idea by delivering a truly BAD double action pull. It is gritty, though I will say, getting smoother with use. I don't bench rest guns, but even with the gritty trigger, hitting human sized silohuttes at 25 yards was easy, and in fact enjoyable. Did I mention that the p290 wieghs as much as a g26?

[​IMG]

That wieght is concentrated in the slide and heavy flared barell. The p290 also comes with real tritium night sites, that make target acquistion with this pocket pistol as easy as using ones primary defensive handgun. Combining the shootability with the reliability mentioned earlier, I believe that Sig has a winner on its hands. I carry a Stoeger 8045 daily, and while the p290 will never replace it for edc, I will ankle/ pocket carry it as a bug.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The grip is shorter than the pt709 slim (also keltec pf9, ruger sr9), a big plus for ankle carry. Also the slides are the same in thickness.[​IMG]

2. 109ace

109ace XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have yet to see one of those at my local shop but it does look like a really good design. Great review and I forgot just how tiny that thing was was. How heavy is the trigger? I use an LCP for pocket carry and the trigger is pretty heavy but it needs to be.

3. kalford

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The trigger is rated at 8lbs but I honestly enjoy the long double action pulls on my Stoeger, and Sig 245, they are rated at 12lbs as the pulls are smoother.

Again though, as with all other nib guns, it is getting better with use.

4. Camper

Camper XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have held one and tried the trigger and it was longer and not nearly as smooth as that of my PM9. Will keep checking them though to see if that was just the trigger on that particular 290.

5. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +220 / 4
    I've held one too.
    The slide is the same width as my P239.
    No advantage to the P290.
    There are plenty of other, better options..
    And this comes from a Sig lover..:shock:;)

6. TSAX

TSAX XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the review

7. mt228

mt228 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This gun amazes me. First, I own a lot of Sigs and am a big fan. I was very excited about this gun when it was first announced, given I was in the market for a pocket pistol. After having played with a new P290, I must say I'm totally disappointed.

Sig appears to have ignored many of the attributes that have made other pocket 9mm's successful. This Sig is too heavy, has a terrible trigger, and is priced way beyond where the market is heading. Then Sig opts to market their own laser for it rather than partnering with CTC (like everyone else does), a big mistake in my book. Then Sig has not made the extended mags available, even though the P290 has been on the market for some time now. Given the size of my hands, the extended mags would be a necessity for me to get a proper grip on this little pistol.

When you consider offerings like the new Ruger LC9 and/or Kahr CM9, that seems to build on the success of other small 9mm's, and are priced a couple hundred dollars less (at a minimum), its hard to see where the P290 is going to fit into this market.

I still haven't purchased a new pocket 9mm, but since the P290 didn't live up to my expectations, it won't be finding a way into my safe.

8. kalford

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all of the replies guys! I plan on hitting the range side by side with my buddy and his g26 tomorow. I'll follow up with any comparison details that stick out to me.

By the way, I paid just under $600 dollars for my Sig and still find it competively priced considering that aftermarket night sights add at least $100 to the price of most carry guns. I also like the fact that Sig didn't just copy another manufacturers design. Honestly, when speaking of Sigs, I think that we all know they are heavy, and have a high bore axis. We should also expect reliability and accuracy. With my trigger smoothing out (a LOT of dry firing) I believe that this gun will live up to the Sig name on all counts. I will definently report here if it lets me down.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  9. SureNSteady

SureNSteady XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    $479 freeship at Bud's right now. With the laser. I may bite.

10. Snaphook

Snaphook XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +154 / 3
    If I didn't already have a PM9 that is a terrific gun I would really consider this Sig. You get Sig quality and I don't mind a bit extra in weight. I don't think the Ruger or any Taurus can compare.

I do agree however that Sig needs to be worried about pricing. If the CM9 performs like the PM9 does, at that lower price point and the ultra small size of the Kahr's, that's a tough gun to beat. If I were looking to buy new I would have a hard time not buying a CM9.

I would like to see Sig come out with a slightly smaller version of this in 380 to compete with the Kahr P380. I know they have the 238, but in a pocket gun I'd rather have the long trigger than the safety (all my defense guns have no manual safety and I don't want 1 odd one).

Great review, update us after shooting please.

11. bigdaddyed85

bigdaddyed85 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have owned a p290 for about 6 months. So far, the slide stop broke, causing the slide to not lock back with an empty magazine because it slides out while firing. The front night sight went out and the laser shuts off when I shoot. Sig customer service is sending me a new front sight, and will send me the laser when they have more produced. Too many problems with this thing in such a short amount of time. All of the extended mags that I have found and used, have a big gap that pinches your hand when you shoot. While my groups were not too bad when taking my time, you can forget any rapid fire if the situation called for it.