SIG Sauer Mosquito & Walther P22 - .22LR

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by xd40xd, Dec 12, 2012.

1. xd40xd

xd40xd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    SIG Sauer Mosquito & Walther P22 - .22LR Pistol​

I am wanting to add a .22 pistol to my collection. Has anyone shot a SIG Sauer Mosquito or Walther P22 .22LR ? I am looking for a little advice on which gun to buy.

I have shot the Walther P22 before, and really like it (jams a little). ​

I have never held or shot the SIG Sauer Mosquito (but I figure its good, since its a SIG)​

They cost about the same. I was planning on the Walther P22, but that was before I saw SIG Sauer had a .22 pistol

Thanks for your help

2. Jbehredt

Jbehredt XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mosquito is a great little gun as long as you shoot CCI mini mags exclusively. Won't cycle a full mag of anything else we've tried. Will run hundreds of the mini mags without interruption. The wife was gun shy and I thought she might enjoy a .22 for awhile. I was right. She drags me to the range now. Only problem I have with it is slowing my shots down so as not to get corrected by range personnel:) Mini mag boxes are $6.77 @ wal mart.

3. divxrippimp

divxrippimp XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not reading thread. P22 is total trash. Feels and looks great. That is it. Pot Metal slide. Jams out the ass. Basically NEEDS home gunsmithing to be usable at all.

No input on the mosquito. But it is a sig. So I'd assume its at least better than the p22.

**Posted from my Moto Charm using Tapatalk**

4. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Don't listen to retards that don't even know the Skeeeter isn't a Sig. It's made by Umarex which makes a number of 22s including the Walther P22.
    I have both and I like them both, as Jbehredt said with 40gr CCI Mini-Mags and the lighter recoil spring they can be great. I had 4 or 5 fails in the first three mags, thousands and thousands of rounds later ( close to 10,000rnds now ) is still runs great. But is seems you get a good one or a bad one, no way to know which. I use my Skeeter to sim my 9mm Sig P228 as now with some mods I made they actually feel and shoot rather close.
    The P22 needs a couple easy mods to make it run really well, but the mods are easy and there is a whole PDF file showing you just how to do it ( you sand a couple of rough edges basically ).
    Some will recommend Rugers and Buckmarks, they're good guns just not what I was looking for.
    You should also take a look at the Bersa 22 mine has been nothing short of fantastic and has been my everyday varmint gun.
    The M&P-22 is also apparently a really great 22 for simulating the full size striker guns like glock, XD and M&Ps.

Sig makes a line called ( I think ) P Series Classic 22, it's thier regular Sig centerfire frames with a dedicated 22 upper. I've heard some good things so far but not enough to say yea or neigh.
    There are also a lot of 22 cal 1911s right now, some good ( GSG which also makes the Sig 1911-22 ) and some not-so-good ( Chiappa ). Browning just came out with one.

5. xd40xd

xd40xd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thank you.. I figured that's why the P22 was jamming a little when I shot it..

I thought the Mosquito was from SIG Sauer too, since it was on the barrel & grip in the picture (Sig Mosquito .22LR Black $289.00 SHIPS FREE )

The Bersa looks like it could be a good little gun

That's the first time I have noticed the M&P 22 <-- lots of good reviews

@Kaboom - So are you saying you like the Bersa over P22 and Mosquito?

6. aceridr50

aceridr50 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another .22 you might want to throw into the mix is the Ruger SR22. Mine has been virtually trouble free for at least 4000 rds so far. I would attribute all of the FTF's to the cheap Remington bulk I fire and that is very few incidents. Check out some of the vids on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

7. AVB

AVB XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had a few issues with my P22 for about the first 100 rounds, the only problem I have had since is a loose barrel nut. I have had it about 10 years now and have never field stripped it. The only think I don't like is the way the hammer catches on the safety, but it has never caused me a problem.

8. AVB

AVB XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just remembered I hate the 10 round capacity on the P22. 10 rounds do not last long in this thing.

9. drs1321

drs1321 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 1
    If I were to buy a .22 it'd be an M&P or Ruger Mark series.

10. AVB

AVB XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would consider the M&P if I was shopping for a .22 today.

11. goody2141

goody2141 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an m&p22, I like it quite a bit, but it is not a tack driver. I have not had one issue with mini-mags. Some issues with ftf with cheap stuff. Blazer works better than the real cheap stuff, but not as well as mini-mags and I think super X.

Shot a mosquito during a CPL class and it struggled with mini-mags.

I'd say go with something that is closest to a set-up you already own, or wish to practice on. There are a lot of options out now. Pick one that fits its intended use.

A lot of the newer 22's i think fit the "just for fun" category (ie. M&P, SR22, Mosquito, P22, ATI 1911-22/SIG 1911-22, Colt 1911-22)

Where if you want something with greater accuracy, and want it to be a bulls-eye gun, go with a Ruger 22/45 or Mark series, or look at a Browning Buckmark

12. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    The Mosquito is a gun inside of a gun, sounds weird but that's essentially what it is if you take one apart. Umarex makes them for Sig to match the regular P series as close as possible for the price. The Skeeter and the P22 are VERY similar inside, not surprising.

As far as Skeeter vs P22 vs Bersa, for ME the pluses for the Bersa are steel slide, a trigger that for me was easy to work on and now I have it running really sweet ( I shot a palm sized group at 147yds last week that kinda blew my mind ), it runs the super cheap Remington Thunderbolts flawlessly all day long even though most guns choke on them and it's just the right size ( the P22 is a bit smaller btw ), I carried it in my pocket all afternoon splitting wood. It was also cheap enough that I won't have a cow if I lose it in the lake or something.
    The P22 was my varmint/dog walking gun before the Bersa came along, I replaced it with the Bersa because of the cheap ammo issue. Nothing wrong with the P22 as far as I'm concerned, the Bersa just one-ups it in that category.

The Mosquito I use exclusively as a trainer for my other Sigs, with a rubber wrap-around grip it feels about the same size and has the same lines as my 9mm P228, it's too big to go in the pocket.

It's mostly going to come down to what you want to do with a 22, once you decide that, it kind of narrows down the choices.

13. xd40xd

xd40xd XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Kaboom Do you have a link to this PDF? I want to give it to my friend who has a P22

14. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    The "trigger ears" is the most important mod:

http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

This is probobly the very best, most professional user produced article I have ever seen on the web.

15. ///MCoupé

///MCoupé XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    look at reviews online about Walther P22 compared to Ruger SR22 and make an informed decision. I had 2 gun shops and a major retailer say don't buy the Walther or Mosquito and two of those places only had Walther in stock which means they lost money by telling me that. Don't ever buy a gun that people say only runs CCI minis reliably.. buy one known to run ALL brands of 22LR.