Sig P238 or Ruger LC9 - What would you do?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Scott_R, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I'm taking Concealed course with wife Saturday, and will submit applications next week.

I'm the PROUD owner of an XDm 9 3.8, which I absolutely love, but I've been thinking that if I decide to carry, it might be a bit large. (I'm a big guy, not a lot of "room" to conceal anything else. ;))

So I've been looking at the Ruger LCP and Sig P238 in .380. The LCP is very small in my hands, and looks like it might actually be too small for me to handle effectively. The Sig P238 is just a dang good looking gun, and I've heard that although there have been spring issues that caused FTE and FTF, they have been fixed. Of course pricing really isn't close, but not too concerned about it.

Then I saw the new Ruger LC9 that will be out shortly. Little bigger than the LCP and in same caliber as my XDm.

I know the XDm will be the nightstand gun, but I'm wondering about getting something a bit smaller to carry.

Here's my quandary; is it good to carry the same caliber, cutting down on the expense of ammo, OR, is the P238 in .380 really that good?

Opinions are completely welcome. I know no one has really seen the LC9 yet, and buying a new gun in first year of production can expose you to some "bugs", but any help will be appreciated!

Scott

2. FatCamXD

FatCamXD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Subd. I have a friend looking at the P238 as well....

3. EsCrasston

EsCrasston XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sure you will hear both sides of the argument on the .380 caliber in general. I'm on the side that supports it, and I own a P238 that I load with Buffalo Bore +P FMJ's and am very happy with it. It is a great gun. IMHO it is on a different playing field than most other guns of its caliber. I chose it because it actually has a set of sights, unlike others such as the LCP. It has been a great gun for me, and 100% reliable. Mine has the night sights (which I LOVE), and I am able to pick up the sights just as easily as I can pick up the ones on my XD40.

As far as the LC9 vs. the P238 I think you are comparing apples to oranges. If you want to stick with the 9mm, I would check out the Sig P290 which would be comparable to the LC9.

4. Shock & Awe

Shock & Awe XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If you want a pocket pistol than you do not want the LC9. The 238 is much smaller. I love my 238 and it is amazing how well it shoots. There have been a few lemons and that should be a concern but if you get one of the good ones then nothing compares. Just give it a little more tlc than you would with a normal gun and it will be 100% reliable.

I also agree with the above post that if you want to stick with 9mm the sig 290 is the way to go. Same exact dimensions as the 238 but it's a 9. I'm excited to try one but it will take a lot to make me want to change from my 238 and its great s/a trigger.

5. towmanred

towmanred XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can't comment on the sig because I haven't seen or held one yet. I have an LCP and love it. If you could hold one with the Pearce grip extension on it it may be fine in your hand. Mine was small when I first got it, but the grip extension made it a totally different gun. I put a crimson trace laser in it and carry it in my back pocket like a wallet. I carry my XD9sc OWB under my shirt. The LC9 does look good and I'm tempted by it. I heard the sigs are a little pricey too.
    My friend has a Taurus 709 slim which is similar in size to the LC9 and has well over 3000 rounds through it and no problems, don't know if you've looked into those.

6. FatCamXD

FatCamXD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a friend who has the 709 also. Very nice gun for 400 bucks. Nice feel for a single stack 9mm.

7. PHATSPEED7X

PHATSPEED7X XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have you considered the Ruger SR9C? Great gun! Sub-compact/compact design. I'm a small guy (5'7" 125lb), and with a IWB holster you can't tell it's on my person.

8. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 4
    I agree with all of this.^^^^^^^^

Are you looking for a pocket pistol or a general CCW pistol.:confused:
    There is a difference...

The LCP with the finger extension helps a lot with larger hands.
    I wouldn't trade my LCP for 2 P238s and I'm a Sig lover..:oops:
    And yes, I have shot them both...

9. Bulk Ammo

Bulk Ammo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I haven't been able to handle the Sig. I have handled the Ruger. I would probably lean towards the Ruger due to my experience with the LCP. I did wait to pick up the LCP, due to the recalls that have plaged Ruger in the last couple years. For that reason I would probably look at the Kel Tec PF9 or a Kahr.

If your open to suggestions I would also take a look at the CZ Rami 9/40. It's a rather small package for the amount of firepower you can carry. Price range would be within the Sig range. Best of luck to you.

10. Scott_R

Scott_R XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the post, and you've got a point there I hadn't considered about wanting a pocket pistol or a CCW pistol.

That one I'll have to give some thought to.

Thanks.

11. Scott_R

Scott_R XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the input to all.

The main point I'm getting thus far is I need to decide if what I want is a pocket or a carry pistol.

I REALLY like the looks of the P238, looking all mini 1911 (even though it's not).

The LCP is still an option with grip extensions, and I guess I'll just have to do some more research on some of the other options that have been mentioned.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

12. js415

js415 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the LC9 on order from my local shop.

It will be the first one he gets in, and I volunteered to be a test subject.

Means I get to take it home, and then give it to them for a little while to test and shoot.

I get a great price out of the deal!!!

Jerry

13. island18

island18 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380, great pocket gun with laser, all for around $350.00.
    450 rounds later not one problem to report and I carry this little gun every day. Have all the goodies of the full size gun in a very small package

14. Hooz

Hooz XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I just handled one of these today for the first time. It's a nice little gun, but the laser if really difficult to turn on and off... At least on the one I played with. Other than that, it's a pretty sweet little rig. I might get one for pocket carry myself.

15. Scott_R

Scott_R XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After some much research, the CHL class I just took, and knowing my body type (ROUND), I've decided I want to pocket carry once my license arrives.

So now I'm considering a Ruger LCP w/ CT laser or a Kahr PM380, and adding a laser.

While pricing isn't that big of a deal, and reading what others are saying about the LCP being hard on the hands, I guess I need to go shoot both of them.