Springfield XD Forum banner

Sig mags suck

5K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  Brickboy240 
#1 ·
Loading up before hitting the range and I can literally load 3 15rd mags for the HK VP9 faster or just as fast as it takes to load 1 15rd mag for the Sig 229! :mad: I can load 3 mags for my G17 about as fast as it takes to load 1 mag for the Sig. The Sig mags feel gritty and the feed lips are longer than they need to be IMO. Even if they get smoother over time, I told my self today that I'd probably never carry the Sig for a CC gun. I can't imagine trying to do a reload under the stress in a SHTF situation, if it got to that point. I'm gonna be buying some MEC-GAR mags, but they'll be the extended 17rd mags that will only be used for range work. I've got a lot of guns, of varying brands, and the Sig mags are the worst to load hands down. There's nothing smooth about them. Anyone else have this issue? Surely I don't have the only 2 shitty Sig mags out there. :confused:

#3 ·
They aren't marked at all other than "Sig Sauer 229-1 9mm"

#5 ·
Then I gotta get some MecGar mags. These just aren't gonna cut it and I have too many other guns to get irritated with this one because of piss poor mags. Hopefully I can find some better mags that fit flush like these or this baby, as much as I like the gun, is hitting the chopping block.

#6 ·
I'm with Yellow, I probably have 40 Sig P series mags for my 226's, 229, 220, most being aftermarket MecGar mags with no trouble. But even the factory mags have been fine.

On a related note, I've often thought the Sig P220 mag is the best mag on the planet.

#12 ·
Arkansas

#15 ·
I may be IN Arkansas, but am from Oklahoma. So what does your post mean?

#22 ·
Sig 220 followed by a 1911 so.......

So OP, loose rounds in your pocket or not?

#24 ·
I dunno, I was just wondering why hand loading mags was the end of the world, then THIS happened lol.

#30 ·
Was the Delta Elite a revolver that we've never heard about?

#34 ·
Maybe it's a "mid coast" thing. o_O

#50 ·
The 15rd mags for the mid-sized SIG 9mms is a bit stiff to load. However, my stock SIG mags for my P228 that are 13rd mags, seem to be very easy to load. Remember that the P228/P229 sized SIGs were designed originally, to take a 13rd mag...not a 15rd mag. The 15rd Mec Gars (which I have...and are stiff to load the last 2-3 rounds) were an afterthought.

Find some factory 13rd mags for your P229 and you will like them. I have 4 13rd mags for my P228 and they load and run fine.

Yes...the P220 mags and P225 mags are a breeze to load.

#51 · (Edited)
Except the new P229 (P229-1) use different magazines than the P228. They (P229-1) have a wider body and to the best of my knowledge have never been offered in 13rd capacity. Yes the P228 magazine will work but it fits rather loose and poorly in the P229-1 frames.

#52 ·
Except the new P229 (P229-1) use different magazines than the P228. They (P229-1) have a wider body and to the best of my knowledge have never been offered in 13rd capacity. Yes the P228 magazine will work but it fits rather loose and poorly in the P229-1 frames.
Moral of this story is to buy older Sigs..

Back before they started making 20 variations of the same basic pistol...:roll:
And came with stock Mec-Gar mags..8)

Anything that sports 'W. Germany' on the slide is a great choice...:mrgreen:

Oops, I sold this one..;-)

#53 ·
Moral of this story is to buy older Sigs..

Back before they started making 20 variations of the same basic pistol...:roll:
And came with stock Mec-Gar mags..8)

Anything that sports 'W. Germany' on the slide is a great choice...:mrgreen:
Oops, I sold this one..;-)
Naturally I couldn't agree more and was a bit surprised that my "German" 245 even needed trigger work to bring it in line with the rest of my Sig stable, there really IS a difference between the WGs and everything that came later.

#54 ·
Yep!

If it says "made in W. Germany" or "Montage Suisse" on the slide...it is GTG 9 times out of 10.

All my SIGs are W. German or Swiss made guns from 1991 or older. They all run like sewing machines.

People do seem to have good luck with the newer SIGs..maybe they solved their QC problems from the first generation of NH made guns.

Did not know the P229 and P228 take different mags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.