Sig 556, DPMS, or wait for the Bushmaster ACR?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by BanditSRT8, Nov 6, 2008.

1. BanditSRT8

BanditSRT8 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Ok, so like everyone else I want to get a few toys before our new leadership re-institutes the Assault Weapons ban.

I'm NOT a rifle guy, but want to get into them. I know an AR style weapon will suit me best. I'd like as many bells & whistles as possible while maintaining practicality. Good set of vivid open sights, an addition of a red dot, and pistol foregrip and taclight should be good enough for me.

Ever since hearing about the Magpul Masada, I have wanted one. Well now it's coming out as the Bushmaster ACR. Problem is that it may not be ready before a new law is passed, so I'm not sure waiting is the best idea.

SO from what's ready to ship I think I have it narrowed down to a Sig or maybe a DPMS. I am tempted by the low prices of the DPMS line but know nothing about their quality and reliability.

ANY feedback pros/cons on the Sig 556 or DPMS/Panther Arms line would be appreciated.

2. RyanH

RyanH XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If you're willing to drop the coin on a 556 why are you not willing to do the same on a high quality AR?

I'd say forget the Sig and buy a nice Colt, LMT, Noveske, or buy the parts for a high quality home build and be done with it.

3. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I have not fired the Sig but I hear they have balance issues. If you want a quality AR then check out RockRiver as well.

4. StewieGriffin

StewieGriffin XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why not a Robinson Arms XCR? If not, then yeah, I'd pick a well built, high end AR over a SIG556 any day! But that's just my opinion...

5. TMP

TMP XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Don't hold your breath for Bushmaster to bring the ACR to the market. DPMS will serve you well but you could get something a lot more quality with a little more coin. RRA, LMT, Noveske, Stag, ADS.

6. John A.

John A. XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    I've not waited on the Magpul/bushy. They've screwed themselves by not already having it released. It's only been like 2 years now since they were introduced and still no product.

7. EdSky

EdSky XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Forgive me, for I'm just learning, too. So the Stag is pretty good? I went shopping yesterday and there was an Armalite (A2), some Bushmasters, a DPMS (they said wasn't as accurate), and a Stag.

8. RyanH

RyanH XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I owned a Stag upper that ran flawlessly for me. They're good guns IMO. Buy with Confidence.

FYI: Stag is the commercial brand name for CMT, who makes parts for Colt and other military suppliers.

9. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Why not go for a piston driven AR they'd be in your price range and offer some of the benefits of the Sig 556.

10. RoninSteel

RoninSteel XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you want a 5.56 NATO chambered rifle, the SIG 556 would be a great choice as its reliability is through the roof. Its a great rifle and I wanted to get one for awhile now but was waiting for SIG to offer larger calibers.

If you want a larger caliber piston system, the XCR offers the same reliability as the SIG556 and multiple calibers to choose from at the moment. IMO, you can't go wrong with either the SIG or the XCR.

That being said, absolutely nothing wrong with going with a Stoner design AR-15 or AR-10. Great rifles and in a SHTF scenario, if your rifle needs a couple of parts you could potentially cannibalize parts from another rifle if needed.

11. billbrasky

billbrasky XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    i wish sig would just hurry up and make a Ar15 already (and i wish glock and ruger did also) i looked into the ar15, the sig 556, and XCR.

here is my thoughts.

the XCR is slow on updates, slow little company, neat gun. I am somewhat afraid it will be orphaned.

The sig is nice i hear the REAL 550 is the shiznit, but for some reason they wont sell it to us, the 556 is kinda the bastard step child, like the XCR you dont have a whole cottage industry built around it supplying mods, and accessories. You pretty much better like it out of the box, and like the few mods and acessories sig sells.

DPMS is fair mid level ar15, kinda was asked already, if you are willing to spend over $1,300 and maybe as much as $1,600 or more for a sig 556, why not a LWRC ar15, it has the piston upper like the sig, but most parts are compatible with regular ar15 ... modularity. It shares 90% of the parts with a mil spec ar15.

you can get them for $1,599 but i would personally step up to the $1,795 model with the acessory rail

http://www.eastcoastfirearms.com/gallery/default.asp?parent_id=127&child_id=0&is_gallery=1

this quandry is why i dont have a ar15 yet, i started looking and paying attention about a year and half ago ... seeing the writing on the wall.

imediately heard about the awesomeness that is the magpul/bushie masada. i dont know if we will see one in time.

my first choice would be the Fn SCAR but again probably wont be available in time.

a lesser ar15 in hand is worth two in the bush.

get it bush. pun intended.

12. Aaron 2.0

Aaron 2.0 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are looking in the price range of 1500 to 1700 (Sig type price) go get yourself a Stag2T,EoTech 512, and maybe a new stock and pistol grip for around the same price of the 556. I love my Stag.

13. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    I agree partially. I think the XCR offers good reliability if it lives up to it's testing and reputation, but if BHO pushes for an AWB it might not even be available to the public before the AWB passes.

Piston driven ARs are currently out on the market. HK416s, POF-USA, Ares-Defense, and several other companies making kits to convert ARs.

14. RobFMJ

RobFMJ XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  15. Atrain

Atrain XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I did not like the feel of the sig. You know how a gun just feels better than another one. I just couldn't put my finger on it. I think it looks bada** and I love sig but that is not the one for me. I think the next will be a dpms .308 they have a great selection and they just feel right. Thats my 2 pennies worth.